A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Disneyhead'71

And there, in a nutshell, is my ENTIRE issue with the ranking system. If it was an E then, it should be an E now, regardless of age. The goal posts should NOT be moved. It is still an immersive attraction.
That's an absurd argument. Compare a top of the line 1971 Mercedes Benz with a top of the line 2016 Mercedes Benz. Would you still consider the 1971 Benz comparable to a 2016 in terms of luxury? Does that mean it wasn't a luxury car in 1971?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That's an absurd argument. Compare a top of the line 1971 Mercedes Benz with a top of the line 2016 Mercedes Benz. Would you still consider the 1971 Benz comparable to a 2016 in terms of luxury? Does that mean it wasn't a luxury car in 1971?
Apples and Oranges. Actually, I'd rather have a 1967 Vette compared to the stuff they're pitching today. Again, so y'all are deciding what part of Walt that is important, and what part you just wish to ignore. No problem. We'll agree to disagree. :D

Daveeeeed

I didn't say it was an "E". Walt did. So we're just throwing in the trash what he called it now because you don't feel it is? So now we're cherry picking what we want to keep from Walt, and what we don't?
It originally was based on demand, not quality and scale. So it was a completely different system only things it has in common are the idea for classifications for attractions. You just contradicted yourself, and admitted you were wrong. Thank you for indirectly doing that.

You can still keep saying that to yourself, but truth is not relative. The the of the matter is in the system used TODAY Tiki room is not an E no matter how much you
Want to believe it is. Go ahead while you're at it call Jungle Cruise a C ticket.

lazyboy97o

It originally was based on demand, not quality and scale. So it was a completely different system only things it has in common are the idea for classifications for attractions. You just contradicted yourself, and admitted you were wrong. Thank you for indirectly doing that.
Quality and scale have always been factors. They are very influential on demand.

Daveeeeed

Quality and scale have always been factors. They are very influential on demand.
Of course, but he system was based on demand itself before, while obviously the better the attraction the more popular it would probably be, it has nothing to do with that today. In the system we use now it is not taken into consideration see Peter Pan for an example.
Today quality and scale only.
Back then, demand (but obviously is determined by variables like quality, capacity, scale, and theme),

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Enchanted Tiki Room opened outside of ticket system, costing more than an E Ticket. It also is still more than a C.

Yes the DL Tiki room is still somehwhere between a C and a D, WDW is a C but that's only because they hacked up so many of the show elements in that unfortunate refurb that the fire 'fixed'.

CDavid

And there, in a nutshell, is my ENTIRE issue with the ranking system. If it was an E then, it should be an E now, regardless of age. The goal posts should NOT be moved. It is still an immersive attraction.

So you're of the mind that it has to be a thrilling ride as well? So obviously you don't consider IASW an "E" either, though most people seem to still place it there. And the Tiki building is pretty grand in scale, don't you think?

I will agree the goalposts should not be moved. That said, the standards for what constitutes an "E" ticket level for new attractions have advanced over the decades; Technology and other innovations create far more (truly) immersive and epic-scale rides than could have been imagined thirty or more years ago. The Tiki Room was indeed an E-ticket, however, if you created a new "type" of the show today - using identical technology and presentation but centered around a different theme - it would not be an E-ticket in 2016 (could be impressive, though).

Not really. It's also about scale, not only quality. If want to compare Expedition Everest with the Tiki Room go ahead then.

Nobody is comparing the Tiki Room with Expedition Everest. The two attractions were created decades apart; You cannot make a direct comparison without considering the variable of time.

Apples and Oranges. Actually, I'd rather have a 1967 Vette compared to the stuff they're pitching today. Again, so y'all are deciding what part of Walt that is important, and what part you just wish to ignore. No problem. We'll agree to disagree. :D

The comparison is appropriate, though, in that you have expectations of a 2016 sports car that you don't have for a 1967 model (personal preferences aside). A newly built modern car with the horsepower and (lack of) standard features of a late 60's model would be laughed out of the mass marketplace; You didn't expect luxury features (navigation, comfortable seats, etc.) and maybe a 700-hp engine in cars back then, but you do today.

A car which was a fast sports coupe back then is still a fast sports coupe today, but it doesn't in any way equal modern cars nor should we expect it to meet such standards. Attractions work in a similar manner. The problem with ranking them (A-E tickets) is applying a 2016 standard to rank a decades old concept

Precious Snowflake is a term the Alt-Right loves to throw out there about liberals and the millennial generation.

Used within the context of some (many) Walt Disney World visitors, it is an apt description. Some people really seem to make it a hobby to go around and find things to be offended at, even when the term is more descriptive and not necessarily derogatory.
It originally was based on demand, not quality and scale..

Were attraction rankings based on demand (they aren't), a very simple ride like Dumbo would have been the epitome of an "E" ticket attraction (it's not).

Nickels5

I will agree the goalposts should not be moved. That said, the standards for what constitutes an "E" ticket level for new attractions have advanced over the decades; Technology and other innovations create far more (truly) immersive and epic-scale rides than could have been imagined thirty or more years ago. The Tiki Room was indeed an E-ticket, however, if you created a new "type" of the show today - using identical technology and presentation but centered around a different theme - it would not be an E-ticket in 2016 (could be impressive, though).

Nobody is comparing the Tiki Room with Expedition Everest. The two attractions were created decades apart; You cannot make a direct comparison without considering the variable of time.

The comparison is appropriate, though, in that you have expectations of a 2016 sports car that you don't have for a 1967 model (personal preferences aside). A newly built modern car with the horsepower and (lack of) standard features of a late 60's model would be laughed out of the mass marketplace; You didn't expect luxury features (navigation, comfortable seats, etc.) and maybe a 700-hp engine in cars back then, but you do today.

A car which was a fast sports coupe back then is still a fast sports coupe today, but it doesn't in any way equal modern cars nor should we expect it to meet such standards. Attractions work in a similar manner. The problem with ranking them (A-E tickets) is applying a 2016 standard to rank a decades old concept

Used within the context of some (many) Walt Disney World visitors, it is an apt description. Some people really seem to make it a hobby to go around and find things to be offended at, even when the term is more descriptive and not necessarily derogatory.

Were attraction rankings based on demand (they aren't), a very simple ride like Dumbo would have been the epitome of an "E" ticket attraction (it's not).
If you look at his post he was using it in the opposite way that you have described. He was saying those people do not care about quality or theming.

Daveeeeed

Okay then the Haunted Mansion instead of Expedition Everest. Tiki room again just had more demand at the time than it does today. That's all I am saying that paired with the system having completely different meanings from then and now.

I was responding to someone who thought The Tiki room should be an eticket because of the past system which is very silly since an eticket then has a different meaning than it does today.

GrammieBee

There were no computers, tablets, cell phones, I pads, digital anything or even televisions until I was a teenager or later, so I have seen a lot of changes and speak from experience.

Peoples' tastes and technology change over the years. What most people liked and what was cutting edge technology thirty or forty years ago has no comparison to what it is today or will be forty years from now. Or even five or ten years from now. Many still like what was once cutting edge and consider it to be a classic, while others have no use for the old and want only the new..

Maybe my family is odd, but it never mattered how an attraction or ride was "rated", except that, originally, an "E" ticket cost more than a "C" ticket. Regardless of its rating, if we liked it, we liked it, and if we didn't care for it (for whatever reason), we didn't care for it.

We have our own three step rating scale for rides and attractions no matter how new or old or classic they may be.. 1. We really like that attraction or ride and it is a multiple "must do" on each trip. 2. We like that ride or attraction and will try to do it at least once each trip. And, finally, 3. The ride or attraction is not one of our favorites and we may, or may not do it during our trip. It is no biggie if we miss it entirely.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We have our own three step rating scale for rides and attractions no matter how new or old or classic they may be.. 1. We really like that attraction or ride and it is a multiple "must do" on each trip. 2. We like that ride or attraction and will try to do it at least once each trip. And, finally, 3. The ride or attraction is not one of our favorites and we may, or may not do it during our trip. It is no biggie if we miss it entirely.
I like your system. Pretty much how we do it as well. And we also include restaurants.

Daveeeeed

Why? And who says? Who gets to make the rules on this one? People on the interwebz?
Goodness that's just how it is. Originally it was meant as a system to pay for rides. Attractions that people wanted to ride more had higher prices, Tiki Room happened to be more popular back then. Today how it is generally used is to determine the overall scope &a scale and quality, it does not take demand into account like the original iteration. All they share is the name. And if you don't believe me Disney themselves use ticket classifications for attractions. SDMT is a d-dicket, Peter-Pan is a cticket, space mountain rain is an E-ticket, Haunted Mansion is an E ticket. Today in its definition Tiki room would not be an E. It would probably be a C-ticket, which doesn't make it bad it just shows it's scale for today. You cannot believe me all you want it doesn't matter, but I am not wrong on this.

Bottom line is TODAY the ticket rating system is completely different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom