News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

brb1006

WDW and WDI don't seem to place as much care on planning and land use in the swamps. My guess is that is because of Walt's old blessing of size deal (Y'all recall when he said ''We have enough land here for all of the timeshares we can possibly dream up", right?) The Bob Iger Land IP MAGIC Park should have enough land to make for quality transitions, but I doubt you'll get them. ... And having Star Tours cut off from the SWE is bizarre because I will bet that, unlike Anaheim, ST stays open for years in the swamps.

IMPROVE?!?!?!? Where's my crazy Phil Kippel emojis? Hold on ... :mad::mad::mad::mad: OK, there we go.

Some of us loved the beautiful natural rustic feel of Frontierland's back country. Don't know why, could it be because it fit so well? Despite talk of saving trees, Disney basically denuded the area of trees that in some cases dated back to the 1950s. Just hacked them to pieces. Yes, they will be improving the banks of the RoA and tossing a few nice and cheap show upgrades along the way. But I find it hard to praise them when two Star Wars attractions that don't come close to Walt-era high capacity E-Tix 50 years later is what we are getting.

And every man and woman I have talked to that works or has worked for WDI who isn't involved in the project has ripped Disney for this ... oh, and for that little Guardians of the Galaxy takeover of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. It would seem today that WDI (stateside anyway where they don't have to answer to other ownership groups or the Chinese Communist Party) has lost all ability to pitch non-IP projects or to make sure they are placed where they belong from a thematic and storytelling and cohesive standpoint.

But what do I know. John Hench, Herb Ryman and Marc Davis and Co would have loved this type of forced placement.;):D:eek:
I feel like I'm reading your posts in an old man's voice.
Grumpy-old-man.jpg

180º

Your feelings are valid. I just don't understand why so many folks put so much value into that modestly landscaped berm that really didn't hide the Mickey & Friends parking structure and/or the Banco Popular bank building on Ball Road. It was just a giant green semi-opaque wall that had very minimal themeing, very minimal "show" in the form of a dozen frozen fiberglass animals and some rickety Indians, and a whole lot of taped banjo music for the seven minutes it took to pass by on the Mark Twain and get back to some real Disneyland scenery. Or you could listen to some college guy CM on the Canoes making bad jokes about the "Pinewood Indians". (Cause they are made out of pine wood!)

I guess if you don't have a car and can't get to any of the truly legit county or state parks or any of the excellent botanical sites in SoCal, that six or seven minutes on the Mark Twain slowly passing by a thin line of trees and some ratty shrubs counts as some sort of nature experience. But I thought it was boring. Your mileage may vary. ;)
Just to clarify, the reason I liked it isn't because I'm a poor untravelled peasant and it was a makeshift nature experience or anything like that. Quite the contrary, and that may be why I was so fond of the greenery. Of course it doesn't compare to the real thing, but it has its own aesthetic value. You don't have to be ignorant to enjoy the smaller, fictional wonders of Disneyland.

In other words, I liked the slow boat ride through the trees because: Personal preference.

As for the sparseness, trees were cut down and the foliage was thinned out a few years ago, and that's how we got the views of M&F. I admit that took it down a notch, but it wasn't always like that. In any case, I'll still miss it.

Here's my last photo of my beloved Great Big Boring Wall of Green, taken during a rainstorm just before the river closed for construction:

IMG_4313.JPG

Phroobar

In other words, I liked the slow boat ride through the trees because: Personal preference.
I think you hit it on the head. It all boils down to personal preference. My personal preference might be different from yours and that is ok. It would suck to have a forum where every one agrees on everything. We are here to debate it's merits but in the end, it really doesn't matter since we are not the ones making the decisions.

Earl Sweatpants

It's funny though, the mantra that "Bob" synonymous for corporate Disney doesn't give a **** about Disneyland's history is getting harder to maintain when they are replacing the 80's Big Thunder Elements with throwbacks to Nature's Wonderland.
If Robert *Middle Name* Iger was actually behind the decision to creatively harken back to something from Disney's heyday and not the result of clever Imagineering...I'll eat my own shoe.

BrianLo

Original Poster
If Robert *Middle Name* Iger was actually behind the decision to creatively harken back to something from Disney's heyday and not the result of clever Imagineering...I'll eat my own shoe.

Of course he isn't behind it.

That's why he is the synonym for corporate Disney.

I'm ready for him to leave, but more for the sake of WDW. TDO needs a CEO who really cares and will blow up that corporate structure.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
You make valid points here. You also ignore a fundemental truth.

Disneyland wasn't invented day 1, it was an iterative process that led to the Disneyland we know and love.

He invented the theme park genre, and out of that comes all modern design evolution. He took disparate themes and ideas and merged them together. There's some European Amusement/theme park DNA in Disneyland. There's a little bit of American Amusment park thinking. There's strong inspiration from living history parks like that of the Henry Ford. In the end he created something distinctly different. Something that had never been done before.

He still wasn't finished though. Over the next couple years they innovated, tested, and built a huge number of concepts. If something didn't work he'd move on, and if they did he doubled down. The classic Pirates of the Carribean and New Orleans Square prove just how far they'd come from the beginning. They built an all inclusive land with themed shopping, dining, and attractions integrated in. Walt and his team had cracked the basic model Harry Potter and Cars Land would follow decades later.

He was somewhat burdened by the fact that he didn't know what it would become, but he navigated it beautifully. In the end, Disneyland has a number of quirks which you pointed out. Those are just testaments to the will of an innovative founder who constantly pushed boundaries and tried new things. It also gives it a charm that is uniquely Disneyland. No other park can ever be quite like Disneyland. It's special. It's by far the best domestic park, and probably the best park in the world (though I'll see what Sea brings to the table soon).

All without Rey, Finn, and BB-8.

I will fight you on Matterhorn though, I think its placement is a perfect complement to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. ;) Just like a page from a storybook.

The question of whether Star Wars fits into Disneyland doesn't mean I never want things to change or be added. I never want people to ask, "what would Walt do?" That's not what any creative should ever ask. I do want creatives to ask, "what can I do that will complement what Walt did?" "How can I celebrate Disneyland's history while looking forward?" "How can I make the spirit that Disney created better?" Instead they seem to be cramming something in. That's a red flag for me. Cool transitions are nice, but that doesn't mean they justify changing the makeup of the park.

I say Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, etc. all complement the incredible achievements and are rides that are clearly in the Disney tradition.

Star Wars is different.

Jungle Cruise and Tomorrowland Subs/Monorail/Autopia are the next targets for IP locations in my view. There's only so much classic Disneyland, and when it's gone, it's gone forever.

Yeah, you're so right. Disneyland isn't relevant. It's soooo old fashioned. Does anyone even go there anymore?!?

If your "dreams, ideals, and hard facts" include BB-8 and Rey, more power to you.

I do somewhat dislike that Walt quote-and I know that may sound hypocritical-because it's become synonymous with forcing things that don't fit into theme parks. It's like "see see we have this quote, so you better like it!" I also think that ignores that fact that many of the contemporary creations of his day have become cultural institutions today. I'm not against adding things, just adding things that make Disneyland less special.

Recall Disneyland isn't out of room. There is a giant swath of land suitable for a 3rd park, when and if they feel so inclined.

The land isn't BB8/Rey land, that's a bit reductive of what imagineering is actually doing. Maybe the garbage plans multiple iterations ago. This is decidedly its own developed for parks narrative.

Phroobar

The Disney Corporation doesn't work like it did when Walt was in charge. Back then it was like a small company where the owner had direct control over all aspects of the company. Today Iger has nothing to do with the addition of SWL beyond starting the initiative and maybe approving the final costs. Ever little decision people about around here is done by a group of middle managers that are driven by cost and project success not creativity or respect for the past.

Earl Sweatpants

I understand your passion for this stuff. However, I don't know Iger well enough to agree that SW Land is a physical manifestation of his ego. Even if I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one using hyperbolic language like 'damaging, ugly, uncontrollable thing' to describe the expansion doesn't help make your case stronger.

Now, not to be that guy, but can we stick to the OP's topic? There's another thread here somewhere in the DLR section where people are free to share their views on the merits of SW Land in DL.
I fail to see how SWE is anything but a stroke of his ego.
"We're putting Star Wars Lands in two parks!"
"But Bob...why?"
"Why?.........Because I can!"

OK, it probably didn't go exactly like that, but think about it. Iger acquired SW, MCU, and Pixar why? To help them creatively? No. To service his own pocketbook. Now in the remaining time he has left in office (barring a regrettable extension) he will leave his stamp on Disney by adding SWE, completely butchering one (hopefully not two) ToT's, a vastly sub-par TSL in DHS, and will continue to push the company AWAY from creating original content as much as possible. He's a businessman.

But, back on topic...

DDLand

Recall Disneyland isn't out of room. There is a giant swath of land suitable for a 3rd park, when and if they feel so inclined.
Indeed, I know of the Toy Story lot and its berry interesting past ;)

I also know that WDW had very suitable areas for expansion to look at when building Frozen. Magic Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and even a large expansion pad next to Norway.*

But they didn't utilize any of that space.

They went for the cheapest path of least resistance. Much like Star Wars land could have ended up in a 3rd gate, they instead went for the cheapest path of least resistance.

Not that the land will be cheap, it won't, but they did go the easiest route. Classic Disneyland's days are numbered at the rate we're going.
The land isn't BB8/Rey land, that's a bit reductive of what imagineering is actually doing. Maybe the garbage plans multiple iterations ago. This is decidedly its own developed for parks narrative.
Don't misinterpret me. I feel very strongly that this Land will be beyond awesome, but that doesn't mean it's well located.

And if you really pushed me, I'd even say that beyond Rey and BB-8 that I'm expecting R2D2 and C3PO to be there too!

*Well sort of... Meet and greet anyone?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Indeed, I know of the Toy Story lot and its berry interesting past ;)

I also know that WDW had very suitable areas for expansion to look at when building Frozen. Magic Kingdom, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and even a large expansion pad next to Norway.*

But they didn't utilize any of that space.

They went for the cheapest path of least resistance. Much like Star Wars land could have ended up in a 3rd gate, they instead went for the cheapest path of least resistance.

Not that the land will be cheap, it won't, but they did go the easiest route. Classic Disneyland's days are numbered at the rate we're going.

Don't misinterpret me. I feel very strongly that this Land will be beyond awesome, but that doesn't mean it's well located.

And if you really pushed me, I'd even say that beyond Rey and BB-8 that I'm expecting R2D2 and C3PO to be there too!

*Well sort of... Meet and greet anyone?

Ha ha that's ok. I understand where you are coming from and everyone's respective feelings behind the motivation or IP itself are entrenched!

As per the first part of the quote - this is not cheap, this is not the path of least resistance. This was literally the most superflurous option available in either Disneyland or DCA. They went with plan A, not even the first plan A, the one multiple iterations later when the BoD sent them back to make it more impressive.

Don't confuse Disneyland with WDW. Truck loads of money are being spent on making the resort third gate ready.

Timing cut out Star Wars from third gate, not cost. Blame Staggs for having no plan.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Ha ha that's ok. I understand where you are coming from and everyone's respective feelings behind the motivation or IP itself are entrenched!

As per the first part of the quote - this is not cheap, this is not the path of least resistance. This was literally the most superflurous option available in either Disneyland or DCA. They went with plan A, not even the first plan A, the one multiple iterations later when the BoD sent them back to make it more impressive.

Don't confuse Disneyland with WDW. Truck loads of money are being spent on making the resort third gate ready.

Timing cut out Star Wars from third gate, not cost. Blame Staggs for having no plan.

So well said. So many people will be surprised at how soon a third gate may be announced in relation to SWLs opening.

*1023*

britain

So well said. So many people will be surprised at how soon a third gate may be announced in relation to SWLs opening.

*1023*

Are you saying one is in development? Or simply saying that the board has decreed that DL and DCA need these substantial investments first, so that then the next ten years (2020-2030) can focus attention on developing the 3rd park?

Earl Sweatpants

Because DL hasn't had anything of substance added to it since Indy in '95. It's overdue.
So then it was addition for the sake of addition? Again, that seems shortsighted especially if they knew a third gate was coming which would have potentially resulted in a larger, grander SWL.

Phroobar

But then the only question becomes...why couldn't they just wait and use SW for that third gate instead of rushing out a truncated 2-ride land that's forced into a literal corner?
Maybe the third gate will have nothing to do with that IP. Maybe SWL is a great fit for DL and would be completely wrong and out of theme for a third gate. Maybe they have better things in mind for a third gate. Disney always surprises us with what they build.

Earl Sweatpants

Soon doesn't mean a third park is actually open by 2021. Delaying would still mean significant stagnation for DLR. We'd have a much worse Pandora-esque scenario on our hands.

You assume they aren't using Star Wars in the third gate?
I would assume they wouldn't make a grand gesture to SW in the third park...since it seems they're putting all their literal money into DL's SWL. Again, if they had plans to include SW in a third gate, why not just go ALL in?

Earl Sweatpants

Maybe the third gate will have nothing to do with that IP. Maybe SWL is a great fit for DL and would be completely wrong and out of theme for a third gate. Maybe they have better things in mind for a third gate. Disney always surprises us with what they build.
If by surprises, you mean frustrates...haha then yeah. I have no clue what this *still* hypothetical third gate would include. It could be one giant IP land. It could be not. It COULD be the Dark Kingdom which I desperately want them to go back into making...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom