A Spirited Valentine ...

SorcererMC

Hopefully, DLP will realize there are Disney fans in countries other than the UK, Spain and France (oh and our good friends in Russia too!) and start marketing to individual nations a bit more (yes, like Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands for starters).
This is a no-brainer and I can't believe they don't target them, with special promotions and such?!
For quick reference, the breakdown of their visitors: France 49%; UK 17%; Spain 9%; Belgium 6%; Netherlands 5%; Germany 3% ; Italy 2%; Everywhere else 9%.

Are you basically saying that DLP can't compete?
The price to visit DLP, which is currently a good value on APs, is so much more on a one day or two day basis than other operators. And parks like Germany's Europa, have far more attractions, offering more bang for the buck (yes, plenty are basic and unthemed).
Sorry if my question is redundant, but I'm curious what your perspective is on TWDC actually being able to turn it around, or if they will keep sinking $$$$ into it over the next several years and it will drag on P&R?

I also can't wait for your take on Shanghai Disneyland.

yesterday at the 8th annual Disney Social Media Moms
Celebration, we shared with some of our most influential social media contacts
8th annual....celebration.... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If I were Comcast, I'd wait to see how it goes for Disney. I'm sure the Party will insist on the same deal they have with Disney. And then there's that other little thing that can complicate the deal. One China! It's Good! :wink: :wink:
The Party is not the Borg. There are still local power bases. Universal Studios is being built in Beijing instead of Shanghai because Beijing wooed Universal with a better deal.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Party is not the Borg. There are still local power bases. Universal Studios is being built in Beijing instead of Shanghai because Beijing wooed Universal with a better deal.

The locals don't have as much autonomy as you think. The Central Committee still runs things and will have the final say.

Isn't the air quality in Beijing worse than Shanghai? I understand the government is taking steps to improve it, but it's still pretty bad, from reports I've read.

lazyboy97o

The locals don't have as much autonomy as you think. The Central Committee still runs things and will have the final say.
Legal autonomy is not synonymous with power bases within the party and the mess of how things occur. Even then, the deals are already in place and Universal went with Beijing because they felt it was a better deal than was offered by Shanghai. The Party did not tell Universal they could build in Beijing or pound sand.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@WDW1974, with regards to resort/parking fees at DVC resorts for DVC members. We will be exempt from fees at our home resorts. Do you think Disney will do the same if we're not staying at our home resort? After all, we not paying annual dues at those resorts to cover the common areas. What about those renting points through third parties? Can/will Disney distinguish between them and they actual owner? Or do they not care, a point is a point, no matter who uses it.

Don't even want to ask about cash reservations made through DVC.

ParentsOf4

And in an announcement that is certain to excite literally millions of our Guests worldwide, we now have a definite window for the opening of the upcoming Star Wars themed land here at Disney’s Hollywood Studios: It will be available for Guests to enjoy in 2019.
Quoting Disney CEO Bob Iger from the 1Q2017 earnings call:

Additionally, our progress continues on Star Wars lands at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World – both of which will open in calendar 2019.

Disney continues to spend at WDW and DLR, with domestic growth capex (i.e. domestic capex less depreciation) at $281M for the quarter.

If Disney keeps up this pace, Disney could spend over a billion in growth capex at its domestic theme parks for the year, the first time it will have done this.

Ever.

Last edited:

VJ

That film coming soon might be the new Pirates film, although to be fair running it during the Super Bowl with country music in the background should have gotten many people fired.
Honestly really excited for Pirates 5. Call me a pixie duster or whatever but it's my favorite series. :p

Also you're right about the choice of the Johnny Cash song... didn't like it then, don't like it now. Hoping it's not in the movie and I can just chalk it up to bad marketing (also, have you seen that new poster? Yuck..)

gonzoWDW

Welcome back Spirit. With regard to the ever climbing fees, my girlfriend and I both cancelled our APs. We're voting with our wallets to let them know the prices are becoming too much. Will not be returning until SWL opens.

Interesting excerpt from the Orlando sentinel article about the price hikes:

Overall, attendance declined 1 percent at Disney’s domestic theme parks in fiscal 2016. On Tuesday, the company reported the number of domestic visitors fell 5 percent year over year for the first fiscal quarter. The company blamed the decline on factors including Hurricane Matthew and a Christmas holiday shift. Seasonal pricing could also be encouraging visits during less busy times, executives said.

“However, the fact that Disney was still able to increase its theme-parks segment's revenue by 6 percent and operating profit by 13 percent is exactly why it's going to go through with this month's inevitable hike,” analyst Rick Munarriz wrote Friday on the Motley Fool financial website. “Disney is learning to make more with less, and it won't stop until revenue and earnings suggest otherwise.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...ld-ticket-prices-increase-20170210-story.html

matt9112

I will be interested to see what happens should they start charging parking and resort fees. My family carries APs and we always stay on site just to be immersed in the experience of it, but if the prices of the hotels go much higher I absolutely will not be staying in Disney resorts any longer.

try the two sister hotels at flamingo crossings...roughly 100 a night depending and so so close and NO traffic.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Quoting Disney CEO Bob Iger from the 1Q2017 earnings call:

Additionally, our progress continues on Star Wars lands at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World – both of which will open in calendar 2019.

Disney continues to spend at WDW and DLR, with domestic growth capex (i.e. domestic capex less depreciation) at $281M for the quarter.

If Disney keeps up this pace, Disney could spend over a billion in growth capex at its domestic theme parks for the year, the first time it will have done this.

Ever.
Almost balances out the near decade of neutral to negative capital expenditure, and only because USO put a gun to the mouse's head to do it.

DDLand

Almost balances out the near decade of neutral to negative capital expenditure, and only because USO put a gun to the mouse's head to do it.
Interestingly it ended up being Wall Street that did the gun holding. They wanted Star Wars Land and improved outlook on Parks and Resorts, and they're getting it.

I take immense pleasure knowing that Parks and Resorts is the growth leader now. Oh the irony...

ParentsOf4

This puts it in perspective:

Disney Theme Park Growth Capex.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom