A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

NearTheEars

I mean, Moana was nominated in the two areas I expected. The exclusion of Dory seems to be speak volumes for sequel boredom (even though I loved that movie), so Pixar better take a good hard look at their upcoming projects.
Disney should be okay in the animation department. They have two entries (like Universal), so there's a 50/50 chance that they win something (My Life as a Zucchini is also nominated, but I don't see it winning).

I think they like awards, but $$$ drive the sequels.

doctornick

I think they like awards, but $$$ drive the sequels.

I'm sure Disney would rather win awards than not, but their entire strategy on movies they are developing basically ignores doing things that get awards while favoring making boatloads of cash. We can quibble about the artistic value of that approach, but I'm sure no one at Disney is complaining about the job that Alan Horn is doing since he's successfully delivering exactly what they are asking for

It would be nice if Disney could fill in the schedule with some smaller scale films and original/director driven projects, but that's just not what they are considering at this time.

BrerJon

I may be one of the few but I was not impressed with Pets. It certainly didn't hold up against the incredible work of WDAS this year.

Pets was overhyped. Everyone said it was going to be amazing, better than Zootopia, better than Moana... and then it was just another generic talking animal Madagascar type 'animals learn the meaning of friendship' thing that could have come out ten years ago. Very disappointing.

Californian Elitist

A lot of people would disagree with your last statement. Finding Dory was highest-grossing film of 2016, and the highest-grossing animated movie of all time.

The amount of money a movie makes doesn't reflect its quality. I'm pretty sure Fifty Shades of Grey made a boatload of cash, and the Twilight Series also made some serious money.

lazyboy97o

Did you see Croods 2 was cancelled?
I did, but it didn't surprise me as I figured his days were numbered once Universal took over. While I do think it was Disney's loss to boot Sanders, I have always had the suspicion that he may not take negative feedback well and does not play well with others either. It always seemed to me that Jeffery protected him just so that he was at Dreamworks instead of going back to Disney.

rushtest4echo

90 mil for the ride. Not the castle on top or anything else.

Thanks for the clarification, but saying that Forbidden Journey was less than Indy to attempt to explain some efficiencies in Universal's ride budgets over Disney's was definitely a terrible example in any case. Indy costing $90 million out the door, for the R&D, ride system, licencing, physical effects and the queue is equivalent to the cost of Forbidden Journey's ride system sans the physical sets, the queue, and the licencing. That and Indy being built in an era where steel, electronics and overall manufacturing costs were about half what they were when Potter was built. Looks like Universal got screwed or at least didn't do any better with Forbidden Journey's costs and I think you intended to show the opposite. Accounting for inflation, Indy out the door was cheaper than Forbidden Journey. The EMV ride system and Indy's queue were just was impressive and top tier when it opened as Forbidden Journey's equivalents. They're both at the top of the theme park world and they both broke the bank and set a new standard. There's really not much difference between the two especially in the costs, despite your inferences.

Still, I totally agree that Disney often overspends, under delivers, and takes their sweet time (though timing is nothing to Disney despite the crying around here)- its the norm for industry leaders though and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Finding Dory was highest-grossing film of 2016, and the highest-grossing animated movie of all time.
Neither of these statements are true.

- Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing film of 2016, so far... (could be overtaken by Rogue One based on initial reactions)
- Frozen is the highest-grossing animated film of all time.

Finding Dory had the highest grossing opening weekend for an animated film in North America.

Cletus

Thanks for the clarification, but saying that Forbidden Journey was less than Indy to attempt to explain some efficiencies in Universal's ride budgets over Disney's was definitely a terrible example in any case. Indy costing $90 million out the door, for the R&D, ride system, licencing, physical effects and the queue is equivalent to the cost of Forbidden Journey's ride system sans the physical sets, the queue, and the licencing. That and Indy being built in an era where steel, electronics and overall manufacturing costs were about half what they were when Potter was built. Looks like Universal got screwed or at least didn't do any better with Forbidden Journey's costs and I think you intended to show the opposite. Accounting for inflation, Indy out the door was cheaper than Forbidden Journey. The EMV ride system and Indy's queue were just was impressive and top tier when it opened as Forbidden Journey's equivalents. They're both at the top of the theme park world and they both broke the bank and set a new standard. There's really not much difference between the two especially in the costs, despite your inferences.

Still, I totally agree that Disney often overspends, under delivers, and takes their sweet time (though timing is nothing to Disney despite the crying around here)- its the norm for industry leaders though and I don't see it changing any time soon.
The words, Harry Potter, Universal and "screwed" don't belong in any discussion. No matter the order. ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

Indy costing $90 mil in 1995 is not the same as FJ costing $90 mil in 2010, if for no other reason than Indy would have cost $200 mil+ under current WDI standards. There's no getting around that Universal Creative, in this decade, is getting more bang for their buck than WDI, who are incapable of delivering anything at or under budget.

Absimilliard

Indy costing $90 mil in 1995 is not the same as FJ costing $90 mil in 2010, if for no other reason than Indy would have cost $200 mil+ under current WDI standards. There's no getting around that Universal Creative, in this decade, is getting more bang for their buck than WDI, who are incapable of delivering anything at or under budget.

Judging by Radiator Spring Racers where they used a next gen Test Track/Journey ride system and conveniently had the ride inside take place at night so they would not have to build expansive desert set, Indy today would have cost more than Radiator Spring Racer. That was what? 300 millions? Add a whole new ride system, the most expensive ride cars in the world, huge sets, pyro effects and what not... The sky is the limit and 300 millions will seem like pennies. When I spoke Tony Baxter, his words were something like "contrary to rumors, Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland came in on budget and on time at 85 millions".

Intamin, who copied the Disney EMV for two rides in Asia told me the reason why they only sold two: each of their EMV, which are not as smooth and well programmed as the original ones cost over a million dollars a piece. Can you imagine how much WDI would charge today for each EMV ride vehicle?

The best example I know of WDI waste: Toy Story Playland at Walt Disney Studios Paris. A custom Caterpillar spinning ride, a modified Half Pipe Coaster and a Junior Parachute tower from Intamin, add some cheap looking theming: 80 million euros. Six Flags would be ed off to pay 10 millions for the 3 rides at most and their theming efforts would be the same as what WDI came up with in that budget.

Edit: one last example: Ratatouille at WDS cost 150 million euros for the whole complex, including the ride, restaurant, a shop and a much needed addition to the park: high capacity restrooms.

GiveMeTheMusic

Judging by Radiator Spring Racers where they used a next gen Test Track/Journey ride system and conveniently had the ride inside take place at night so they would not have to build expansive desert set, Indy today would have cost more than Radiator Spring Racer. That was what? 300 millions? Add a whole new ride system, the most expensive ride cars in the world, huge sets, pyro effects and what not... The sky is the limit and 300 millions will seem like pennies. When I spoke Tony Baxter, his words were something like "contrary to rumors, Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland came in on budget and on time at 85 millions".

Intamin, who copied the Disney EMV for two rides in Asia told me the reason why they only sold two: each of their EMV, which are not as smooth and well programmed as the original ones cost over a million dollars a piece. Can you imagine how much WDI would charge today for each EMV ride vehicle?

The best example I know of WDI waste: Toy Story Playland at Walt Disney Studios Paris. A custom Caterpillar spinning ride, a modified Half Pipe Coaster and a Junior Parachute tower from Intamin, add some cheap looking theming: 80 million euros. Six Flags would be ****ed off to pay 10 millions for the 3 rides at most and their theming efforts would be the same as what WDI came up with in that budget.

Edit: one last example: Ratatouille at WDS cost 150 million euros for the whole complex, including the ride, restaurant, a shop and a much needed addition to the park: high capacity restrooms.

TSPL cost €80 million? Holy crap. That's criminal. I'd pull a Trump and be like look, we're paying you €5 million for this dumpster fire and you should be grateful.

peter11435

Neither of these statements are true.

- Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing film of 2016, so far... (could be overtaken by Rogue One based on initial reactions)
- Frozen is the highest-grossing animated film of all time.

Finding Dory had the highest grossing opening weekend for an animated film in North America.

I believe he was referring to domestically only.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The best example I know of WDI waste: Toy Story Playland at Walt Disney Studios Paris. A custom Caterpillar spinning ride, a modified Half Pipe Coaster and a Junior Parachute tower from Intamin, add some cheap looking theming: 80 million euros. Six Flags would be ****ed off to pay 10 millions for the 3 rides at most and their theming efforts would be the same as what WDI came up with in that budget.

TSPL cost €80 million? Holy crap. That's criminal. I'd pull a Trump and be like look, we're paying you €5 million for this dumpster fire and you should be grateful.

That's the figure I heard for TSPL in WDSP too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom