A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

71jason

So back on topic ...

WDW debuted a new street show this weekend. Curiously, the company that held a press conference for new benches didn't make any sort of announcement. Nothing on the Disney Parks Blog or (official) Twitter, nothing even written on maps.

Curiouser, despite being an IP-driven one-man show, the character's name and source doesn't appear on any signage.

And most interesting and relevant to this thread--while many (including I assume @WDW1974) seem to think this character's status is clear, the Distinguished Competition clearly thinks otherwise. If they are right--and their contract lawyers have beat the Mouse's in every dispute so far--WDW's legal right to use the Guardians is far from clear as well.

A more Machiavellian mind that mine might suggest this whole thing was a feint to address that very question before dumping any more $$ into R&D.

lazyboy97o

Yet every other country continues to support their area, and even update them occasionally. So even though the ride is open (and we loved it - hated Maelstrom) you are still bitter about the placement? People need to move on. It's done, it's not changing. Sorry.
The other pavilions, except Morocco, have private sponsors or no sponsors. And, bad design simply existing is not grounds for accepting or praising it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Absolutely. And management of the era will always be held responsible for their mistake. Like Horizons.
I guess I will just never understand the attitude that continues to complain about something that is a done deal. It's not changing, it's not going away, we don't like the placement, but everyone needs to move on. Sorry, but that's the deal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's not changing, it's not going away, we don't like the placement, but everyone needs to move on. Sorry, but that's the deal.
That is not the deal. Otherwise opinion would be stifled and mistakes forgotten.

Before you tell me just to "stay away" we plan on exactly that. We rode it. Didn't queue, didn't waste a fastpass. And have no need nor desire to ride it again. We'll go and enjoy Reflections of China again.

gmajew

Premium Member
That is not the deal. Otherwise opinion would be stifled and mistakes forgotten.

Before you tell me just to "stay away" we plan on exactly that. We rode it. Didn't queue, didn't waste a fastpass. And have no need nor desire to ride it again. We'll go and enjoy Reflections of China again.

My family enjoyed the ride actually thought the animatronics were amazing. Wrong location but for sure would ride the ride everyntrip to wdw.

Sure wish it was in a different spot but the ride on its own is a good ride. Location stinks

lazyboy97o

Oh, I'm not feigning ignorance at all. I just know that continuing to complain about something that is done is pointless.
Telling people to shut up, ignore something, avoid it and pretend it doesn't exist is telling people to feign ignorance. Understanding themed entertainment as a storytelling and design medium is not some vacuous exercise and entails knowing what does and does not work.

ProjectXBlog

I guess I will just never understand the attitude that continues to complain about something that is a done deal. It's not changing, it's not going away, we don't like the placement, but everyone needs to move on. Sorry, but that's the deal.
do you seriously believe this? because the 1999 JIYI would like to have a few words from the grave

Bairstow

And most interesting and relevant to this thread--while many (including I assume @WDW1974) seem to think this character's status is clear, the Distinguished Competition clearly thinks otherwise. If they are right--and their contract lawyers have beat the Mouse's in every dispute so far--WDW's legal right to use the Guardians is far from clear as well.

A more Machiavellian mind that mine might suggest this whole thing was a feint to address that very question before dumping any more $$ into R&D.

Maybe... but hasn't Disney already tested the legal waters by having the characters appear there years ago?

CDavid

No. Rather, we need to learn from prior mistakes, not only so they won't recur, but take practical and reasonable steps to address what has been lost (special order Horizons shirts isn't it, incidentally). Succinctly, the "learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it" argument. Disney's pattern doesn't seem to suggest it is learning anything: Pooh, Mission Space, Journey into Imagination, Frozen, and Stitch (among others).

Oh, I'm not feigning ignorance at all. I just know that continuing to complain about something that is done is pointless.

There is a difference between complaining and lamenting something, and the latter is hardly pointless. Regardless, this is a Walt Disney World message board; You would sort of expect people to discuss attractions both past and present.

Maybe... but hasn't Disney already tested the legal waters by having the characters appear there years ago?

If you are trying to set a precedent or something, seems like you would want firm grounds for doing so. Perhaps there were objections to the previous appearance?

SorcererMC

Frozen Ever After has the power of Disney's marketing team.

WDW debuted a new street show this weekend. Curiously, the company that held a press conference for new benches didn't make any sort of announcement. Nothing on the Disney Parks Blog or (official) Twitter, nothing even written on maps.

Curiouser, despite being an IP-driven one-man show, the character's name and source doesn't appear on any signage.

The irony of these posts.

SorcererMC

Disney was legally forbidden to use a lot of their marketing tricks with the Dr. Strange M&G.

It wasn't Disney showing restraint.
I'm aware. Just calling attention to the juxtaposition.

ETA: I'll elaborate. Marketing only works so well if the product behind it is of good quality. According to the 'Dr. Strange in DHS' thread, this M&G is not. It is debatable of course as to whether or not FEA is quality according to one's preferences (if the quality can overcome its poor placement). When they call conferences for things like benches, or advertise new SW that's not there yet, it hurts their marketing power and brand. If they are getting bad press about GotG in ToT, their marketing is going to have to work overtime to overcome that and I'm not sure they are up to the task IMO.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Yet every other country continues to support their area, and even update them occasionally. So even though the ride is open (and we loved it - hated Maelstrom) you are still bitter about the placement? People need to move on. It's done, it's not changing. Sorry.

That's not true at all. Morocco is the only pavilion with active participation from the host country's government. Yes, I am bitter about the placement. I'm terribly sorry that you have no concept of themed design or (apparently) what the purpose of World Showcase is. Belittling me isn't going to change the fact that Frozen doesn't belong there at all.

Brer Oswald

People seem to only dislike Frozen Ever After because it goes against the "original" concept of the park. Sorry, but it's not like it's sacrilegious or anything, it wasn't Walt's original plan anyway. What bothers me about FEA is that they didn't take the time to update the ride system. I know they wanted it out as quick as possible, but this will cost them in the years to come, especially since it's already causing problems. Say what you want about Maelstrom, but it was not a classic ride. Equivalent to the current Imagination which does have its own fans, but again, not a classic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom