(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

jaxonp

But Rivers of Light is a loveable and intelligent show that will be ruined by cartoon IP infusion because there's too many braindead morons that want cartoon characters dancing around on waterscreens.

Fantasmic is show at DHS... please people go see that. We don't need another Fantasmic... ours already sucks compared to the original.

AEfx

But Rivers of Light is a loveable and intelligent show that will be ruined by cartoon IP infusion because there's too many braindead morons that want cartoon characters dancing around on waterscreens.

Yup, that's the ret-con I am expecting. :)

FigmentJedi

I think you missed the sarcasm...

Yup, that's the ret-con I am expecting. :)
I'm being sincere. Most of the outright Rivers of Light haters just want it to be the exact same thing as World of Color or a Castle Projection Show because god forbid Animal Kingdom try to do something original that fits the park's themes and tone.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We're discussing the intricacies of biased/tainted survey/poll methods for Rivers of Light when the nation's best media couldn't construct and conduct an unbiased/untainted survey/poll if the future of the country depended on it.

Oh wait...

Our nations best media had a desired outcome and the surveys were designed to support the preferred outcome rather than be neutral tools designed to create a valid dataset. Something Disney is frequently guilty of in their surveys.

The Empress Lilly

I'm being sincere. Most of the outright Rivers of Light haters just want it to be the exact same thing as World of Color or a Castle Projection Show because god forbid Animal Kingdom try to do something original that fits the park's themes and tone.
I thought RoL was neat! It has it's flaws. The sound volume is so low I feel like I'm missing half the show. Good vantage points feel rather limited. The water screens are quite weak. The story is unclear.

Sometimes I think they should just sail the barges around Discovery Island instead, like the Water Pageant.

But I too at least appreciate the thought and effort. Which, come to think of it, is pretty much my default in DAK.

RSoxNo1

It's possible to make a nighttime show without intellectual properties. Illuminations proves that. Rivers of Light and Jungle Book are/were bad shows. There's not enough substance there.

FigmentJedi

It's possible to make a nighttime show without intellectual properties. Illuminations proves that. Rivers of Light and Jungle Book are/were bad shows. There's not enough substance there.
There is substance and depth in Rivers of Light. The problem was they got too ambitious with the tech and overstretched the capabilities of their control systems and were forced to reshuffle the show's structure and scale things back to get something functional. Mix that with a symbolism-heavy story delivered primarily in visuals and pantomime and you got something that goes over the heads of the average "Battletank Stroller Pusher" guest.

AEfx

Really? "Lovable and intelligent"? That was rather...effusive, so you'll have to forgive me. I've never heard it described quite that way, by anyone.

In any case, have heart - should this happen, you will have swaths of those "haters" joining you and completely changing their tunes because...characters.

The Empress Lilly

Really? When I saw the show i thought the sound/acoustics of the stadium where awesome, i believe i've also read reviews stating that the sound quality in ROL is the best they've ever heard in a Disney night time show.
Really? (Borrowing your exclamation of surprise!)

I've seen RoL from...wait, not going to tell everybody about this awesome hidden viewing point. Sound there was almost non-existent. From the bridge too I could barely hear anything. And when I finally got organised and used a fastpass the sound was underwhelming again.

Maybe I'm getting deaf. :'(

Karakasa

Ehhhhhhhhh...
Don't get me wrong, I love the whole "character spectacular" stuff, but save that for the Magic Kingdom and HS. Animal Kingdom and Epcot shouldn't really do such a thing so willy nilly. Like, I don't feel like RoL should be replaced with such a show. It doesn't feel appropriate. If they have to, at least use, as suggested earlier, the "live action" (really photorealistic CG) versions. Throw Dinosaur in there too for good measure (that is, if Indy isn't stupidly replacing Dinoland entirely).

Rivers of Light should not (and most likely will not) be replaced until the other three parks have their nighttime shows cycled out with a real replacement (looking at you Happily Ever After). We could expect a (real) replacement next at RoE, then MK again. The sad thing is that DHS needs a fresh cycle more than any other park, but that seems least likely at the moment.
I mean, I agree Epcot should get a replacement first (that Earth barge is clearly out of date and dying) and Fantasmic could stand to have a lot of updating... but how isn't Happily Ever After a "real replacement"? It's an entirely different show from Wishes. And a, in my opinion, superior one. Maybe that's because I've only seen video of it and not in person though.

cspencer96

Really? (Borrowing your exclamation of surprise!)

I've seen RoL from...wait, not going to tell everybody about this awesome hidden viewing point. Sound there was almost non-existent. From the bridge too I could barely hear anything. And when I finally got organised and used a fastpass the sound was underwhelming again.

Maybe I'm getting deaf. :'(
To me the sound quality from within either RoL seating area is immaculate compared to any other Disney nighttime show I’ve seen. I was in awe. I also work professionally with entertainment lighting and sound systems, so take that for what you will. I can definitely see how viewing from an area outside the designated seating would yield less than ideal results (both with the sound and other effects), but seeing as it is very apparent that Disney intended for the show to be viewed from those two locations, I can accept that.

aladdin2007

Maybe they can finally have a better use for Pocahontas for it...Instead of the obscure use in Fantasmic..
9ad30a50da1a5c408fcb99a047fc7e5f.jpg

agree and there is a bonus track from its soundtrack that did not make it into the movie that would be great as part of RoL. Its either called First to Dance or In the Middle of the River,, I forget which one at the moment, but its on the Pocahontas Legacy cd.

Amidala

I haven't seen RoL, so I consider myself pretty neutral on this issue, but you can't deny that it's a polarizing show. I was there during cast previews, and heard wildly different reviews from those who went...some claimed it was the best nighttime show they'd ever seen and others said it was dull or underwhelming. Most of these people were DAK CMs. I don't think RoL has been (or ever will be) the hit TDO expected it to be, so an eventual replacement would make perfect sense–especially since the time it would take to develop a new show would give RoL another few (or even several) years to run. It isn't like this show is going to disappear overnight, and honestly I have trouble believing a replacement would be a priority for the 50th, but–I guess we'll see.

That being said...kind of exhausting to see everyone who dislikes a show referred to as idiots or accused of "not getting it," whatever that's supposed to mean. Not all of the complaints about RoL involved the lack of IP. A different opinion doesn't necessarily equal a completely non-valid and uninformed opinion...especially when it's an opinion shared by a large portion of WDW guests. And if guests are expecting more and more IP infusion, it's only because TDO has set (and continues to reenforce) the precedent that IP can be incorporated into basically everything...not because they're stupid. And crowd-pleasing shows aren't inherently drivel either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom