50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

gmajew

Premium Member
The amount of work underway or planned is tremendous, at a level WDW hasn't seen since the 1990s.

Disney fans have genuine reasons to be excited; WDW is getting much needed and long overdue TLC.

Yeah i truly believe you are right the board and more important the street want to see this investment into the parks because the return on investment was huge for the competitor.

HMF

this!!! absolutely asinine what they did there, but that's just my opinion....also nice to read that SE may be on the list, we all know why, and isn't Siemens sponsorship up this year?
Exciting, unless of course WDI has plans to ruin it even more.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, this really took off ... no one out enjoying the last weekend of winter 2017? Or watching Duke get upset in the NCAAs? Or how about 60 Minutes (very weak) report on companies, including Disney, firing IT workers and hiring foreigners (almost all from India) to replace them at half their salaries? Nah?

I have skimmed the next few pages and I am purposely being vague (want to keep my batting average high) not because this is rumor, because it is happening, but because what and how this will be marketed is still to be determined.

A new show scene in The Little Mermaid (an example) could be one thing, but so could a new resort restaurant with the name of one from the 1970s. The new 50th MK pyro show could be one, but so could Pandora as it appears in two months. Whatever Marvel thing in EPCOT could be one, but so too could the goldolas transporting you to the park. It could be a Star Wars themed resort hotel or it could be more deluxe or moderate inventory being turned into timeshare (BTW, Disney reps officially, by accident to be sure, confirmed to me DVC's future presence on part of the CBR site. Really! And, that is all I will say on that one.)

And I am hearing from multiple sources this and it is a bit different depending on who you are speaking with. So we are so far out, I think speculation can be fun, but also an effort in futility with Disney.

One thing to keep in mind is some of the 50 MAGICal Things will be big and some will be very small and weak. Just how this will go down should be fascinating to watch.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Before this thread hits 100+ pages....

How about some much needed love in repairing the Main Street station penny arcade machines. It's one of those unique things that make Disney unique, and by the 50th, need be refurbished...

How about bringing back the Penny Arcade to begin with? Or making Main Street USA at least akin to the 1990s version with real shops and attractions and not one giant World of Disney crap outlet from Town Square to the Hub.

BTW, nostalgia is going to play a big part of this. Count on it. It was the 50th Anniversary that truly revived DL (not that it was doing poorly at all) on Burbank's radar. And really that was a marketing event very high on nostalgia and short on substance. A great new pyro show and new parade were the big highlights along with the start of retro merchandise lines being big. They also made sure the park and major attractions were in top show condition. They are going to milk WDW's 50th in very much a similar fashion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Was kinda hoping after all they put Joe through that they would greenlit funding to finally fix the yeti.

I guess Joe can console himself with his millions.

I have a strong idea they are never going to fix the yeti and decided this many moons ago when things started falling on Guests. They don't want anything moving above Guests' heads and that includes a giant AA. Hope I am wrong.

HMF

BTW, nostalgia is going to play a big part of this. Count on it. It was the 50th Anniversary that truly revived DL (not that it was doing poorly at all) on Burbank's radar. And really that was a marketing event very high on nostalgia and short on substance. A great new pyro show and new parade were the big highlights along with the start of retro merchandise lines being big. They also made sure the park and major attractions were in top show condition. They are going to milk WDW's 50th in very much a similar fashion.
I see nothing wrong with nostalgia. (especially considering how crappy today is and the future is looking.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Curious about the hotels and timeshare business looking differently in 4 years

There have been many posts by myself and others already on the subject. The deluxe, moderate and value categories are disappearing. Disney will be using much more aggressive surge type pricing on select resorts (I wish that meant 65% discounts on resorts they aren't filling, but that won't happen.) based on location, proximity to a given park or parks and seasonal events. There will also be a building boom again with more hotel and timeshare units being added and/or converted.

The Bobs are practically wetting themselves over more FL timeshare AND a Star Wars themed resort (something I am, naturally, less than enthused about).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Little things here and there are nice, but what about the big things? Will there be lasting changes made to how the resort is operated in the run up to this anniversary like in Anaheim with their 50th?

It's actually already started. You can probably point to last year as when they moved into this. One Disney is pretty much dead. And the 50th will be heavy on WDW history because nothing sells like Horizons tees, Adventurer's Club mugs and pins with pieces of Spectromagic floats in them. And with all the infrastructure work, WDW will be an ugly mess from now right on up to 2021 (indeed, likely, beyond it too!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the update! Always love your posts!

No hope for love on Space Mountain? I miss riding it, but I pretty much refuse to in its current state. I will say that at least it's in the one park with plenty of other experiences, but it would certainly be nice.

I'm sure the 50th will be WDW's most solid time period in the last decade, probably longer, as a whole resort. Outside of the cost to visit, I'm looking forward to it!

I would be shocked if Space Mountain didn't receive something. But it could be simply a special overlay. ... While I would love to tell you that the attraction would be gutted and replaced by a modern version I think that ship sailed with Phil Holmes in the 2007-09 period. There was an opportunity. There were plans.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Can you please expound on the timeshare changes? More perks,( like free dining!), for us lowly DVC owners? Hopefully, not a "moderate" DVC resort.....

If there are no moderate resorts, then you don't have to worry about backlash when moderate rooms are replaced by DVC villas. To be fair, though, the one they are starting with at CBR should have all new buildings, and a totally new theme. It will not be part of CBR. It will take the place of part of that resort as well as vacant land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom