A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Daveeeeed

There were no computers, tablets, cell phones, I pads, digital anything or even televisions until I was a teenager or later, so I have seen a lot of changes and speak from experience.

Peoples' tastes and technology change over the years. What most people liked and what was cutting edge technology thirty or forty years ago has no comparison to what it is today or will be forty years from now. Or even five or ten years from now. Many still like what was once cutting edge and consider it to be a classic, while others have no use for the old and want only the new..

Maybe my family is odd, but it never mattered how an attraction or ride was "rated", except that, originally, an "E" ticket cost more than a "C" ticket. Regardless of its rating, if we liked it, we liked it, and if we didn't care for it (for whatever reason), we didn't care for it.

We have our own three step rating scale for rides and attractions no matter how new or old or classic they may be.. 1. We really like that attraction or ride and it is a multiple "must do" on each trip. 2. We like that ride or attraction and will try to do it at least once each trip. And, finally, 3. The ride or attraction is not one of our favorites and we may, or may not do it during our trip. It is no biggie if we miss it entirely.
That's not what the ticket scale is used for today though. (Let me think of something very specific so people don't try to spin my words): Winnie Thr Pooh is a C-Ticket and so is Peter Pan in terms of quality and scale, I greatly prefer Peter Pan, that is my personal opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that the scale and quality of the ride is in the same category. I slightly prefer Snow White's Scary Adventures over SDMT, but SDMT is a D-Ticket, while Snow White's Scary Adventures was a C-Ticket. Personal opinion of a ride does not change the ticket rating today. You may hate tower of terror because you don't like heights, but you cannot say it is a B-Ticket, as it is an E-Ticket due to it's quality and scale. And that's fine, but personal opinion of a ride is still serperate from the ticket rating.

Which in common terms most people on here that are familiar with the ticket rating of today would know what I am talking about.

asianway

The stuff Spirit fanboi jokes are made of...

Wait...so was that the reason for that inane travesty?

My, the Poly has been ruined. The view blocked by those hideous bungalows, a vintage Tiki interior ripped out for something you can see everywhere, expansions build up all the way to the TTC, the white sandy beaches permanently closed off, a prison-fenced Coco Key Resort swimming pool. What a shame.
Completely accurate. That was some VPs vision. Same guy that pushed rapid fill(TM)

csmat99

Yet if TDO had ALLOWED WDI to build the ride shown in the early pitch (I think Martin has a copy of the 3D Ride Thru video) Little Mermaid would have been an E-ticket for the ages and the attraction the movie deserved.
I saw the ride through. I really felt Little Mermaid should of been a water ride with boat like pirates and if they used some of the tech like in China would of been an E+ ride. The whole theme of Little mermaid is under the sea and I never felt that. And it's way to rushed and short of a ride when telling the story.

the.dreamfinder

Tokyo Disneyland used ticket books up until the opening of DisneySea. Here is the letter class breakdown from one of those books from the park's opening...
IMG_0111.JPG

Via Vintage Disneyland Tickets
Higher Res Version http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3jV5FcVqp...ADZc/PGJdX3vqw0w/s1600-h/tdl+book+tickets.jpg
I can't find any ticket books from the mid/late nineties online, but I know they are out there.

Last edited:

Mike S

When there's no news...
cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Tokyo Disneyland used ticket books up until the opening of DisneySea. Here is the letter class breakdown from one of those books from the park's opening...
View attachment 175603
Via Vintage Disneyland Tickets

I can't find any ticket books from the mid/late nineties online, but I know they are out there.
A little hard to make out.

Last edited:

wdwgreek

When did I say thrilling? I said Scale. You're seriously joking when you say the tiki room is an e. Based on what an eticket is defined by today it is not at all. Tiki room is what a B or C? Haunted Mansion is an E, Pirates is an E, Splash is an e (which is really not a thrill ride), Jungle Cruise is an E, Kilimanjaro Safaris is an E, Spaceship Earth is an E, may I go on???? It just so happens that there are more eticket thrill like like Dinasaur and Tower of Terror. It has nothing to do with thrill, again scale and quality. IASW technically an e, but it doesn't have the immersion of the likes of pirates. So please tell me how a room with a few birds meets up to an epic ride through a mansion? I like the tiki room, but there's not way you can compare it to those rides on terms of scale and quality, thus the eticket rating. You can enjoy it just as much if not more: for instance I love Peter Pan, but it is still a C-ticket. I'm not a huge fan of Soarin', but it is still an eticket.

I meant to do this yesterday but here goes:

[Epcot

Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
Animal Kingdom[edit]

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I meant to do this yesterday but here goes:

[Epcot

Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
Animal Kingdom[edit]

Based purely in "quality" and all that stuff, I mostly agree with you.
But I think this also demonstrates why demand or popularity has to be factored in. A lot of your e tickets rarely if ever have anyone in line while son of your c and d tickets are constantly packed. And does anyone think sitting and watching a tourism ad for France (an enjoyable, well presented one admittedly) deserve to be the same ticket level as the newest, most popular ride with the newest, most high tech AAs? And how come Frozen is a D when Hall of Presidents and Country Bears are Es? All those two shows have are impressive animatronics, Frozen has the most impressive animatronics at the parks right now plus a boat ride. I'm not saying Frozen deserves to be an E ticket, I just don't see the justification of it being a D in relation to the others in your list.

Over all, the list seems largely based on personal bias. Which is the problem with this whole discussion. Tickets don't really have an official set of rules, at least not anymore. The denominations are a "I know it when I see it" type thing.
I've thought of it like this:
E ticket means aajor attraction that will be a staple of the park (Soarin, Pirates, Tower of Terror, Everest).
C ticket means a flat ride, movie, show, or other similar "cheap" or "small" attraction (teacups, tiki room, muppets, tough to be a bug).
D tickets fit somewhere in between (mission space, star tours, buzz lightyear)

These are just my personal guidelines though, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

wdwgreek

Based purely in "quality" and all that stuff, I mostly agree with you.
But I think this also demonstrates why demand or popularity has to be factored in. A lot of your e tickets rarely if ever have anyone in line while son of your c and d tickets are constantly packed. And does anyone think sitting and watching a tourism ad for France (an enjoyable, well presented one admittedly) deserve to be the same ticket level as the newest, most popular ride with the newest, most high tech AAs? And how come Frozen is a D when Hall of Presidents and Country Bears are Es? All those two shows have are impressive animatronics, Frozen has the most impressive animatronics at the parks right now plus a boat ride. I'm not saying Frozen deserves to be an E ticket, I just don't see the justification of it being a D in relation to the others in your list.

Over all, the list seems largely based on personal bias. Which is the problem with this whole discussion. Tickets don't really have an official set of rules, at least not anymore. The denominations are a "I know it when I see it" type thing.
I've thought of it like this:
E ticket means aajor attraction that will be a staple of the park (Soarin, Pirates, Tower of Terror, Everest).
C ticket means a flat ride, movie, show, or other similar "cheap" or "small" attraction (teacups, tiki room, muppets, tough to be a bug).
D tickets fit somewhere in between (mission space, star tours, buzz lightyear)

These are just my personal guidelines though, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

So ergo my point its all so subjective without a unified code. I'd be willing concede Country Bear and Tiki may not be E's but are def D's they are immersive, ambitious technologically amazing(Country moreso then tiki), and if Winnie the Pooh is a C Tiki blows it out of the water. For Hallof Presidents its an E because of the ambition and message. The Tableau of 44 presidents is an amazing site to see. Maybe its nostalgia! That's why it is so tough. I can totally see a few of my E tickets being demoted to D.

Frozen is a dark ride with nice AA's great AA's but not an E level quality attraction, the New Pandora Boat ride for example will be a boat ride with great AA's but no one will be putting that in the E level category.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I was going to say that an E Ticket is an attendance driver to the park. Then I remembered that you Disney fans will book a flight across the pond to make a Tweet about toilets. It really is hard to have a discussion about quality with folks so starved for content that ANYTHING is perceived as a gift from GOD!
I would like to think you're joking, but at the same time I'm pretty sure a sizeable majority of people on this site would rank the Tangled bathrooms as a higher ticket level than Frozen Ever After

Disneyhead'71

I would like to think you're joking, but at the same time I'm pretty sure a sizeable majority of people on this site would rank the Tangled bathrooms as a higher ticket level than Frozen Ever After
I am positive the majority o the folks here would rate the Tangled Toilets higher than Kong.

You know, "SCREENZ!!!! OMG! MY EYES!!!!!!!!" (vomiting)

SplashJacket

I am positive the majority o the folks here would rate the Tangled Toilets higher than Kong.

You know, "SCREENZ!!!! OMG! MY EYES!!!!!!!!" (vomiting)
Totaly agree, the Tangled toilets are super immersive and makes you feel like your there. As for Kong I cannot say the same. The movie is more immersive than the ride. Everything in Kong is dull except the huge ending animatronic but its not used it feels as if it were a last second thought because they realized how bad it was.

maroonmol

Totaly agree, the Tangled toilets are super immersive and makes you feel like your there. As for Kong I cannot say the same. The movie is more immersive than the ride. Everything in Kong is dull except the huge ending animatronic but its not used it feels as if it were a last second thought because they realized how bad it was.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom