A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Quinnmac000

Kubo and the Two Strings was made by Laika and AFAIK has nothing to do with Universal. It was distributed by Focus Features.
I'm sure that Disney isn't the least bit worried about animation. For starters, they are almost certainly going to win both the Golden Globe and Oscar in the category (I'd guess Zootopia winning, but wouldn't be surprised to see Moana get either and Kubo is the only other film that has a shot). And all of their animated films have been making bank in recent years (The Good Dinosaur really being the only exception).

More telling than Dory not getting nominated for a Golden Globe is that Secret Life of Pets didn't. There's always a (justified) bias against sequels in these types of awards shows and Finding Dory wasn't really that remarkable.

From Universal Studios Hollywood,
maxresdefault.jpg

Focus is Universal's indie/arthouse division. They have invested in production for all of Laika's production only asking for production credit on Box Trolls and Paranorman they also had a meet and greet in the Universal parks.

Secondly, Universal main stream films are proving themselves. Pets may not be getting nominations but the "weaker" and "lamer" film Sing is proving to compete as its also got nominated for multiple awards outside the golden globes and hasn't even been officially released stateside.

Fox with Deadpool managed to do everything Disney has hope to do with Marvel and they did it but not following the super hero formula and playing it overly safe.

Quinnmac000

I don't see why it would matter to them. Deadpool was nominated in Best Comedy/Musical and none of Disney's Marvel films would be in that category -- while they certainly have abundant humor, they are are all action films and would be eligible under best drama. I don't think Disney is under any illusions of any of their superhero films ever being considered during award seasons for anything other than technical categories (if that) so it's hard to see them be disappointed about it.

That said, I think Disney would probably be quite happy with Deadpool getting recognition for multiple reasons. For starters, there's the generic "rising tide raises all boats" idea that any time comic book films get critical praise that it elevates the genre, which often is looked down upon. More importantly, the Deadpool film rights are more favorable to Disney than all the other rights -- they make a greater percentage of the box office, film related merchandise and such than they do for the likes of the X-Men and Fantastic Four (I know it seems odd, but Deadpool was licensed separately from the X-Men to Fox and has much more favorable terms for Disney/Marvel). That's partially why Marvel promoted the character of Deadpool much more at the time of that film than they do for other properties they have licensed out.

And, finally, they own Deadpool the character and make (non-film related) money via comic books and merchandise, etc.. Surely they'd be happy to see any press promoting an IP they own. It's not like this is a competitor's IP (i.e. a DC character).

If the Martian could be considered a comedy/musical, all marvel films can also fall under that category. And Fox had the rights before Disney or the cinematic universe was thought as they gained rights in 2005.

rushtest4echo

One of them may be massively above what it should cost. Or another could be very carefully budgeted.

Remember Forbidden Journey in Orlando was under $90 million. Avland shot through its 700 million with contingency ceiling and is now competing with SWL for total cost.

Except no...

Forbidden Journey's RIDE SYSTEM was $90 million. The entire attraction was north of double that.

How anyone, especially someone with your credibility, could be duped into thinking that Forbidden Journey cost less than Indiana Jones at Disneyland (being built nearly 15 years later) is astounding.

It's pretty easy to see where WWoHP's $250 million went. The stores and eatery are cute, as was Olivanders- but don't fool yourself into thinking that they account for 65% of that land's budget. Dragons and Unicorn were on-the-cheap- coming from first hand knowledge of the budgets involved (and in doing so, they destroyed the best non-Disney queue in existence at Dragons- couldn't upstage Forbidden Journey next door!).

I'm not debating the ridiculous cost of Frostom at $120 million or the bundles of cash that Disney is throwing at their new immersive areas (they're like NASA at this point, everything costs double and takes twice as long as needs be). But seriously, what fool told you that Forbidden Journey was $90 million and how drunk were you to believe them?

rushtest4echo

2020 cant get here soon enough.....

Ah yes, Universal makes it known that their immersive land in Japan will be done in 4 years despite being in development for over a year. 5 year timeline. Glad they're so much quicker than Disney. Hopefully by 2021 Orlando's will be done, and people will refer to the development/construction timeline as "fast".

Absimilliard

Except no...

Forbidden Journey's RIDE SYSTEM was $90 million. The entire attraction was north of double that.

How anyone, especially someone with your credibility, could be duped into thinking that Forbidden Journey cost less than Indiana Jones at Disneyland (being built nearly 15 years later) is astounding.

It's pretty easy to see where WWoHP's $250 million went. The stores and eatery are cute, as was Olivanders- but don't fool yourself into thinking that they account for 65% of that land's budget. Dragons and Unicorn were on-the-cheap- coming from first hand knowledge of the budgets involved (and in doing so, they destroyed the best non-Disney queue in existence at Dragons- couldn't upstage Forbidden Journey next door!).

I'm not debating the ridiculous cost of Frostom at $120 million or the bundles of cash that Disney is throwing at their new immersive areas (they're like NASA at this point, everything costs double and takes twice as long as needs be). But seriously, what fool told you that Forbidden Journey was $90 million and how drunk were you to believe them?

And where did you take this contrary to everyone else info rushtest4echo? Indy at Disneyland cost 85 millions back in 1995 and this came straight from Tony Baxter. So there, what else do you have for us?

Quinnmac000

Ah yes, Universal makes it known that their immersive land in Japan will be done in 4 years despite being in development for over a year. 5 year timeline. Glad they're so much quicker than Disney. Hopefully by 2021 Orlando's will be done, and people will refer to the development/construction timeline as "fast".

Didn't know 2019 was 4 yrs away...I'm pretty sure its around 3 years until the end of 2019.

csmat99

That is one of life's little mysteries.
Because the accountants i'm sure are taking money spent on Magic bands and hiding it away in budgets of the lands they are creating. Like the old story for head of CBS division who went on a trip to Dallas and bought a cowboy hat and expensed it. His report was rejected with a note that said we don't pay for clothing items so he made some changes and slammed his expense report down to accounting guy and said go ahead try and find where the hat cost is. :hilarious:

doctornick

And Fox had the rights before Disney or the cinematic universe was thought as they gained rights in 2005.

Not sure what this point is. Absolutely, Fox acquired the rights to Deadpool (and other Marvel properties) prior to Disney buying the company. But the deal for Deadpool is a different contract (and more favorable to Marvel) than the one for X-Men.

doctornick

Secondly, Universal main stream films are proving themselves. Pets may not be getting nominations but the "weaker" and "lamer" film Sing is proving to compete as its also got nominated for multiple awards outside the golden globes and hasn't even been officially released stateside.

Who is calling Sing "weaker" or "lamer"? It hasn't even been released yet so the public only knows stuff from the trailers and pre-release info. It's been considered for awards like any calendar year movie that was submitted to reviewers prior to the deadline. I'm not really sure what your point is here.

Sing might amaze and end up winning some awards, anything is possible. But I'm pretty skeptical that it would beat out Zootopia and Moana for best animated film just because of how well received they have been by pretty much everyone. To be fair, part of that is a real bias towards Disney and Pixar when it comes to animated films, so it does make it hard to overcome for other studios.

Fox with Deadpool managed to do everything Disney has hope to do with Marvel and they did it but not following the super hero formula and playing it overly safe.

I really have no idea what this means. Disney has no desire to release any R-rated non-family friendly superhero films. It's fantastic that Deadpool's rights are at Fox because they could make a film that fit the character. If Disney/Marvel owned the rights, at best he would be on a Netflix series, not a movie.

The Deadpool situation (unlike stuff like the Fantastic Four) is a win-win for everyone. Disney/Marvel gets to have an important character that they own get widespread coverage as part of a successful film, Fox makes money and has a new franchise to milk, and the creative team behind the movie got to bring something to the screen that was a long desired passion project.

Princess Leia

I mean CW's visual effects were great, but IMO was still nothing compared to Dr. Strange.
Whoops, should have included Strange in there with CW. The effects were some of the few things I thought were great about Doctor Strange. Will it win though? Maybe. Visual Effects could be a busy category this year, but I'm almost willing to bet that the award will go to Arrival or a more serious film.

Or Rogue One, who knows?!

Mike S

Focus Features is a wholly-owned division of Universal.

I may be one of the few but I was not impressed with Pets. It certainly didn't hold up against the incredible work of WDAS this year.
Pets was good when compared to other Illumination movies that aren't the first Despicable Me. Definitely didn't touch Disney.
Golden Globes typically don't give tech awards. Civil War will probably be nominated for Visual Effects (and lose to another film, maybe Arrival).
Arrival was chock-full of Sci-Fi goodness :inlove:
Orlando is rumored for 2020 and USF already has two rides offline. As much as I would've wanted KidZone bulldozed as soon as the announcement was made it wouldn't have made sense capacity wise unless we wanted another DHS on our hands. Demo will likely start around the time of Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay opening to somewhat offset the loss of park space. Then Fast & Furious will open in 2018 and will hopefully take in plenty of people.

CJR

Orlando is rumored for 2020 and USF already has two rides offline. As much as I would've wanted KidZone bulldozed as soon as the announcement was made it wouldn't have made sense capacity wise unless we wanted another DHS on our hands. Demo will likely start around the time of Jimmy Fallon and Volcano Bay opening to somewhat offset the loss of park space. Then Fast & Furious will open in 2018 and will hopefully take in plenty of people.

I agree completely. To add, I would rather Universal take their time and do Nintendo right. If they rushed it, we'd have probably ended up with a lot of rethemed Kid Zone stuff that wouldn't do Nintendo justice.

Mike S

I agree completely. To add, I would rather Universal take their time and do Nintendo right. If they rushed it, we'd have probably ended up with a lot of rethemed Kid Zone stuff that wouldn't do Nintendo justice.
Nintendo never would've signed that off anyway. I'll also add that Hollywood is doing a huge reshuffling of backlot soundstages to make room for park expansion which is why it's last to get Nintendo.

CJR

90 mil for the ride. Not the castle on top or anything else.

Which, to be fair, these are like two different attractions. Case and point, Forbidden Journey is closed right now, but you can still tour the castle. How many rides typically let you wonder the queue when the ride itself is closed? It's because this is so much more than just a queue. It really is a mesh of two attractions, so each deserves to be credited its own budget. And, in my opinion, the result was worth every penny.

truecoat

My biggest question is how are they expecting tourists of every size to ride this? Sure, they can do height and weight limits, but I'm 5'4" (actually 5'3 3/4", but I like to round up), and there's a bit of a height difference between me and my 6'1" tall coworker.

There are always limits but by placing the restraint on a slider like a lot of standing roller coaster rides, you can accommodate a large selection of the public. This pic shows various heights being able to ride.

standing coaster.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom