Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clemmo

Speedway and SGE are slated to close in the next few years.

SGE may stay seasonal for the very near future. The Speedways replacement is still being decided.
Not sure if I'm reading too much into this but does that mean SGE replacement has been green lit? Or is it still up in the air as to what will replace it

Yensid23

I absolutely love the Speedway and would hate to see it replaced- my dad used to joke (when I was 15) that I could get my driver's license if I could drive the car all the way around without hitting the rail.

I honestly don't think Tron rides would do well here. It worked in Shanghai, but here in America people are too darned attached to their antique cars & Disney rides...

clemmo

Just from the sound of what the insiders are saying I'd guess SGE will be open around Christmas time for then that could be it or after Easter 2018. I can't imagine it staying open beyond then. What I'm thinking is once all of the new stuff comes online in late 2019 and early 2020 at the other parks they figure the crowds will be more spread out around the other parks than they currently are so they can afford to close some of the Mk like SGE and speedway that won't hurt crowds too badly. Anyone know if buzz is closing or was that a false rumor?

BalooChicago

I should add there were a few supports (like the ones you highlighted) that were stripped back to the steel;

I feel like I'm a doubting Thomas, but again I ask, are you sure? I really think some of the supports, both those that support the track, and those that support the roof, were outright replaced in 94. As an architect I would never expect to remove the existing cladding and find steel in that shape/condition. Aren't the original supports cast in place concrete? [edit:No, not Cast-In-Place; I still think some were outright replaced though) Maybe @articos knows.

gmajew

Premium Member
Just from the sound of what the insiders are saying I'd guess SGE will be open around Christmas time for then that could be it or after Easter 2018. I can't imagine it staying open beyond then. What I'm thinking is once all of the new stuff comes online in late 2019 and early 2020 at the other parks they figure the crowds will be more spread out around the other parks than they currently are so they can afford to close some of the Mk like SGE and speedway that won't hurt crowds too badly. Anyone know if buzz is closing or was that a false rumor?

This works if it was in use all the time now. It was not open during spring break weeks besides two. The park needs the ride. Get cracking and get it built. Waiting is stupid.

Kman101

This works if it was in use all the time now. It was not open during spring break weeks besides two. The park needs the ride. Get cracking and get it built. Waiting is stupid.

Exactly.

Are no guests going to guest relations and complaining about the attraction being closed? Doesn't matter whether it was good or not ... they really shouldn't wait on this. Put in WiR and call it a day. Why do they keep pushing it off? Because they can get away with it? Must not have a long build time or they want to save it for a promotional push later.

DocMcHulk

7-8 years ago maybe. Behind the CoP.
The only time I've had a reliable tip (no, not from a bus or monorail driver) was with regards to Tron, and it was similar to what you described (not replacing an existing attraction). Although, mine was more cryptic and seemed to be somewhere else in Tomorrowland.
(Had to go find some old DMs to you to remember the exact wording of my info)

Last edited:

DocMcHulk

My guesses (everything's scaled properly according to Google Maps:
9l93so.jpg

Above: Would really encroach on Space Mtn, TTA and the show building would soar over the Circus area of the park.

s12a84.jpg

Above: Too tall for Main Street, would work if sunk (very unlikely to happen) and would require removal of CoP.

t9dzlw.jpg

Above: Would be a horrible aesthetic choice, visible from Monorail and blocking Space Mountains view on the lake. WOuld also encroach on TTA and Space Mountain.

2zzsrd3.jpg

Above: Show building would be ugly, but would be concealed for the most part. Train and TTA would remain unaffected (train could pass over/under the transition between the show building and all of the elevated track/walkways). The "dome" would visually intrude into the Dumbo/Goofy area but Autopia already does that. This would open up the load area for the Speedway to be changed into retail and/or a flat ride. This would open up a fair amount of "walkable space" for the park and would probably help free up that whole crowded corridor around Speedway/Tea Cups.

Per my previous post, #4 is what I was told back in 2012. I wasnt told the exact layout, but that general area was the location. And I have the DM to @marni1971 to prove it.

clemmo

Exactly.

Are no guests going to guest relations and complaining about the attraction being closed? Doesn't matter whether it was good or not ... they really shouldn't wait on this. Put in WiR and call it a day. Why do they keep pushing it off? Because they can get away with it? Must not have a long build time or they want to save it for a promotional push later.
Yes either open it full time until you're ready or begin construction asap. Is WIR still the expected SGE replacement?

articos

I feel like I'm a doubting Thomas, but again I ask, are you sure? I really think some of the supports, both those that support the track, and those that support the roof, were outright replaced in 94. As an architect I would never expect to remove the existing cladding and find steel in that shape/condition. Aren't the original supports cast in place concrete? [edit:No, not Cast-In-Place; I still think some were outright replaced though) Maybe @articos knows.
I believe Martin is right. I know the structure of the WEDWay beamway is original. I don't recall the base supports being replaced. Some of the roof supports have been. You can see the steel here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/7c/59/527c59f6f1735e9ab73ab3ae7df91316.jpg. It's not a great view, but I'll hunt for better. DL's very similar steel is here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ban...illaGrowl/TomorrowlandConstruction05.jpg.html. (Neither of those photos are mine. I'm just posting for reference, so please ask permission from the respective owners for any reuse.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom