(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

dennis-in-ct

I would say their key demographic is families..especially with younger children.
There's not much that has more power in making someone open their wallet than their own child's Wishes and Requests.lol
From pirate cruises, pirate's league, to BBB, to character meals, merchandise, movies, and the request for the trip itself. A trip to Disney is almost like a right of passage for a child...the company has tricked us into believing that ;)

I thought the key was to appeal to the parents. The parents spend the money - not the children.

brb1006

Original Poster
Fantasmic over there is a complete train wreck. Far worse than DHS's is compared to the original (which may end up a train wreck too in a few months). DHS may in fact actually have the best Fantasmic soon enough ironically. Don't let the effects and concept arts at Disneysea fool you about Fantasmic. The show is a complete disaster flow/story/music wise.

I'd love to see some of their effects imported over to the US, but the show as a whole is garbage. Even Tokyo's show-obsessed fans don't care for it. When you can't do a character parade masked as a show at Tokyo properly, you've got major problems.

BTW, If you don't want IP crammed into shows that have no business having IP, STAY AWAY FROM TDS.
I was referring to Bravissimo the former water show at Tokyo Disneysea.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We have shifting sands on rumors of changes/additions that are supposed to start next year and we should give any import or worry to an event four years out?

Three years from now, if the rumor continues, you'll have people freaking out because RoL is now their favorite night time show. It'll get much higher reviews than Jungle Book ever did making them rethink that an IP would work better.

Magic Feather

Regarding RoL ratings, as @lentesta said, they are respectable by a large margin, just low compared to other nightime shows. Not to bring the whole Uni debate into this (this is just for a non-Disney industry reference) this show scores realms above Cinematic Spectacular and most others in the industry. No one (well, very few) seems to find RoL to be a bad show, it is just different and a bit underwhelming. It is not the secong coming of (insert your deity of choice) nor the second coming of (insert your devil of choice). As has been said before, this is a long way off, and honestly, the Bobs want their moneys worth on this one instead of cutting their losses (which are too small to be lost). The RoL merch is selling modestly, and unless we see empty shows running, thing look good for the foreseeable future. Esoecially if/when they get those extra few effects working.

ToTBellHop

Regarding RoL ratings, as @lentesta said, they are respectable by a large margin, just low compared to other nightime shows. Not to bring the whole Uni debate into this (this is just for a non-Disney industry reference) this show scores realms above Cinematic Spectacular and most others in the industry. No one (well, very few) seems to find RoL to be a bad show, it is just different and a bit underwhelming. It is not the secong coming of (insert your deity of choice) nor the second coming of (insert your devil of choice). As has been said before, this is a long way off, and honestly, the Bobs want their moneys worth on this one instead of cutting their losses (which are too small to be lost). The RoL merch is selling modestly, and unless we see empty shows running, thing look good for the foreseeable future. Esoecially if/when they get those extra few effects working.
As you imply, all I'm aware of for this show is work to plus it with currently-unsatisfactory effects. I don't believe anyone is seriously discussing a replacement for it. More like IllumiNations, DHS's latest projection-and-three-fireworks show, Happilly Ever After, Fantasmic updates, and a nighttime parade. And a daytime parade.

Maybe after those few projects are done. Oh and the drones and Home Depot Christmas tree display that are supposed to make people want to visit the Springs to buy $70 jeans and a $20 fast food burger (with $10 peppermint bark milkshake!) at Christmas.

lentesta

Premium Member
Here's a comparison of the ratings we've got for the nighttime spectaculars over the last few months, sorted by average overall rating (highest first). I also added in the average rating of all of the park's attractions, for comparison. It's a 5-point scale, with 5 the maximum.

NighttimeSpectaculars.jpg

Four age groups (teens, young adults, over 30's, and seniors) rate RoL lower than any other show (and lower than the average AK attraction). I'm not sure that adding characters to RoL will improve the show for those demographics.

I'm going to head out to see the show again later this week. The LOML hasn't seen it yet, so it'll be good to get her impression.

Magic Feather

Here's a comparison of the ratings we've got for the nighttime spectaculars over the last few months, sorted by average overall rating (highest first). I also added in the average rating of all of the park's attractions, for comparison. It's a 5-point scale, with 5 the maximum.

View attachment 195069
Four age groups (teens, young adults, over 30's, and seniors) rate RoL lower than any other show (and lower than the average AK attraction). I'm not sure that adding characters to RoL will improve the show for those demographics.

I'm going to head out to see the show again later this week. The LOML hasn't seen it yet, so it'll be good to get her impression.
A bit surprised with those numbers. If you don't mind my asking (or if you are able to answer) where did you acquire those stats? Last I saw, Cinematic was doing very poorly with preschool, hence the recent efforts to add the family movie preambles.

TP2000

View attachment 195069

Wow. That kind of data is fascinating, and yet would obviously be alarmingly bad news for TDO execs.

No wonder the show is already heading to Yesterland. Likely after the third fiscal year (2020) they can amortize and pencil out enough of the losses to cushion some of the sting of this failure.

At least it's not as bad as Light Magic.

IanDLBZF

1 being the worst, 5 being the best, correct?

Notes from Neverland

View attachment 195069

Good data, but the sample size of responses for some of the shows (maybe all of the shows) is just too small to draw any sort of firm conclusions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 195069

Ok...

1. The people polled are not a random sample.

2. The number polled for RoL is way too small to be anywhere significant.

3. Oddly, the average rating within each age subgroup is rounded to the nearest half point, while the aggregate rating isn't.

4. According to those polled the rating of attractions for the parks from best to least is...

1. DHS
2. DAK
3. MK
4. USF
5. DCA
6. Epcot

Interesting.

lentesta

Premium Member
Ok...

1. The people polled are not a random sample.

2. The number polled for RoL is way too small to be anywhere significant.

3. Oddly, the average rating within each age subgroup is rounded to the nearest half point, while the aggregate rating isn't.

4. According to those polled the rating of attractions for the parks from best to least is...

1. DHS
2. DAK
3. MK
4. USF
5. DCA
6. Epcot

Interesting.

Not sure I understand the "not a random sample" point. UG/TP users aren't a random sample?

Agreed about the sample size. More is better. I can get the raw data if that would help with #3, once we have enough surveys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom