50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

WDWTank

If this thread devolved into another thirty page argument about trim brakes and Space mountain and BTMRR and accidents and that - again, I'm going to lose it on someone.

We all know Space Mountain needs a track re-do. Arguing about trim brakes isn't going to fix it. Can we PLEASE LET IT GO AND STAY ON TOPIC???
;)

Attachments

• IMG_1810.JPG
    IMG_1810.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 60

stretchsje

To the commenter who said Disney shouldn't have to wait for a big anniversary to plus attractions, which used to be the norm, I actually see this as the old norm returning. Avatar, Star Wars, an addition to the World Showcase, or any other land could each by their own count as 10 or more additions if one were counting opportunistically. Heck, Star Wars Land could probably be all 50 by itself. Disney doesn't need to plus anything to hit this marketing slogan target. Yet, the proposed improvements are widespread, diverse, and thoughtful. Surely they won't all come true, but that these are being discussed surely shows a change of heart compared to recent years. More to the point, none of the items listed are upcharges. And seeing as construction and closure limitations dictate that these improvements happen gradually over a number of years, I think it'll certainly feel like the old norm returning. Beyond the 50th is anyone's guess because we don't even know who will be running the company then let alone its direction or the state of the economy.

I absolutely loved what Disney did for Disneyland's 60th. The minor touches there were more than the sum of their parts. What a delight. Work there hasn't slowed down since then.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
To the commenter who said Disney shouldn't have to wait for a big anniversary to plus attractions, which used to be the norm, I actually see this as the old norm returning. Avatar, Star Wars, an addition to the World Showcase, or any other land could each by their own count as 10 or more additions if one were counting opportunistically. Heck, Star Wars Land could probably be all 50 by itself. Disney doesn't need to plus anything to hit this marketing slogan target. Yet, the proposed improvements are widespread, diverse, and thoughtful. Surely they won't all come true, but that these are being discussed surely shows a change of heart compared to recent years. More to the point, none of the items listed are upcharges. And seeing as construction and closure limitations dictate that these improvements happen gradually over a number of years, I think it'll certainly feel like the old norm returning. Beyond the 50th is anyone's guess because we don't even know who will be running the company then let alone its direction or the state of the economy.

I absolutely loved what Disney did for Disneyland's 60th. The minor touches there were more than the sum of their parts. What a delight. Work there hasn't slowed down since then.
Right. Disney is going to do what they're going to do regardless. Bundling it up for the 50th is just a marketing gimmick. They're not doing these things BECAUSE of the 50th.

IWant2GoNow

@WDW1974 As always, thanks for sharing what you can. I enjoy reading your posts the most whether they depress me with the reality of the company in its current state or, as this has done, filled me with slight optimism for the near future.

I'm always holding out hope that the Yeti will be restored to its proper state (which it seems you don't think it will), but I couldn't help but notice on your OP you mentioned SSE which happens to be my favorite ride on property. I'm sure you probably don't know the specifics of what may or may not happen to it but do you know if it is something substantial (decent changes with new narration or animatronics?) or something less appealing (new touch screen video?)?

Thanks!

stretchsje

Right. Disney is going to do what they're going to do regardless. Bundling it up for the 50th is just a marketing gimmick. They're not doing these things BECAUSE of the 50th.
Exactly. I don't think the suits are looking at a cost-benefit analysis that says all these ideas would work for consumers in 2021 but not work in 2020 or 2022. The "50 for 50" sure feels like the marketing department packaging up what (I hope isn't too optimistic to say) is a much broader change of strategy in Orlando aimed at making people like me, and probably others here, a lot less jaded after the last 5+ years of stagnation (to put it nicely). Nostalgic-leaning marketing is all directed toward return visitors too. I'm quite happy they're targeting existing fans and customers who have largely felt ignored or priced out recently. Though, they may still be the latter.

*Q*

...but so could a new resort restaurant with the name of one from the 1970s.
This intrigues me. My immediate thought was Tangaroa Terrace, as my guess would be that would have the most marketing weight behind it and it's sitting there empty just waiting for a good refurb, but then I remembered that didn't open until like 1985. My hope would actually be that they'll refresh the Contemporary again, bring back some of that southwest flavor this time around (bring back the glass trees and get rid of that gaudy Fantasia shop!), and then maybe that would involve bringing the Pueblo Room or something back to the concourse. I also dream that they eventually move Chef Mickey's down into either the Cave on the first floor or even the convention space on the second floor (since the convention center is rumored to go away) so it's not annoying the hell out of everyone in the tower all day long.

ToTBellHop

This intrigues me. My immediate thought was Tangaroa Terrace, as my guess would be that would have the most marketing weight behind it and it's sitting there empty just waiting for a good refurb, but then I remembered that didn't open until like 1985. My hope would actually be that they'll refresh the Contemporary again, bring back some of that southwest flavor this time around (bring back the glass trees and get rid of that gaudy Fantasia shop!), and then maybe that would involve bringing the Pueblo Room or something back to the concourse. I also dream that they eventually move Chef Mickey's down into either the Cave on the first floor or even the convention space on the second floor (since the convention center is rumored to go away) so it's not annoying the hell out of everyone in the tower all day long.
Isn't Tangaroa right next to the Poly DVC, too?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's actually already started. You can probably point to last year as when they moved into this. One Disney is pretty much dead. And the 50th will be heavy on WDW history because nothing sells like Horizons tees, Adventurer's Club mugs and pins with pieces of Spectromagic floats in them. And with all the infrastructure work, WDW will be an ugly mess from now right on up to 2021 (indeed, likely, beyond it too!)

It almost sounds like they kept the dumpsters where the Spectro floats were disposed of, just so they could "harvest" pieces of the floats for future pin offerings and make (more) money off of the decision to keep the floats in "covered" outside storage rather than inside and away from the Florida elements. Almost.

I have a cautious level of optimism on this, but I'll wait and see what actually starts happening around this before getting too high or low on it. I'm hopeful that there will be thoughtful, meaningful additions to existing attractions instead of overdue TLC passed off as "enhancements". I'm hopeful that there will be new attraction capacity where it's needed the most (It's needed everywhere, really, but I digress for now). I'm hopeful that they will "do it right", whatever gets done, but the track record of the current management team doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they will.

Sadly, I don't see a Matt Ouimet-type at WDW to take the reigns and make sure the place is sparkling for its 50th anniversary. I'm afraid it will become pure marketing fluff, much like the "17 new MAGICAL!!! things to do at WDW in 2017!" marketing BS they put out earlier this year. Knowing Disney's PR department, it wouldn't be inconceivable to get something like, "50 MAGICAL!!! years" cupcakes as one of the things they count as an "enhancement". Or $150/day admission to MK. We all know things like SWL and TSL will be included in the list.

I will say this: It's possible to add to IASW without taking away from the classic ride experience. I remember being vehemently against the character additions they wanted to make to IASW at DL at the time they were announced. However, when I was able to experience the ride first-hand, I thought they were tasteful additions and not over-the-top or obnoxious at all. I still hate the addition of Stitch to anything, though.

maroonmol

I do hope there is plans to at least modify TTC from it's oddly early 90's colors and to at least make it more of a modern Turn of the Century look to it...I mean the colors remind me of the old logo used for Disney Home Video...
TTC%2005.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

I actually like the colours. Yes, they're very 90s and colourful but when I see them, and the signs around WDW, that's when I truly feel like I'm at Disney.

njDizFan

I'm still confused about how they can start to take away the resort categories. The amenities and room size differentiate the classes alone. Outside entrance compared to inside rooms, square footage, fine dining options, resort pools all are quite different from moderate to deluxe?

rushtest4echo

It almost sounds like they kept the dumpsters where the Spectro floats were disposed of, just so they could "harvest" pieces of the floats for future pin offerings and make (more) money off of the decision to keep the floats in "covered" outside storage rather than inside and away from the Florida elements. Almost.

It's almost as if they've done this for every removed attraction since pin trading began...

I really hope that the TTC gets some much needed love. Really depressed to see that the loading/unloading will probably be done out on asphalt for as long as it takes for them to redo everything around the ticket booths. I can already see the build up of cattle queuing fences and cheap tents for security like what they've done to Mickey & Friends over at Disneyland. Hopefully the mess will only last for a year or two. I sincerely hope it's not something that they just plan on moving around and keeping that way in order to provide more bagchecking space at the TTC in the long run.

ToTBellHop

I'm still confused about how they can start to take away the resort categories. The amenities and room size differentiate the classes alone. Outside entrance compared to inside rooms, square footage, fine dining options, resort pools all are quite different from moderate to deluxe?
In some cases. Room sizes at the mods are very similar to AKL and WL, however, so they could reasonably move up to that price range. Hell, once CBR has new buildings and the gondola, it could cost more than a standard room at AKL. The monorail resorts and Crescent Lake resorts will naturally cost the most, as they already do. Once Pop and AoA get the gondola, I'd expect their rates to increase significantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom