AVATAR land construction progress

DrewmanS

Signage warns you of the hazards when riding Mission Space - they can do the same thing with this ride. Hopefully they leave it at its full potential. Did they ask the people if they had problem with motion sickness before entering the ride?
It would depend on the cause of the motion sickness. If it's because of the intensity, then they could provide a low intensity experience like Mission Space. However, a lot of motion sickness caused by simulators is because the motion and forces are out of sync with the visual cues.
Think about a roller coaster as it begins its first drop. You are accelerating so the force is pushing you back in your seat, but you are leaning forward and your field of view is shifting down. Any of these factors off by a little bit can cause motion sickness.

Many people can't read in a moving car for a similar reason. As you try to hold a book steady is moves counter to the
motion of the vehicle. If your eyes are focused on the book, the visual cue is out of sync with the movement of your body.

The issue can be magnified when the image is your full field of vision (like Sorin') as compared to a limited field (Star Tours). With the motion degrees of freedom the ride vehicle has the syncing can become extremely complex. It could require adjustment to the vehicle articulation as well as the shift of the image on the screen.

Slowjack

It would depend on the cause of the motion sickness. If it's because of the intensity, then they could provide a low intensity experience like Mission Space. However, a lot of motion sickness caused by simulators is because the motion and forces are out of sync with the visual cues.
Think about a roller coaster as it begins its first drop. You are accelerating so the force is pushing you back in your seat, but you are leaning forward and your field of view is shifting down. Any of these factors off by a little bit can cause motion sickness.

Many people can't read in a moving car for a similar reason. As you try to hold a book steady is moves counter to the
motion of the vehicle. If your eyes are focused on the book, the visual cue is out of sync with the movement of your body.

The issue can be magnified when the image is your full field of vision (like Sorin') as compared to a limited field (Star Tours). With the motion degrees of freedom the ride vehicle has the syncing can become extremely complex. It could require adjustment to the vehicle articulation as well as the shift of the image on the screen.
This is exactly right. It's one of the potential problems with VR, which is why, in a lot of VR games, you jump or warp to locations instead of walking, so you have a series of static viewpoints instead of a dynamic one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Didn't they have a lot of similar problems with Potter when it first opened? I thought they were able to alleviate some of the motion sickness by fine tuning the ride motion and/or video.

This must be a lot more motion than Soarin. I get motion sick pretty easy and never felt bad on Soarin at all. I think it's probably because the motion on Soarin is smooth as opposed to abrupt or violent. It makes for a less thrilling ride than a simulator that jerks you around a lot.

Goofyque'

I remember the first incarnation of the Aladdin carpet ride simulator in Innoventions. Only time in my life I have felt motion sickness. Whether it was the weight of the helmet, or the movement of the motorcycle style seating, I don't know. Don't have trouble with the one at DisneyQuest or Mission Space. Hope this is easily resolved, I REALLY want to ride my Banshee!!!!

radiorae

THIS.

Historically, I don't get motion sickness on rides. But when Busch Gardens Williamsburg introduced "Europe in the Air" (a flight simulator type ride... the whole platform is a single car that moves with the video, which is set on a giant imax-type screen) in 2010, it was painful to watch. It was obvious the video didn't sync with the motions. I didn't get sick like some others on it (thankfully), but it was definitely disorientating and uncomfortable. I haven't been back on that ride since. If Avatar is having problems with this, that's not good. Hopefully they can adjust it without too many problems.

Slowjack

I should add that another potential cause of motion sickness is the difference in focal points. This is why first-person games can cause motion sickness, because the field of view of the rendered scene doesn't match what it would be if the screen were an actual window the gamer were viewing the scene through, if that makes sense. So it can be a complex problem with multiple causes, which makes it difficult for individuals to have a good idea whether they are going to have trouble before they ride.

Disneyhead'71

Video and motion sync is a tricky thing, and far from an exact science. A variance between perception and sensation of a few frames can really effect people's equilibrium. It's not usually a hard thing to fix, it just takes some trial and error.
Equilibrium is overrated, and a false sense of secunity. One needs to learn to stay upright when the Pub parking lot feels like a cruise ship on a stormy day.

michmousefan

Signage warns you of the hazards when riding Mission Space - they can do the same thing with this ride. Hopefully they leave it at its full potential. Did they ask the people if they had problem with motion sickness before entering the ride?
Oh geez... last thing I want to see and hear are the approximately 259 "warnings and cautions" that one encounters at MS. Any ride that requires the availability of motion-sickness bags is a compromised attraction.

I'm hopeful that the sync can be adjusted and perfected so there isn't a whole bunch of "now, the Avatar experience isn't for everyone..." language as you make your way through the queue.

Alektronic

That particular piece of info came from a well connected friend from over at OU. And is also what I am hearing from a contractor friend working on the project.

I believe more wind in your face is going to be the answer for this particular problem.

I have several friends that work from WDI, Engineers, Maintenance, and Operations and they didn't hear about any issues with Motion Sickness, everyone enjoyed the ride and actually thought it was very smooth.

HauntedMansionFLA

More projection mapping testing on the floating mountains.

This is one of the many things that will make this park that much more better. We got to see the Tree of Life Come to life after nightfall and it was one of the coolest things we got to see. I interested to see what they have in store in this land. Random shows or will it be on going throughout the night time hours. Also, I hope they get all of the effects working on Kali Rapids.
I kind of wished they opened Avatar, ROL, nighttime safari, and all of the various evening offerings all at the same time.

Mike S

This is one of the many things that will make this park that much more better. We got to see the Tree of Life Come to life after nightfall and it was one of the coolest things we got to see. I interested to see what they have in store in this land. Random shows or will it be on going throughout the night time hours. Also, I hope they get all of the effects working on Kali Rapids.
I kind of wished they opened Avatar, ROL, nighttime safari, and all of the various evening offerings all at the same time.
More better? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom