News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

truecoat

These conv
Agreed. Zero chance they will not have A/C in Florida. They can't invest that kind of money to have everyone waiting around on buses instead because of the oppressive heat.

But then I thought those tents in Tomorrowland would have A/C. At least those were temporary structures without the capital investment.

Let's try this again. You have a constantly moving, well ventilated cabin 30-60 feet in the air where it will catch more of a breeze during its very short ride.

drizgirl

These conv

Let's try this again. You have a constantly moving, well ventilated cabin 30-60 feet in the air where it will catch more of a breeze during its very short ride.

It takes a lot more than open windows and movement in the Florida heat to make me comfortable.

If that's adequate, why do they air condition the buses? Just roll some windows down, right? Same with cars? I doubt 30 to 60 feet of elevation is enough to make that much of a difference.

The DLR monorail isn't air conditioned and actually gets taken offline when the temperature is too high.

peter11435

It takes a lot more than open windows and movement in the Florida heat to make me comfortable.

If that's adequate, why do they air condition the buses? Just roll some windows down, right? Same with cars? I doubt 30 to 60 feet of elevation is enough to make that much of a difference.

The DLR monorail isn't air conditioned and actually gets taken offline when the temperature is too high.
Prepare yourself to have to drive to Epcot and the studios if you ever stay at the resorts serviced by the gondola then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Aircon was considered. It was proven it isn't needed given the other mitigating measures.

Personally I'd prefer it too. But I'm not in charge.

I'd actually prefer a WEDWay but there you go.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Prepare yourself to have to drive to Epcot and the studios if you ever stay at the resorts serviced by the gondola then.

I appreciate the info. We don't have a car when we're there so would likely have to reconsider a lot of our traditional choices at WDW. We would likely choose our resort based on transportation options. Or just visit the MK. It's getting to where the other parks just aren't worth it to us anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Have you ever ridden the WDW Railroad at MK in the summer? It's only noticeably hot when the train stops at the stations or if it has an unplanned stop. When it's moving the slow breeze is enough to keep it comfortable.

You can't have open windows on a bus because guests are not to be trusted;). Too many little kids and stupid adults who might be tempted to throw things out the window. The speed is also an issue. The gentle breeze through an open car/bus window at low speeds is pleasant. Driving a car/bus at higher speeds with the windows open is unpleasant for most people because of the strong wind in your face (dogs seems to like it though;)) I don't think the gondolas will have open windows like a car. It will probably be more a ventilation system hopefully supplemented by a fan. A good effective AC system would be preferable, but if the technology isn't really there for it to work properly a poorly designed AC system could be less comfortable than one designed with ventilation and fans.

drizgirl

Have you ever ridden the WDW Railroad at MK in the summer? It's only noticeably hot when the train stops at the stations or if it has an unplanned stop. When it's moving the slow breeze is enough to keep it comfortable.

You can't have open windows on a bus because guests are not to be trusted;). Too many little kids and stupid adults who might be tempted to throw things out the window. The speed is also an issue. The gentle breeze through an open car/bus window at low speeds is pleasant. Driving a car/bus at higher speeds with the windows open is unpleasant for most people because of the strong wind in your face (dogs seems to like it though;)) I don't think the gondolas will have open windows like a car. It will probably be more a ventilation system hopefully supplemented by a fan. A good effective AC system would be preferable, but if the technology isn't really there for it to work properly a poorly designed AC system could be less comfortable than one designed with ventilation and fans.

I prefer not to ride the railroad in the heat of the day in the summer at WDW. Just as I would prefer not to ride something without A/C to travel to/from the parks (no matter how good the ventilation system is). I'm happy to be aware of this issue, because it absolutely will affect my decision making once it's up and running.

But I'm sure you guys won't miss me. More room for all of you, right?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I prefer not to ride the railroad in the heat of the day in the summer at WDW. Just as I would prefer not to ride something without A/C to travel to/from the parks (no matter how good the ventilation system is). I'm happy to be aware of this issue, because it absolutely will affect my decision making once it's up and running.

But I'm sure you guys won't miss me. More room for all of you, right?
I don't typically stay at those resorts and this probably wouldn't be enough of a draw to get me there but I'll have to at least try it out once it opens.

I'll wait to see how the final product comes out before deciding whether this is a good upgrade or not. It is definitely going to be more unique/scenic and faster than the busses and standing on a crowded bus is no fun at all. I can't see them investing heavily in a system that turns out to be uncomfortable and unpopular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom