News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

UpAllNight

I love watching his vids & he is a very optimistic guy in general...but a recent Tim Tracker vid where he highlighted what an awful experience The studios was a month or so back, really made it hit home.

This park has MAJOR capacity issues that will only get worse when Star Wars opens...I don't know what they're playing at replacing rides rather than expanding. The park wasn't a great experience Spring 2015...rides at 80 minutes by 9am...I dread to think how bad it'll get if they see a major attendance bump with Star Wars.

An issue for me and I've said it on here before, is that if shows are used to justify the lack of rides, they need replacing more often than every 20plus years, which is how long some of the shows in this park have been there. Shows, in general, don't have anywhere near the same rerideability/need to see again as a good ride.

clemmo

My understanding is they plan to close GMR within a year, so we won't have to wait much longer to see.

Of course, my understanding was also that we'd have parking garage work under way in summer 2016 lol

I've been surprised (well, not surprised, but it certainly isn't how I'd do it) and how disorganized and mercurial this DHS rebirth has been. One would think, given the budget approved, that it would have had a clear vision and game plan 18 months ago. At least Tower is safe.
So they'd close it before TSL opens? For some reason I get the feeling this is goong to get delayed a while. GMR amd the chinese theater are the centerpiece of this park and will likely remain that way so they really need to do something about its current state.

yensidtlaw1969

I don't think you're understanding me correctly. The ride as it currently stands is not a good ride. For me, that presents two different options. Upgrade the existing ride or replace it entirely. At this point, I'd be in favor of either one provided they are improvements over what is currently there.
The obvious (and correct) answer should be for them to hold themselves to their own standard and get the park's keystone ride back into fighting shape. There is absolutely no justifiable reason to get rid of The Great Movie Ride. Build Mickey somewhere else - the park has plenty of room, DESPERATELY needs the capacity -- and has an Animation themed land that is more at sea than ever. Dropping an anchor like Mickey in that part of the park would do wonders. And an updated GMR would only help.

RSoxNo1

The obvious (and correct) answer should be for them to hold themselves to their own standard and get the park's keystone ride back into fighting shape. There is absolutely no justifiable reason to get rid of The Great Movie Ride. Build Mickey somewhere else - the park has plenty of room, DESPERATELY needs the capacity -- and has an Animation themed land that is more at sea than ever. Dropping an anchor like Mickey in that part of the park would do wonders. And an updated GMR would only help.
I could definitely get behind a GMR update and Mickey built elsewhere. However, I think the number of source material possibilities that could go in that space is a short list. I could see Mickey going in there.

This has me thinking, and perhaps @marni1971 @WDW1974 or others could clarify this. I vaguely remember a very early concept for a Mickey themed attraction as part of Fantasyland, perhaps in the Storybook Circus area. Is the DHS ride in anyway connected to that?

Herbie

I could definitely get behind a GMR update and Mickey built elsewhere. However, I think the number of source material possibilities that could go in that space is a short list. I could see Mickey going in there.

This has me thinking, and perhaps @marni1971 @WDW1974 or others could clarify this. I vaguely remember a very early concept for a Mickey themed attraction as part of Fantasyland, perhaps in the Storybook Circus area. Is the DHS ride in anyway connected to that?

There was a Mickey's Mad House that was planned for the Dumbo's Circusland in the 70s. And a Mickey's Studio Tour in the '80s, before MGM I think.

Sketch105

I think the sound system is the biggest issues. That and the fact that they repeat movie clips at the finale montage.

You can have an older ride that focuses on "classic" films but at least envelop your audience with music, ambient noise and narration. Everything sounds muffled or filtered from mics to speakers. The gangster car shooting should be exciting but the sound is so low the guns barely register as real.

ToTBellHop

They should add a Indiana Jones ride to HWS, Something like DL has and maybe replace the GMR or put it somewhere where the Stunt spectacular is.
The park needs new things, not replacement of attractions that are still popular. Perhaps an update to the Indy Stunt Spectacular is in order, however.

Just please not a 22-year old ride from Disneyland. Surely WDW is worthy of its own rides.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom