(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

Siren

Glow Tours? What's that's an interesting idea and concept.
They're paddleboats with neon lights for boating at night, also known as neon tours. I know they're in Palm Beach and Miami and basically every island locale. They are very fun and popular. And, this concept can easily lend itself to ROL. The water is too dark.

Another reminder of why being dead focused on little kids leads to terrible decisions: Kids being bored during test screenings almost lead to The Little Mermaid losing "Part of Your World". Howard Ashman fought Katzenberg hard in order to keep that number in the movie and it paid off.
I know but we don't want the show to be entirely cancelled with no suitable replacement in sight. Disney has no problem doing this, as we've already seen with the Main Street Electrical parade and Osborne Lights.

Unfortunately, IP's attract the masses. IP's gets things green lit quickly across the board, not just at Disney. Little girls and boys will clamor and nag their parents to see Moana and Maui. Kids would crack up over that crazy chicken. I can see a giant animatronic Shiny crab all blinged out and singing. Plus, the cute little pig. Then, they'll go home and buy all the merch.

I just don't know what Disney can do to make people happy these days. And, I can't believe that Rivers of Light does not appeal to kids, especially with all of the floating animals and flowers. Where else can they see something like that? It's all so pretty.

brb1006

Original Poster
They're paddleboats with neon lights for boating at night, also known as neon tours. I know they're in Palm Beach and Miami and basically every island locale. They are very fun and popular. And, this concept can easily lend itself to ROL. The water is too dark.

I know but we don't want the show to be entirely cancelled with no suitable replacement in sight. Disney has no problem doing this, as we've already seen with the Main Street Electrical parade and Osborne Lights.

Unfortunately, IP's attract the masses. IP's gets things green lit quickly across the board, not just at Disney. Little girls and boys will clamor and nag their parents to see Moana and Maui. Kids would crack up over that crazy chicken. I can see a giant animatronic Shiny crab all blinged out and singing. Plus, the cute little pig. Then, they'll go home and buy all the merch.

I just don't know what Disney can do to make people happy these days. And, I can't believe that Rivers of Light does not appeal to kids, especially with all of the floating animals and flowers. Where else can they see something like that? It's all so pretty.
Now a show with floats that light up on the bottom at a WDW night show would even make the water enjoyable to watch. Disney needs to think of this idea in the future and would be new.

cjkeating

As others have said I think replacing RoL should be the lowest priority out of the four parks nighttime spectaculars...

MK: Happily Ever After is likely to be a quick and cheap placeholder to cover the lack of a night parade, a new fireworks show and night parade should be part of the 50th celebrations
Epcot: Illuminations is a pinnacle of night time spectacular however needs updates to the 2nd act as a minimum
DHS: The fireworks shows are a passable distraction (even with the poor launch site) but Fantasmic is 15 years overdue an update

Magic Feather

Honestly, they can slap three five second clips of Dory, Nemo, and Simba during the We Are One montage, and kids will be flipping out. They wouldn't care less if it was a well crafted show with an elaborate story, or Simba walking across the screen. The problem there is that the main screens don't fully meet a solid 50% of the time, which is far from conducive to that type of show. Overall, one thing to remember is that RoL still has a good reaction, moreso from older, mature audiences.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pretty sure Disney is thrilled it's having full shows - not sure they really would have a full plan with a schedule and concept developed 4 weeks after opening. If they did, it would have been happening no matter the success of the show.

The show looks amazing from the videos however I'm not surprised by the over emphasis on the reception by the toddler demographic, I hope the rumor is incorrect.

If it's not then the younger generation of this family is indeed correct 'I don't wanna go to Disney it's for LITTLE KIDS'

the.dreamfinder

Honestly, they can slap three five second clips of Dory, Nemo, and Simba during the We Are One montage, and kids will be flipping out. They wouldn't care less if it was a well crafted show with an elaborate story, or Simba walking across the screen. The problem there is that the main screens don't fully meet a solid 50% of the time, which is far from conducive to that type of show. Overall, one thing to remember is that RoL still has a good reaction, moreso from older, mature audiences.
And many of those viewers will have dinner/drinks at Tiffins, Nomad Lounge and Tusker House which will make up for lost revenue opportunities on account of the lack of characters.

raven

Haven't seen Rivers of Life yet so can't give much advice about it (tried to see it, many times, but it was still closed).

But perhaps after Avatar opens it will get a better reception. Right now if you go to DAK you pretty much have to get there when it opens in the morning if you plan on doing several attractions. But since it still lacks enough things to do to fill an entire day, perhaps people are leaving early. Again, maybe this will change when Avatar opens.

As far as RoE goes, it's been the guests highest rated WDW nighttime show for 18 years now. Whatever they are planning as a replacement they need to be very careful.

raven

This X1000. It better have the same emotional impact as RoE has, at a minimum. That will be exceedingly difficult to achieve.
I think if people don't understand the theme behind the show (Millenium turning over) they still feel emotional while watching it for other reasons. Possibly because they are inside the show rather than just watching it while facing one direction?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom