Alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Bandini

Well, they always said they would never have booze in the Magic Kingdom, so seriously if they do anything it will be most likely adding alcoholic beverages to the sit down restaurants... Tony's, Cinderella's Royal Table, Skipper's Canteen, Liberty Tree Tavern a,d Be Our Guest... I would be shocked and surprised if it ever went any further... Though I love the idea of a few "Adults Only" lounges hidden about the park...
I wonder if the tents are the future hidden lounges! They weren't renting the tents fast enough, so now they are offering exclusive adult beverages, but only for the tent dwellers.

21stamps

Twice a trip, huh? And still you keep returning to Puke Gardens USA? Yeah that sounds totally realistic.

And yes, thank you so much for your offer to take a picture. I've been asking people on here for photographic evidence of these absurd claims for years now. I very much look forward to your upcoming photo essay of bush vomit. Perhaps we can sell it to a magazine and make you a lot of money. Happy holidays!
;)
I'm still wondering how it was known that each of these people was drunk.

Couldn't food poisoning, upset stomach combined with extreme heat, onset of sickness, etc etc also be a possibility?

Bandini

They had written it on the backs of their shirts in Sharpie, likely after going inside.

I saw plenty of other really distasteful shirts during F&W -- things like Dory swimming in a mug of beer with "Just keep drinking.. just keep drinking" or one with Mickey holding a mug of beer and his eyes going different directions with "Wasted at WDW" underneath.
I may be a prude, but I think these shirts are totally inappropriate. In a world loaded with intolerance for the smallest indiscretion,why is Disney looking the other way with stuff like this?

Bandini

I know it's easy to say you can deny service to someone who is drunk but that is easier said then done. Training or not, if you are a 20 something CM and a more than slightly intoxicated person requests another beverage, you can do the hard thing and tell them no. Which is bound to create a scene and a severe verbal drunken tirade. Or you can take the easy route and serve the guest and leave them for the next server to deny them. I don't think serving intoxicated people is a money grab just a easy way out for an already stressed out CM.

But I am in favor a TS restaurants in the MK serving. The Skipper Canteen is a no brainer.
I understand what you're saying about young CM's being intimidated and serving a drunk. But if this is the case, Disney needs to hire older CM's to serve alcohol and refuse to serve drunks. It's a huge liability for Disney to serve a drunk.

Astro Blaster

You can choose to pretend it didn't happen but I did see it with my own eyes. I see it happen at least twice a trip. Next time I'll take a picture just for you, would that help you believe?
I haven't seen anyone puking in the bushes but I saw a person passed out in the bushes about a year ago. I closed down Raglan Road with some friends one night and as we were walking out we heard a cough coming from about ten feet from the sidewalk. We looked closer and there was a girl face down in the bushes. If she didn't cough there's no way we would've seen her, it was around 2am. A Disney security guard was riding nearby on his bike so we called him over. No clue what happened in her night for her to end up there, but that's scary. Anyway, the security guard got help and took care of her, and we shambled to our resort bus while the techno-ish Marketplace Disney music remixes played in the background.

As an aside, that music is fantastic.

Communicore

I haven't seen anyone puking in the bushes but I saw a person passed out in the bushes about a year ago. I closed down Raglan Road with some friends one night and as we were walking out we heard a cough coming from about ten feet from the sidewalk. We looked closer and there was a girl face down in the bushes. If she didn't cough there's no way we would've seen her, it was around 2am. A Disney security guard was riding nearby on his bike so we called him over. No clue what happened in her night for her to end up there, but that's scary. Anyway, the security guard got help and took care of her, and we shambled to our resort bus while the techno-ish Marketplace Disney music remixes played in the background.

As an aside, that music is fantastic.
Too much Magner's.

Communicore

I've seen my fair share of inebriated folks at EPCOT (and even some that appeared to just be pretending in an effort to seem cool) but I doubt people puking in the bushes enough for you to notice twice each trip like clockwork is the norm.

Edit: That was from several pages ago, sorry to bring it up again.
Yea that's true, I see guests act more "drunk" after drinking a Red Bull instead of alcoholic drinks.

NearTheEars

They had written it on the backs of their shirts in Sharpie, likely after going inside.

I saw plenty of other really distasteful shirts during F&W -- things like Dory swimming in a mug of beer with "Just keep drinking.. just keep drinking" or one with Mickey holding a mug of beer and his eyes going different directions with "Wasted at WDW" underneath.

I'm OK with some of the Around the World themed shirts, but drunk diz characters are over the line, and shouldn't be allowed around the kids, which the are actively trying to attract to the showcase.

csmat99

I think people focusing on a few select individuals versus majority of adults coming to parks is just foolish. With all the millions that go through the turnstiles at WDW the amount of people actually causing an issue while drinking doesn't register a blip on the screen. But the amount of people at the parks when they are crowded that are rude, that jam your legs with a stroller, that are rude to CM's does register with me and many others. Every time I have been to Disney I have witnessed this behavior. This is the problem when you start charging more and more for things. People start to feel entitled to be obnoxious. The times that I have seen a person drunk that is actually causing an issue is once in the 35 years that I have been going to Disney parks. Have a seen drunks yes but majority of the time they are harmless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand what you're saying about young CM's being intimidated and serving a drunk. But if this is the case, Disney needs to hire older CM's to serve alcohol and refuse to serve drunks. It's a huge liability for Disney to serve a drunk.

The intimidation is CMs fearing action from their employer.. not the guests directly. The guest raises a fuss.. CM gets in trouble even when the guest is in the wrong. Happens way too often.

Luxe

Twice a trip, huh? And still you keep returning to Puke Gardens USA? Yeah that sounds totally realistic.

And yes, thank you so much for your offer to take a picture. I've been asking people on here for photographic evidence of these absurd claims for years now. I very much look forward to your upcoming photo essay of bush vomit. Perhaps we can sell it to a magazine and make you a lot of money. Happy holidays!
;)
Yes, at least twice a trip. I know... I'm lucky. Three so far this trip, although once was a girl who was obviously just sick at MK. Felt bad for her, no one deserves to be sick on vacation.

It's much easier to stomach with a Uni cleanse every few days.

Rodan75

The intimidation is CMs fearing action from their employer.. not the guests directly. The guest raises a fuss.. CM gets in trouble even when the guest is in the wrong. Happens way too often.

1. Disney has solved this problem on the cruise line. They are quite strict about over-serving. The law is on the CMs side when it comes to over-serving.

2. Many bartenders are young and have to walk this line everyday. This is nothing new and unusual.

Goofyernmost

I'm still wondering how it was known that each of these people was drunk.

Couldn't food poisoning, upset stomach combined with extreme heat, onset of sickness, etc etc also be a possibility?
Food poisoning is a little bit of a stretch, but, people with motion sickness can easily become ill from a ride. Food Poisoning is an overused, incorrect term. Food Poisoning is a very rare event and can only be verified if groups of people get ill from eating the same thing at the same place. Otherwise, they are just stomach problems or flu. I have eaten all kinds of stuff for the past 68 years and have had Food Poison just once and that was at my grandfathers house, four of us ate the stuff and we all got sick, yet if you listen to some of the people on the boards it is a weekly occurrence for them. The solution.. quit eating stuff that makes you sick or riding rides that make you sick.

flynnibus

Premium Member
1. Disney has solved this problem on the cruise line. They are quite strict about over-serving. The law is on the CMs side when it comes to over-serving.

2. Many bartenders are young and have to walk this line everyday. This is nothing new and unusual.

The law is on the side of the employee... doesn't save them in the way Disney responds.

Nubs70

She even warned us, "Careful, boys, they're strong!" and we all laughed -- how strong could a cocktail at WDW be, made by a little Singaporean grandma? But I think those cups were 90% sloe gin.

Please don't get into politics here.
It's not. More the outcome of a PC culture

Today's society does not let one ignore others. Everyone must be celebrated by everyone. When, in fact, one should be allowed to celebrate those whom one wants to celebrate and ignore those that you want to ignore.

Nubs70

Still trying to understand..

If the crass and bad behavior at Epcot is attributed to alcohol..
Then what's the excuse for all of the crass and bad behavior by the guests in MK?
There is crass behavior at both parks. At Epcot, crassness gets turned up to 11 (Spinal Tap Reference)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom