News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That cable gets severed, you're talking serious injuries.

(That's the sort of thing those afraid to ride will think)
Isn't that true of the monorail too? That berm collapses and you're talking serious injury too. Or for that matter any of the rides in the parks that go up high? What is the history of gondola lines snapping or being severed? There are enough of these worldwide now we should have a pretty solid history. I believe it's been something like 40 years since the last fatality from a closed cabin gondola accident in the US. It's actually one of the safest forms of transport. If someone with bad intentions wants to attack the system they could probably figure out a way to take it down, but the same goes for monorails, boats, busses or even park rides.

GCTales

Isn't that true of the monorail too? That berm collapses and you're talking serious injury too. Or for that matter any of the rides in the parks that go up high? What is the history of gondola lines snapping or being severed? There are enough of these worldwide now we should have a pretty solid history. I believe it's been something like 40 years since the last fatality from a closed cabin gondola accident in the US. It's actually one of the safest forms of transport. If someone with bad intentions wants to attack the system they could probably figure out a way to take it down, but the same goes for monorails, boats, busses or even park rides.

I think lift blog posted a list of accidents earlier in the thread... IIRC, it worked out to an avg of one per year...worldwide.

Will try to find

Creathir

Agreed it is statistically safe.

As far as cable severing, they have usually been due to outside forces (airplanes, boats, etc) but it has happened. They also are occurring in the natural location of a gondola system: ski resorts and mountainous regions.

Obviously this will be much closer to the ground, but they certainly are not without blemish on their record.

The difference between the monorail or the gondola is the impact to the system as a whole.

If a portion of the beam gets knocked out, only the train above it is affected.

If the gondola cable is severed, all gondolas currently on the system are impacted.

Once again, I understand this is an extremely unlikely event (on the scale of a ticket price decrease) but it still is a reality of the system.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Once again, I understand this is an extremely unlikely event (on the scale of a ticket price decrease) but it still is a reality of the system.

Planes are big bricks that literally fall and crash from miles in the sky when things don't goto plan. Yet, millions get on them.

You're focusing on a type of person that is literally a corner case...

Solution should be: "I'm sorry you don't want to use the complementary transportation options ma'am, the baggage or concierge's desk can help you arrange other forms of private transportation if you wish"

End of Story.

Kamikaze

As far as cable severing, they have usually been due to outside forces (airplanes, boats, etc) but it has happened. They also are occurring in the natural location of a gondola system: ski resorts and mountainous regions.

The 'natural location' of a man made transportation system, eh? Am I unaware of geologically created gondola systems in the Rockies or something?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The 'natural location' of a man made transportation system, eh? Am I unaware of geologically created gondola systems in the Rockies or something?

Oh please you're grasping at things to be offended by, I'm sure the reference is how a gondola system/aerial tramway reaches a more direct route from A to Z as opposed to a series of switchbacks and bridges to cross from one mountain ridge to another (with intervening ones as well)

Kamikaze

Oh please you're grasping at things to be offended by, I'm sure the reference is how a gondola system/aerial tramway reaches a more direct route from A to Z as opposed to a series of switchbacks and bridges to cross from one mountain ridge to another (with intervening ones as well)

I wasn't offended. I was making a sarcastic response to a bad statement. He meant 'normal' - as in, thats where most gondola systems are. Not 'natural'.

Kamikaze

:) When combined with the rest, its a bucket of crazy unless guests are expected to fly into the air and grab a gondola.

Well, no. People thought they were going to build big 'loading' structures so that you would in effect board on the 'second floor' instead of ground level. This is feasible in some situations, but not necessary here. I went on on system at a ski resort somewhere where the first floor was a restaurant and one of the lifts was on the roof. Forget where. With this system they have no reason to do that because they aren't hard up for space, and putting it above ground level just makes it harder for people to get to it. The last tower will just drop the line a little more severely so that you don't need a giant area where no one is allowed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom