Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Ralphlaw

Interesting viewpoint. Would the original Epcot vision have bankrupted Disney? It would have been very expensive, and I'm not sure that the income side would have been sufficient to keep it going. It was supposed to test new technologies and ideas to make cities more habitable and efficient. But how do you justify tens (or even hundreds) of millions of dollars every couple years to install a new transit system, water plant, sewage plant, or electrical generation plant just to see if they'll work better?

Using a city to experiment with a few new things can make sense. Testing a better escalator, window, automatic doors, buses, or other small innovations make sense. That could be done anywhere. But huge infrastructure changes would very likely have been cost prohibitive. I suppose it would have been a popular place to live, and thus people like engineers would pay a premium to live there. But eventually wouldn't even the most forward-looking propeller head get tired of constant new construction and time-consuming upgrades? "Here's our new more durable cement that is cheaper and less polluting. Let's rip out the stuff we installed last year. And sorry about the jackhammers and detours for the second year in a row. We'll be done in a month or two."

Or, "We're switching our power supply again. Nuclear was great in the 60's and early 70's, and solar just isn't reliable enough, as we learned back in the 80s. Clean burning coal was still dirty in the 90's, but now we're going to try ________." Power plants cost hundreds of millions to build, and that is probably one of the top issues for tech innovation. Water plants and sewage plants are equally expensive, and economically it just makes no sense to frequently switch them out.

Plus, if you're NOT going to innovate with these large scale investments, what good is a so called experimental city? Your experiments would just be nibbling at the low cost edges of true innovation, and could be tested anywhere. Honestly, cities all over the world are already trying new things, just like tax credits and government requirements for recycling programs are forcing innovation literally around the world. If that's happening in thousands of cities already, why do we need one city in Florida dedicated to testing? One city can only do so much. Why not let entire countries experiment on a much larger scale?

And, more importantly today, why not let computer simulation take the place of the actual city? You want to improve the morning commute? Fine, input the Chicago road and rail system into a supercomputer and see what comes out. What could one small city in Florida teach snowy Chicago about managing a couple million morning commuters on roads and rails that date back over 100 years? And Chicago could also be one of several test cities for new buses, escalators, doors, and windows. You don't need a faux city in Florida to do that.

Yeah, I have to agree. The original Epcot idea was a pipe dream. By the way, is there any actual evidence that Roy was against it? I'd love to find out.

Monoblanco13

@marni1971 I know you have said this elsewhere but anything you could add to this? What do you think we can expect? Any chance we will actually get new attractions within the world showcase? Japan and Germany? Even if they are IP based which I believe it was mentioned before I guess something is better than nothing considering even you have confirmed EPCOT of yesteryear is dead. Thanks :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 I know you have said this elsewhere but anything you could add to this? What do you think we can expect? Any chance we will actually get new attractions within the world showcase? Japan and Germany? Even if they are IP based which I believe it was mentioned before I guess something is better than nothing considering even you have confirmed EPCOT of yesteryear is dead. Thanks :)
I can't say more yet, aside from again there's not much of the park that doesn't have plans to have work done. Again though there's no guarantee everything will happen.

Cesar R M

Given some of the lead times and completion targets I'd say by this next year there should be movement. Some changes will be minor and require a few months work if that, others multi year projects.

But again depending on what goes ahead.
multiyears? are we getting "themed" gazebos at epcot? :hilarious:

CrescentLake

Given some of the lead times and completion targets I'd say by this next year there should be movement. Some changes will be minor and require a few months work if that, others multi year projects.

But again depending on what goes ahead.

I totally agree that Epcot needs some love, but this sort of ambitious project scares me a lot. I am worried the current administration will butcher the park beyond repair. Is there some hope? Can I get excited about this?

Magenta Panther

I don't think we are bad mouthing him. If you read this book,
Roy spent much of his time with Walt just trying to control him so they don't overspend. He acted as a true finance guy should. It also focus' mostly on how much that didn't stop Walt once he had an idea in his head. Basically when Roy realized that when Walt was that persistent, he would have to figure out a way to make it happen. Sometimes Walt would even do things when Roy was out of town because he knew he would resist the execution of a good idea. With all due respect to all accountants, they mostly think in numbers only. It is a black and white picture mostly. If there isn't any money, there isn't a way to do it. But, Walt always found a way.

The other part of this was the fact that Walt had control of his own company. Today, you have to make the investors happy and that is done by cutting costs to make them more money. If Roy lived today, he would have had to do the same thing.

Walt's daughter, Diane Disney Miller, hated that bio, FWIW, especially because of its portrayal of her parents' relationship.

I recommend reading Bob Thomas'. He actually met and interviewed Walt several times. His version of Walt's life has never been disputed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I totally agree that Epcot needs some love, but this sort of ambitious project scares me a lot. I am worried the current administration will butcher the park beyond repair. Is there some hope? Can I get excited about this?
As I've said before, it'll be a new Epcot. Will it be better than today? Almost definitely. Will it be EPCOT Center? No.

HauntedMansionFLA

One area Disney could educate people is the epidemic of obesity that's running rapid throughout the world. We been here since Saturday night and it's eye opening. Healthcare cost will be high. But probably not going to be addressed because you have to be politicly correct.

montyz81

As I've said before, it'll be a new Epcot. Will it be better than today? Almost definitely. Will it be EPCOT Center? No.
Even if it is not EC, will it live up to the plaque at the front of the park? If not, then they should call it something different and remove that plaque.
For those of you that don't want to search "To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere."

Walt's daughter, Diane Disney Miller, hated that bio, FWIW, especially because of its portrayal of her parents' relationship.
I recommend reading Bob Thomas'. He actually met and interviewed Walt several times. His version of Walt's life has never been disputed.
Have you read both books? What are the biggest differences? Remember, Walt was a story teller. His stories were sometimes exaggerated. Neil Gabler interviewed more then just Walt. And from some of the other books I have read, Marty Sclar in particular, Walt was exactly as he was described in Neil Gabler's book. Even Michael Broggie's book described him in that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom