News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Phroobar

If by surprises, you mean frustrates...haha then yeah. I have no clue what this *still* hypothetical third gate would include. It could be one giant IP land. It could be not. It COULD be the Dark Kingdom which I desperately want them to go back into making...
Definitely frustrating but I can't see it being IP land. I could see them building a high admission priced exclusive park with a limited number of guests with some big expensive experiences. Think West World, Future World or Jurassic Park movies.

britain

Call me a naive optimist, but it wouldn't surprise me if the board has looked at the company's history of 2nd / 3rd / 4th parks and it's pretty plain to see that the "studio" park concept – though the cheapest and most amenable to plenty of IPs in the short term – has proven to be a costly problem in the long term.

While DL's 3rd park will probably have plenty of IPs, it will most likely have some sort of conceptual hook, like AK or TDS has, which will provide a good foundation for future growth.

THEREFORE - a hyper themed Star Wars area (which I don't think warrants its own park, but definitely its own land) should not be placed in said conceptual-3rd-park.

I mean, sure you could make Star Wars fit in a park like TDS (like they made Indy fit) but it fits best in the original "spin the wheel, these lands don't have anything to do with one another besides the fact that Walt likes them" park, Disneyland. :)

Last edited:

GrizzlyAdams

3rd gate... I'm pretty sure they still need to buy some property that is part/next to the planned lot. Plus, they would need another large parking structure to support it. Where...Angel Stadium area? I think it's still years and years away..

Earl Sweatpants

Call me a naive optimist, but it wouldn't surprise me if the board has looked at the company's history of 2nd / 3rd / 4th parks and it's pretty plain to see that the "studio" park concept – though the cheapest and most amenable to plenty of IPs in the short term – has proven to be a costly problem in the long term.

While DL's 3rd park will probably have plenty of IPs, it will most likely have some sort of conceptual hook, like AK or TDS has, which will provide a good foundation for future growth.

THEREFORE - a hyper themed Star Wars area (which I don't think warrants its own park, but definitely its own land) should not be placed in said conceptual-3rd-park.

I mean, sure you could make Star Wars fit in a park like TDS (like they made Indy fit) but it fits best in the original "spin the wheel, these lands don't have anything to do with one another besides the fact that Walt likes them" park, Disneyland. :)
Call me a...well, I don't know what you want to call me. But here's where I'm coming from.
It seems like in the foreseeable future, Disney is going to continue going park-IP crazy. This means, anything new that is built, will have a direct tie to an IP. They went out and purchased three major companies, spending BILLIONS of dollars just to have access to their brands. Naturally, they should want to get the most out of these properties.

SW is a HUGE IP minefield that has spanned decades. And all they felt like doing was tucking a 2-ride "experience" away into a small corner of Disneyland? Now, don't get me wrong, I know SW exists in other areas of the park...heck, just look at Tomorrowland/Star Wars Land Lite, but that seems short-sighted.

If indeed the speculated third gate plans to utilize it in ANY way, I just don't get why they wouldn't have foreseen being able to really give the franchise the real treatment it deserves where they had much more space. I sound like some SW apologist which I can assure you I am not. Again this is all speculative.

At this point, what's done is done, SWL will be what it is, and the third gate will be whatever it is. It just makes me scratch my head.

Earl Sweatpants

3rd gate... I'm pretty sure they still need to buy some property that is part/next to the planned lot. Plus, they would need another large parking structure to support it. Where...Angel Stadium area? I think it's still years and years away..
A new parking structure is already being constructed along Harbor.

Phroobar

Never underestimate the power of a bulldozer. Just because it is there now doesn't mean it will be there forever. Change is good.

Phroobar

I don’t see any reason why having Star Wars Land in Disneyland means there can’t be additional Star Wars offerings in a hypothetical 3rd Gate.
It totally could have SW offerings in a 3rd gate but that would make the self proclaimed Disney expert-fan boy/girl's mind explode. They have enough problem getting their minds around SWL and Star Tours in two different places in one park.(that Walt would never approve of)

britain

Sure. Like, if the theme of the 3rd park was sort of a semi-AK / World Showcase like "Exotic Cultures & Extreme Climates" like Tibet, Africa, Arctic, Polynesia you could segue into some Endor village, or whatever.

Not that it would be ideal, but you could.

britain

I predict that it will try to stretch to hit aspects of the world (and popular IPs) that DL and DCA don't currently and comfortably support. Cherry pick the best of World Showcase, AK and TDS. Tie together with some sort of conceptual hook (like the ports of the world, in TDS case).

I'm leaving Future World out for obvious "Can't keep up with the future" reasons.

Phroobar

Whatever kind of park the third gate is, it must include the Disney characters from day one. Disney tried to keep Mickey and friends out of Epcot and DCA and failed. People want to see the characters somehow in all Disney parks.

SSG

I predict that it will try to stretch to hit aspects of the world (and popular IPs) that DL and DCA don't currently and comfortably support. Cherry pick the best of World Showcase, AK and TDS. Tie together with some sort of conceptual hook (like the ports of the world, in TDS case).

I'm leaving Future World out for obvious "Can't keep up with the future" reasons.
Yeah, that’s what I think as well. 'Disney World’s of Wonder', or some such. Very generic, so good stuff from other parks and heavy doses of Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar can all go in.

britain

Whatever kind of park the third gate is, it must include the Disney characters from day one. Disney tried to keep Mickey and friends out of Epcot and DCA and failed. People want to see the characters somehow in all Disney parks.

Yeah, I don't get that. But yeah, a lot of people need their mouse.

BrianLo

Original Poster
SW is a HUGE IP minefield that has spanned decades. And all they felt like doing was tucking a 2-ride "experience" away into a small corner of Disneyland? Now, don't get me wrong, I know SW exists in other areas of the park...heck, just look at Tomorrowland/Star Wars Land Lite, but that seems short-sighted.

If indeed the speculated third gate plans to utilize it in ANY way, I just don't get why they wouldn't have foreseen being able to really give the franchise the real treatment it deserves where they had much more space.

It seems folks are getting caught up in the number of rides. No one is going to walk away when this opens thinking Bugs Land did it better because it has 5 rides.

This is a fairly major first offering. It's much closer to Gringotts and Hogsmeade combined than either on their own.

We've come a long way when insiders are saying we are getting a land with what is currently on track for the best E-ticket Disney has ever built (preferences aside) and another that easily will make people's top 5-10. Tacked onto one of the most immersive single lands Disney has attempted... And the reaction is - "that's it?"

I'm scratching my head for a different reason. We always want more more more.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Whatever the third park is, it will likely be a 'Magic Kingdom'.

TDS is the Magic Kingdom with a different wrapping. Not an insult to the park, but that's what works. Walt nailed the model.

The studio park has never really worked, the world fair model is wonderful (but Disney can't maintain it), AK is boutique and needs a driving force behind it like Rohde.

Or the other option is the Islands of IP, that would be my secondary bet.

DDLand

Sure. Like, if the theme of the 3rd park was sort of a semi-AK / World Showcase like "Exotic Cultures & Extreme Climates" like Tibet, Africa, Arctic, Polynesia you could segue into some Endor village, or whatever.

Not that it would be ideal, but you could.
Yeah, that’s what I think as well. 'Disney World’s of Wonder', or some such. Very generic, so good stuff from other parks and heavy doses of Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar can all go in.
That's basically what my guess for a third park would be. What really stands out now is how Epcot is famous for attracting adults for dinner, drinks, and fireworks around a lagoon. While Disneyland Resort has some nightlife, adding a World Showcase Lagoon type park with IP rides like the Rat and perhaps another SW and Marvel Land or two would be a huge boon for food and drink sales. Disneyland also has the massive local AP base who could come in a whim to drink and dine at their favorite Restaurant.

They could also relocate the beer and win festival from Disney California Adventure, and keep it going year round like at Epcot! (Maybe not year round, but it sure feels like it)

Admittedly this was part of the idea that led to Disney's California Adventure, but I figure if they execute it right, they can turn it into the same gold mine Epcot is.

The other thing they could attend to is adding more DAK hyper realistic gritty lands like Asia and Africa. Those types of Lands aren't really at Disneyland Resort yet. Seems like the next obvious step.
It totally could have SW offerings in a 3rd gate but that would make the self proclaimed Disney expert-fan boy/girl's mind explode. They have enough problem getting their minds around SWL and Star Tours in two different places in one park.(that Walt would never approve of)
I haven't seen much criticism of that. I think most Disneyland fans like Star Tours. It's the massive land being built that's the problem.
Epcot Center's launch doubled Walt Disney World attendance first year of operation, and proceeded to build it into the Resort destination we know today.

It wasn't a failure except a failure of leadership.

This is a talking point that got shouted out after the Pixar buyout. Disney's Animal Kingdom, with exception of some light IP at Planet Watch, Lion King Stage show, and Tough to be a bug, is essentially IP less. It's still clearly a Disney Park, but the rides don't center around popular IP. Dinosaur comes closest, but most people forgot about the movie. It's also perhaps the best park at WDW. So this mentality that characters have to be everywhere is silly.

Now looking realistically, will it have a ton of IP? Probably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom