News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

NobodyElse

(I posted earlier, but failed to actually include the image.) There seems to be concern about travelling over buildings.
Below image shows the gondola pathway at Heavenly in South Lake Tahoe. I've stayed at Forest Suites. The gondolas were a non-issue.

upload_2017-2-19_13-0-32.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is something similar to the Roosevelt Island Tramway in NYC what we could expect?
Here's a very very very very rough idea of what to expect, from Alton Towers theme park here in the U.K. It's a transit system to get around 3 places in the park. At 3:30 you'll see a mid course turn station where you can also alight and board.

This isn't meant to give an example of height of cable, length of runs, amount of gondolas, style of gondolas (though I believe it's pretty close) or choice of lightbulb in the station roof. The valley crossing isn't really happening either.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Here's very very very very rough idea of what to expect, from Alton Towers theme park here in the U.K. It's a transit system to get around 3 places in the park. At 3:30 you'll see a mid course turn station where you can also alight and board.

This isn't meant to give an example of height of cable, length of runs, style of gondolas (though I believe it's pretty close) or choice of lightbulb in the station roof. The valley crossing isn't really happening either.

That video makes everything clearer to me. Thanks!

Disney-Trains

Urban transport is going to be fixed point to fixed point. No track switches, etc. Can you imagine trying to explain a switching system to someone who has never been on it before? This system is going to be separate lines with transfers. Just drop the rest - there is no reason to discuss things that are not going to happen. (Same as 'they should do monorail instead')

Please don't tell me what I can or can't discuss on a "discussion" forum. The idea of switches is totally relevant and on topic.

I think switches and automation would allow further expansion and more of a "complete" system in the future. But it would obviously cost more.

It does sound like we are getting point to point systems with transfers.

Kamikaze

Please don't tell me what I can or can't discuss on a "discussion" forum. The idea of switches is totally relevant and on topic.

I think switches and automation would allow further expansion and more of a "complete" system in the future. But it would obviously cost more.

It does sound like we are getting point to point systems with transfers.

You're right, we should just discuss everything that's not going to happen! They are going to run a line from DHS direct to DCA! If you ride the gondola, you should get 100 FastPasses for Peter Pans Flight because that's a suspended track too! They should run a system where I say 'Computer: take me to (destination)' when I board and it takes me there, no matter if it's on the system or not!

Just because you and one other person have a fascination with some sort of insane track switching system which will confuse everyone doesn't make it plausible or feasible. Martin has now said multiple times it's going to include transfers and separate lines.

A discussion forum doesn't create an excuse of talking about things that aren't going to happen. If you want to create a 'What if' or 'What they should do' thread in the General Discussion forum, knock yourself out. But it isn't relevant to this thread because it won't be part of this system. In fact, bringing up those things can only cause confusion because people that skim the thread might read your posts and think that switching is planned.

Disney-Trains

I'm not arguing with Martin, I Beleive that he is correct when he says the current plan is all Point to point.

How on earth would switching be confusing? It would be fully automated and there would be seperate Q's for each destination. It seems less confusing than a transfer to me.

Maeryk

Except for issues with the gondolas running I can't see them continuing to run buses to CBR, Pop or AoA for EPCOT or DHS. Similar to how the monorail resorts don't run buses to MK or EPCOT and BC/YC doesn't have a bus to DHS. I'm pretty sure the gondolas will have to accommodate ECVs just like boats and the monorail.

Poly runs busses to Epcot, Can't speak for the other two, but we were waiting for it two weeks ago.

Especially for EMH openings when the monorails aren't running yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Poly runs busses to Epcot, Can't speak for the other two, but we were waiting for it two weeks ago.

Especially for EMH openings when the monorails aren't running yet.
My understanding is they only run buses to EPCOT when the monorail is not running. If the resort monorail is down they run a bus directly from the resorts. If the EPCOT monorail is down then you take the monorail to TTC and then get a bus to EPCOT from there.

donaldtoo

Here's a very very very very rough idea of what to expect, from Alton Towers theme park here in the U.K. It's a transit system to get around 3 places in the park. At 3:30 you'll see a mid course turn station where you can also alight and board.

This isn't meant to give an example of height of cable, length of runs, amount of gondolas, style of gondolas (though I believe it's pretty close) or choice of lightbulb in the station roof. The valley crossing isn't really happening either.

This actually makes a lot of sense, since the route the first post in this thread showed would be beyond rediculous money for a monorail extension (or any kind of raised reinforced concrete on-rail system, for that matter). Plus, relating it to the old Skyway, it would kinda' bring back something a bit nostalgic for us older WDW veterans, and something new and cool for the youngsters/ newbies. :)

Maeryk

People are stupid. Really, really, really stupid.

Yes, you do see people stumble off the monorail at Epcot and ask where the MK is. But that said, Disney does not seem to care, or be affected by the fact that some people are really stupid. They just send them back the other way, and move on. Disney has always been rather like that. Either you'll figure it out. or you won't.

raymusiccity

If you design a system that doesn't need transfers then people will be stupid and get on the wrong gondola. If you design a system that required transfers, people will be stupid and not understand how to do the transfers.

Not the end of the world as we know it! Just like when you get on the wrong bus, turn around and go back to the beginning, do not pass Go !

We should start a pool. When will Disney actually make an official announcement, or when will this be 'shovel ready'?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Nice video. It helps to see this in a theme park environment since most of the examples are ski mountains with very large and high towers. I think it makes it easy to see how this type of system can get very close to the ground when arriving at the stations. Some people mentioned they were concerned about seeing backstage at EPCOT on arrival but you can see it should get pretty low towards arrival.

One question I have is if there is any way to incorporate an Omni-mover style moving walkway at load/unload to make it easier for strollers/ECVs or even people just walking slow. Not sure if that would be considered too expensive or hard to maintain, but it would reduce the need to stop the system at load/unload.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom