News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay I did not see that. Just interesting that the article claims to have information stating the circulated maps are not quite correct:

"Update 3:04PM: Shortly after publishing, a source familiar with the matter reached out to confirm that a gondola system is indeed coming to Walt Disney World. However, some of the details previously published, including the map circulating, is not entirely accurate. We have updated this article and the map with the latest information from the anonymous tipster."
I'll stick with my ”other” map thanks ;)

Kamikaze

Okay I did not see that. Just interesting that the article claims to have information stating the circulated maps are not quite correct:

I don't think any of the maps are exactly correct. We know where the stations are going to be at certain locations, but not the towers. I would figure the towers will not run in exact straight lines like these maps show, but instead run in more of a zig-zag pattern to better position where the system runs so it doesn't have to go over unwanted areas. I don't see big turns, but slight corrections.

That said, I would bet the map at the beginning of this thread is the most accurate.

ev01

I don't think any of the maps are exactly correct. We know where the stations are going to be at certain locations, but not the towers. I would figure the towers will not run in exact straight lines like these maps show, but instead run in more of a zig-zag pattern to better position where the system runs so it doesn't have to go over unwanted areas. I don't see big turns, but slight corrections.

That said, I would bet the map at the beginning of this thread is the most accurate.

True, that would make the most sense.

Lift Blog

Detachable lifts running at appreciable speed can turn no more than a few degrees at towers.
https://liftblog.com/2015/08/12/turning-with-sheaves-instead-of-stations/

lazyboy97o

No.. I mean simulate traffic waiting for the gondolas based on their actual data. This isn't a simple 1 point to 1 point system. There are multiple entry and exit points. There are 3 true end points , a group of 3 end points that can transfer between each other, and 1 mid-station load/unload.

I would hope that they ran a simulation based on their data and other projected levels of attendance run into the gondola network to see if there are any bottlenecks, or what wait times could be at the various load points. It would also include sub-optimal load time testing to handle slower parties, etc.
It would just be a bunch of calculations to determine the design hour, which is less than the peak hour.

"Update 3:04PM: Shortly after publishing, a source familiar with the matter reached out to confirm that a gondola system is indeed coming to Walt Disney World. However, some of the details previously published, including the map circulating, is not entirely accurate. We have updated this article and the map with the latest information from the anonymous tipster."
Their source is wrong. I think an early concept had a route into the back of World Showcase, but that didn't last long.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They won't have buses as a backup system for the gondolas? I suppose, in the event there are gondola issues, they can divert some buses from other routes?

Of course. Thats the whole benefit of buses. They switch routes all the time.

At the moment, during a short downtime (weather) it'll be a case of "please wait."

There's two years yet. Hopefully they'll have second thoughts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom