News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does anyone have any info on the capacity of the individual gondolas? The capacity of a Disney bus is ~65, so would if it be safe to assume the new system would have a similar capacity?

According to this:
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/reversible-aerial-tramway/brochure/

They have options that will hold up to 230 people.
Smaller vehicles.... but dispatch them much much faster.

A bus that holds 60 but only leaves every twenty minutes is only 180 people an hour

A 6 person pod that leaves once every 30 seconds is 720 people an hour

truecoat

Does anyone have any info on the capacity of the individual gondolas? The capacity of a Disney bus is ~65, so would if it be safe to assume the new system would have a similar capacity?

According to this:
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/reversible-aerial-tramway/brochure/

They have options that will hold up to 230 people.

We are looking at many 10 passenger gondolas. Some gondolas come every 15 seconds but if you double that, say every 30 seconds, your looking at a bus load of people every 3 minutes. Now these won't fill to capacity every time so even if it's every 10 minutes, it's a huge improvement over a bus.

ev01

Think more frequency and less per load. 10 - 15 people cars with 10 being the most likely

Smaller vehicles.... but dispatch them much much faster.

A bus that holds 60 but only leaves every twenty minutes is only 180 people an hour

A 6 person pod that leaves once every 30 seconds is 720 people an hour

We are looking at many 10 passenger gondolas. Some gondolas come every 15 seconds but if you double that, say every 30 seconds, your looking at a bus load of people every 3 minutes. Now these won't fill to capacity every time so even if it's every 10 minutes, it's a huge improvement over a bus.

Wow. If it's like anything you guys suggest, it will definitely be a massive improvement over waiting for a bus. I mean, that's almost no waiting at all to get to one of these two parks.

TimeTrip

Wow. If it's like anything you guys suggest, it will definitely be a massive improvement over waiting for a bus. I mean, that's almost no waiting at all to get to one of these two parks.
I would love to see the simulations that they must have been running to show wait times at peak times (opening and moreso closing)

ev01

I would love to see the simulations that they must have been running to show wait times at peak times (opening and moreso closing)

I agree.. and more importantly, how great will this be when you or your small kids are tired and you just want to get back to the hotel as quickly as possible. I could see people rearranging their plans so they are at these parks last in preparation of the melt down!

TimeTrip

I agree.. and more importantly, how great will this be when you or your small kids are tired and you just want to get back to the hotel as quickly as possible. I could see people rearranging their plans so they are at these parks last in preparation of the melt down!
I'm thinking it will still be better than busses.. the only "bothersome" point would be those who need to transfer at the end of the day thinking "we need to wait in line AGAIN?!?!" However, it shouldn't be that bad given the load factor and balancing between the resorts and parks.

ABQ

With regards to whether or not the option is better than buses really comes down to if Disney cuts back on bus service once the gondolas are operational. If not, then busses may be better as there will be fewer riders, if so, then both may not be desirable.

floridagirl57

I've missed some pages of this thread but if anyone is still concerned about air conditioning, I read somewhere (not sure where, can't find it now of course) that there are air conditioned gondolas but it requires a "charge" at the station. The system could conceivably be charged while passengers are loading and unloading.
Also, for capacity:

"It claims that Wire One could hold as many as 6,000 riders per hour—equal to 100 buses running per hour along the same route, says Ficklin. "
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/09/austin-gondola-proposal/501596/

Creathir

With regards to whether or not the option is better than buses really comes down to if Disney cuts back on bus service once the gondolas are operational. If not, then busses may be better as there will be fewer riders, if so, then both may not be desirable.
I would imagine bus service will be cut back.

Some contend removed completely, I have my doubts on that though.

Jon81uk

did the London Eye once (cabins have AC) and the air circulation was not adequate for an 80 degree day

The London Eye only had Air Conditioning added in 2009-2012 (one capsule was removed at a time for refurbishment) http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3894

It therefore had 10 years of no AC, it is expected it can last another 20 years now. I think the Orlando Eye used off-the-shelf gondola pods, so is quite different.

Kamikaze

Why do they need simulations? They have daily actual data.

A system like this that loads constantly is always going to be more efficient at peak times than a fixed system.

I would imagine bus service will be cut back.

Some contend removed completely, I have my doubts on that though.

Its only three resorts to two parks, though, so its not really that big of a deal even if its completely removed. You're talking 6 to 9 buses.

They will most likely still run the buses to DHS.

Last edited:

peter11435

Why do they need simulations? They have daily actual data.

A system like this that loads constantly is always going to be more efficient at peak times than a fixed system.

Its only three resorts to one park, though, so its not really that big of a deal even if its completely removed. You're talking 6 to 9 buses.

They will most likely still run the buses to DHS.

It's three resorts to two parks. Your 6-9 buses is low...

roj2323

I edited. What I meant is that the Epcot buses will be eliminated while the DHS (or new park name) buses remain. Especially with TSL and SWL coming.
Do the grand Floridian, Polynesian, and contemporary resorts have bus service to Magic Kingdom? .............I didn't think so

Tom P.

Do the grand Floridian, Polynesian, and contemporary resorts have bus service to Magic Kingdom? .............I didn't think so
The Contemporary is withing walking distance of Magic Kingdom. The Grand Floridian and the Polynesian do not have bus service, but they have two methods available to get to the park -- monorail and boat.

Art of Animation is not within walking distance of any park, nor is there boat or monorail service available. I find it hard to believe that Disney will completely eliminate bus service in favor of the gondolas. Reduce it significantly, yes. But not eliminate.

Last edited:

peter11435

The Contemporary is withing walking distance of Magic Kingdom. The Grand Floridian and the Polynesian do not have bus service, but they have two methods available to get to the park -- monorail and boat.

Art of Animation is not within walking distance of any park, nor is their boat or monorail service available. I find it hard to believe that Disney will completely eliminate bus service in favor of the gondolas. Reduce it significantly, yes. But not eliminate.
Plenty of resorts provide only one mode of transportation to certain destinations. The MK resorts provide monorail to Epcot (that you must transfer to) but there is no boat or bus and they are definitely not within walking distance. The crescent lake resorts provide boat but no bus to DHS and that is much further than most are willing to walk.

Don't expect for Disney to keep bus service to Epcot and DHS from those resorts. If a guest insists on not riding the gondolas but must use Disney transportation they can take a bus elsewhere and transfer. That's already Disney's answer to traveling to several destinations including the water parks.

Reducing instead of eliminating is not really feasible. Bus service is already generally 20-30 minutes between buses outside of peak periods. How much longer do want guests to have to wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom