News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Jones14

The problem with allowing DHS to rest on its shows is that said shows have not been kept on an update/replace schedule that is anywhere near acceptable.

I'll start considering that excuse when Hollywood gets a SINGLE show on the same level as Frozen: Live at the Hyperion, Mickey and the Wondrous book, Disneyland's Fantasmic, or even Festival of the Lion King.

Speaking of the last one, if DHS is the show park, why does Animal Kingdom (which in two months will have twice as many rides as its older sibling) have a much stronger entertainment lineup?

DDLand

No, because I personally love clones. I hope to see straight up clones of Disney's best offerings scattered around every resort. I'm not the sort of person to disparage a well done clone. I'd love nothing more than for them to do it everywhere, and often. And that's coming from someone who visits most of the intl parks every couple of years but can recognize the value in-reusing a ride concept that is successful in different markets. ;)

But Toy Story? And the quality of the Toy Story offerings that Disney already has demonstrated around the globe? No, I don't really care for more of that.

There are currently 6 more Toy Story rides, with another 5 currently under construction. So that makes a total of 20 Toy Story attractions before any other Manias might be built. No mas! What's the next most represented property at Disney parks as far as ride count? Star Wars (it'll be that in a few years right)? And even after SWL opens at the two parks, that'll be 8 total attractions and 2 lands. Toy Story will have 20 rides across 5 lands. Enough.

Every single Disney Resort is well represented in parades, shows, lands, shops, dining, meet & greets and rides as far as Toy Story is concerned. If people want that trend to continue, I guess Disney should continue to offer it. Personally, I think Toy Story has enough visibility. It's BY FAR the most represented thing at Disney Parks, unless you count the Princess line (though I think at this point, the collective representation of Toy Story beats all of the princess offerings!)
This is so true.

Toy Story is represented in 10 of the 12 parks with rides. Think about that. Only Disney's Animal Kingdom and Epcot are spared from the stunning mediocrity of Toy Story rides. In 2015 around 115 Million guests visited parks with a Toy Story ride. That compares to say Harry Potter where about 34 Million visited parks with that IP on display.

These numbers exclude both Shanghai and Hollywood which were both 2016.

The exposure is just insane.

Luckily there's hope. Hong Kong Disneyland has plans to replace its' Tomorrowland Toy Story Attraction with a Marvel one. Fight IP with IP! :D

Though there are dark clouds gathering on the horizon. On French language sites there are rumblings that Disney wants a Toy Story Midway Mania up and running at WDS.
:banghead::eek::mad:

;)

I'll give Shanghai credit. Their Shooter attraction is the best Toy Story ride in the world. One of the hidden gems at Shanghai.

That new Toy Story Land on the other hand...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've done the online map research - The guest area of DHS is NOT 154 acres, more like 70 acres, give or take a couple. No amount of fanboi wishing or "official facts book" quoting will change that.

Attendance will jump. No one is saying otherwise. But, you are saying that two SW attractions and a Slinky coaster is going to translate to 10 MILLION MORE guests annually at DHS. Just wanted to clarify that, thanks.
Well, at only 70 acres, after SW opens, guests should be prepared to do the "DHS Conga" and visit all the attractions in strict lock-step conga-line fashion. There won't be any room for just wandering around the park.

Goob

With all the Toy Story attractions in both Disneyland and WDW, does having a Toy Story land in Florida and California mean all those attractions will be replaced since they are getting their own dedicated land? I hope so.

doctornick

Can we all just agree that Studios is about more than rides, and that entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?
Can we all just agree that EPCOT is about more than rides, and that food/dining/entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?
Can we all just agree that Animal Kingdom is about more than rides, and that animals/entertainment/theater shows have always been easily as important for the park?

Sure I think that's true.

And that's why IMHO they don't need as many rides as a "normal" amusement/theme park would be expected to have since they have alternative attractions. So, instead of the 30+ rides I might expect at a "normal" park, it would be reasonable for parks heavy in other attractions to have fewer. IMHO 12-15 or so rides is a good base number for such parks.

Less than 10 rides in a park is embarrassing no matter how much other stuff is offered. Especially given the admission prices charged -- even considering multi-park tickets.

rushtest4echo

Sure I think that's true.

And that's why IMHO they don't need as many rides as a "normal" amusement/theme park would be expected to have since they have alternative attractions. So, instead of the 30+ rides I might expect at a "normal" park, it would be reasonable for parks heavy in other attractions to have fewer. IMHO 12-15 or so rides is a good base number for such parks.

Less than 10 rides in a park is embarrassing no matter how much other stuff is offered. Especially given the admission prices charged -- even considering multi-park tickets.

Since we're only discussing the merits of rides at the three specific parks that I mentioned- only one them has ever had 10 rides and it may have gotten to 11 for a short amount of time if you factor in the seasonal nature of Horizons and Wonders of Life, or unless you want to count the Friendships as a ride (I think they got to 10 for a period, but maybe not). It's been 10 or 9 for the majority of EPCOT's entire history, even during the EPCOT Center golden age. Studios may eventually get over 10 at some point in the distant future, but with GMR being replaced, the odds of that happening any time soon are next to nill unless they decide to toss another carny ride into Toy Story Land. Animal Kingdom will have 9 rides when Pandora opens, but I'm hoping that a tenth ride never shows up until they bulldoze 2 or 3 of the Dinoland attractions which would keep them from reaching 10.

So if you're saying that 3 of WDW's parks have existed in an embarrassing state for the vast, vast, vast majority of their history, you (and some other people here) should probably take your money elsewhere where there are more rides offered. ;)

I dont think thats what you were implying but it's still a fact that the 3 minor gates have mostly had less than 10 rides for all of their history.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

So... what's Hollywood Studios' theme again?

The same theme as all postmodern movie parks. They're all bad. Every region has em, and they're all filled with old IP and stale "behind the scenes" concepts. It fell out of favor with the public in the late 90's. That's why both Disney and Universal have been moving away from that facet of storytelling with almost every move they make at their studio parks.

Sure, the IP tie ins will always be there, but the "behind the scenes" and "movie set" stuff isn't a draw. Even the new movie parks in China and Dubai seem to stay away from much of that type of storytelling. The unfortunate thing is that both Orlando Studios parks were built in those concepts and are having severe identity issues while moving away from them.

Uni Hollywood has an ace up thier sleeve with the tram tour- but even that is moving away from being a tour and more towards immersive scenes closer to a typical ride story. Other related stuff around Uni Hollywood has been disappearing too.

Last edited:

doctornick

So you're saying that 3 of WDW's parks have existed in an embarrassing state for the vast, vast, vast majority of their history. If that's the case, you (and some other people here) should probably take your money elsewhere where there are more rides offered. ;)

Well, I would indeed argue that DAK and (especially) DHS have always been under build and underdeveloped and have warranted significant expansions for their entire existence, yes. If they weren't part of a larger resort, they would have withered and died long ago and only get the crowds they do because of multi-park tickets.

Epcot at least has had a ton of "other stuff" to do and the attractions it has had often were so time intensive that they filled the role of multiple rides in a more typical park. So, it tends to get a pass from me in terms of total count. That said, I do think it would benefit from some more rides as well, which I'm pleased to see seems to be planned. Re-opening WoL in some capacity would also be a good idea IMHO.

rushtest4echo

Well, I would indeed argue that DAK and (especially) DHS have always been under build and underdeveloped and have warranted significant expansions for their entire existence, yes. If they weren't part of a larger resort, they would have withered and died long ago and only get the crowds they do because of multi-park tickets.

Epcot at least has had a ton of "other stuff" to do and the attractions it has had often were so time intensive that they filled the role of multiple rides in a more typical park. So, it tends to get a pass from me in terms of total count. That said, I do think it would benefit from some more rides as well, which I'm pleased to see seems to be planned. Re-opening WoL in some capacity would also be a good idea IMHO.

I agree that EPCOT and the other parks offer more than just rides. That was my post on the page before. :)

Im always for more rides too though! And in the rides dept, the parks could use more. I was just trying to say that those 3 parks specifically are geared toward draws not relating to rides (of course, rides are still a major factor) and its always been that way.

Last edited:

Hula Popper

Well, I would indeed argue that DAK and (especially) If they weren't part of a larger resort, they would have withered and died long ago and only get the crowds they do because of multi-park tickets.

Yeah, Walt Disney World really stumbled into some dumb luck when they happened to decide to make those Walt Disney World theme parks part of the Walt Disney World resort, instead of stand-alone parks elsewhere.

Goob

I realize this is off topic, but can someone provide a quick answer? Any word on a new name change or is it gonna stay Disney's Hollywood Studios? I would like to see a name change. There's nothing "studios" about it anymore.

Phicinfan

I realize this is off topic, but can someone provide a quick answer? Any word on a new name change or is it gonna stay Disney's Hollywood Studios? I would like to see a name change. There's nothing "studios" about it anymore.
Multiple insiders have stated that the park would be re-named. No definitive name has been released or confirmed yet. I think...the leading name was Disney's Hollywood Experience or something like that.

DDLand

Since we're only discussing the merits of rides at the three specific parks that I mentioned- only one them has ever had 10 rides and it may have gotten to 11 for a short amount of time if you factor in the seasonal nature of Horizons and Wonders of Life, or unless you want to count the Friendships as a ride (I think they got to 10 for a period, but maybe not). It's been 10 or 9 for the majority of EPCOT's entire history, even during the EPCOT Center golden age. Studios may eventually get over 10 at some point in the distant future, but with GMR being replaced, the odds of that happening any time soon are next to nill unless they decide to toss another carny ride into Toy Story Land. Animal Kingdom will have 9 rides when Pandora opens, but I'm hoping that a tenth ride never shows up until they bulldoze 2 or 3 of the Dinoland attractions which would keep them from reaching 10.

So if you're saying that 3 of WDW's parks have existed in an embarrassing state for the vast, vast, vast majority of their history, you (and some other people here) should probably take your money elsewhere where there are more rides offered. ;)

I dont think thats what you were implying but it's still a fact that the 3 minor gates have mostly had less than 10 rides for all of their history.
EPCOT Center was rounded out by shows and such, but let's focus on the rides in particular.

I'm going to do something that pains me as a true Disney's Animal Kingdom fan, but makes a profound point. By my count Disney's Animal Kingdom currently has the equivalent of just under 50 minutes of ride time (according to Wikipedia, so there could be variance). The vast majority of that is derived from two rides. One among the best Disney rides in the world, one a middle of the road ride.

Let's compare that to an admitted outlier attraction at EPCOT Center. The then cutting edge Energy Pavillion. On that one ride alone, you could enter a ride/presentation lasting 45 minutes. One ride consumed nearly as much time as an entire park's roster of rides! :eek:

Losing attractions like Horizons, World of Motion, Imagination, and Body Wars have slammed total ride time. In total, even with Soarin', EPCOT Center/Epcot has apparently lost more than 25 minutes of ride time by my count.

This slide is only going to continue.

When Energy finally is shuttered for a new Roller Coaster, we could be looking at more than 40 minutes more ride time gone.

Even with rumored additions, Epcot will never again reach the amount of time people could spend on rides.

Amazingly, even with more than 1 Billion spent, DHS will be in the same boat. The loss of Tram and GMR ride should evaporate any gains from Star Wars or Toy Story (unless Alcatraz has something up its sleeve).

Modern theme parks. Ride less. Shop more.

Oh, and you're going to need FastPass+!

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Multiple insiders have stated that the park would be re-named. No definitive name has been released or confirmed yet. I think...the leading name was Disney's Hollywood Experience or something like that.
Multiple insiders? Bob Iger himself said it would be renamed.

The rumored leading names seem to be (in no particular order):
Disney Hollywood
Disney's Hollywood
Disney Hollywoodland
Disney's Hollywoodland
Disney's Hollywood Adventure
Disney Hollywood Adventure

Hope that helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom