Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I looked and it I've already CarouselOf sourced in my Tomorrowland rumor back in October when he also said:

November 2, 2016: @CarouselOf (Post 1, Post 2) on Twitter is reporting that a new Tomorrowland music loop should debut in 2017.

October 21, 2016: @CarouselOf on Twitter is reporting that Tomorrowland will be renamed to Discoveryland.

October 9, 2016: @CarouselOf on Twitter is reporting that Tomorrowland may soon see a name change.

Are you also tracking their swings and misses? They have had two different renames for TL. They said Stitch was already completely removed when it wasn't and in direct contradiction to Disney saying it was going in seasonal mode. They said CoP was going for a multi-month refurb starting February, which it didn't. They identified the seasonal music playing in TL as the new BGM for TL. They said RnRC was getting a GotG overlay soon back in October.

Kman101

I'm sure they "hear things". A lot of stuff gets tossed around. It doesn't mean it was false at the time. I think their track record is more spotty than good, and maybe they are being fed false info to catch a leak, but they could have heard it in a meeting, or from an uninformed source. Who knows? Our insiders here are fantastic but they also don't always hear or know everything going on either. I'd like to believe they know everything but sometimes things slip by (or they keep it very close to the vest to protect their sources). We'll probably just have to wait and see.

Discoveryland makes sense to me after they repainted the rocks, repainted Astro ... but then you have the Space Mountain building, the new Joffrey's kiosk that copies it ... it's just such a mish-mash of themes. It makes sense to change the Sci-Fi overlay the front entrance received. I'm actually not against Discoveryland, but I think it's sort of a lazy excuse to let them do whatever they want (but they do that anyway ...) with the land, instead of trying to hold to the Tomorrowland theme.

Discoveryland makes more sense for a rename of Future World, though I know many would be against that.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Not necessarily opposed to the name "Discoveryland", just don't like how there is already the similarly named "Discovery Island" at Animal Kingdom. Then again I've been known to inadvertently call Tomorrowland "Future World" and vice versa, so maybe its just me...

Rteetz

Not necessarily opposed to the name "Discoveryland", just don't like how there is already the similarly named "Discovery Island" at Animal Kingdom. Then again I've been known to inadvertently call Tomorrowland "Future World" and vice versa, so maybe its just me...
Well there was also Discovery Island just outside MK which was a literal island. The discoveryland/island name has been used many times.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed.

What if the future land looked more like these though?

So, for the overall aesthetic we know will incorporate:
  • Space Mountain
  • new Joffrey's kiosk
  • the repainted CoP
  • blue metallic rocks
  • colored lighting at night
  • the slim possibility of a Tron coaster

So, basically so far:
  • smooth white rounded shapes
  • bold splashes of color
  • no techno-gears
  • no exposed metallic beams

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, for the overall aesthetic we know will incorporate:
  • Space Mountain
  • new Joffrey's kiosk
  • the repainted CoP
  • blue metallic rocks
  • colored lighting at night
  • the slim possibility of a Tron coaster

So, basically so far:
  • smooth white rounded shapes
  • bold splashes of color
  • no techno-gears
  • no exposed metallic beams
I've said it before.... think more how the overall land looked in 1975.

RSoxNo1

I've suggested that "Discoveryland" would be better suited as a concept for Epcot's Future World. I also think Discoveryland is a relatively lazy name but obviously works better in Magic Kingdom vs. Epcot (strictly from a name standpoint). For Epcot, I prefer the name "Discovery Expo".

BalooChicago

I've said it before.... think more how the overall land looked in 1975.

They made structural changes for the 94 modifications did they not? The "gear" columns for the wedway are not just cladding but wholly different structure.

I think it would be cool if they intertwined a modern coaster (Tron or similar) with the original space mountain, even if it means giving up one side.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They made structural changes for the 94 modifications did they not? The "gear" columns for the wedway are not just cladding but wholly different structure..
Not that much. The WEDWay supports are mainly light cladding around the 1974/5 concrete supports.

The biggest alteration would be the AE Transmission tower that would remain. Albeit with cosmetic work.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Well there was also Discovery Island just outside MK which was a literal island. The discoveryland/island name has been used many times.

True, but didn't they rename that section of AK after the actual Ft. Wilderness area attraction had closed for good? I don't believe both Discovery Islands existed (in name) as functional entities at the same time. I'd be a little more okay if they wanted to call Tomorrowland "Discoveryland" if they opted to rename AK's Discovery Island.

Last edited:

doctornick

Your final image is closest ;)

Still not saying it'll happen though.

if something like that happens, as well as the rumored enhancement to the MK RR, I'd love to see if they would shut down the RR to add a show scene of whatever ride gets build as part of the RR ride (a la Splash).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom