A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

jt04

We're trying to discuss the actual issues here. You should consider joining in sometime, but if not, please stop trying to derail the discussion for the rest of us.

If by discussion you only mean 'agree with us' than no can do. My disagreement is legitimate. And I will continue to state my opinion. This is a discussion forum and not a place for people to be given marching orders. IMO.

Mike S

Bob Weis, the current head of Walt Disney Imagineering, was the creative lead on the Disney-MGM Studios and the Sunset Blvd expansion.
Hopefully that might mean something for the safety of the parks best areas. Everything seems in constant flux in those areas. Maybe it's his doing.
He said it fit in at the Studios in general. Which is does. A case could be made for In Epcot at future world as well, but the Studios are the most appropriate place for GoG. I mean, come on, even if it got a stand alone brand new attraction that wasn't replacing anything, folks here would go bonkers (more bonkers?) if it was going into AK or MK.
Besides DHS I'd be fine with Tomorrowland but that's about it. I'd also want that big ride that was proposed for Epcot but in one of those other two locations.

Nickels5

If by discussion you only mean 'agree with us' than no can do. My disagreement is legitimate. And I will continue to state my opinion. This is a discussion forum and not a place for people to be given marching orders. IMO.
Can I ask why anyone should take you seriously when you admit to not visiting the parks and have no knowledge on the rides or theming?

Phil12

I usually just don't even bother with you since your trolling is just so obvious that it borders on absolutely pathetic, but I gotta bite here.

Please, enlighten me. In what way does GotG even remotely fit into Sunset Boulevard?
How does "Beauty and the Beast Live Onstage", "Rock n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith" or "Fantasmic" fit into Sunset Blvd? They don't. But ToT does not need Twilight Zone. They can (and will) re-theme the ToT. I would prefer a Tales From the Crypt theme but since Disney doesn't own that IP, I'd be happy with GotG. And Disney doesn't want to repeat their Alien Encounter mistake and create something that will make children cry. The smart thing to do is change the theme and let the purists cry while Disney keeps collecting money in their bank. A good team of writers can make anything fit anywhere. Look at the Muppets in Liberty Square or Frozen Ever After in the WS. The bottom line is that what you and some others think of as theme is really just banal kitsch. And kitsch is fun for both children and adults.

FigmentForver96

I always know I am on the right track when disagreements can only be responded to with immature name calling and an avoidance of the actual issues. You stay classy.
Not really referring to any "name calling" just calling it like I see it. Want to discuss the real issues? Fine lets go. Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios is the pinnacle of Disney imagineering. There is no arguing that fact and while some can say otherwise that would be a small, very small, opinion in the sea of those who think it truly is. It redefined the standard for theme park rides. Now if we're talking about the idea of TZ being removed well you are right that the ride could survive without it but you are wrong saying that the concept of the TZ is outdated and not worth keeping. The TZ is a classic in old television and still runs of modern TV today and can be streamed on providers like Netflix. The popularity of the IP also has no effect of the popularity of the ride nor its ability to be effective in conjuring a complete ride experince. Rides like Splash Mountain have proved this again and again and again. The problem is when people like you somehow think that the theme is so old that people can't seem to relate or enjoy the ride experince because of the theme. Well that apparently isn't true since the ride is still popular. I will be first to admit part of it is because of the ride system but the TZ aspect plays a big role.

One simply has to sit in to listen to people echo the famous motto in the preshow or mimic the music during the ride. If anything the ride keeps the IP even more relavent. Now of course all things must change and maybe TZ needs to be removed, ok well the old abandoned aspect of the hotel could be kept. The ride and storyline could be left untouched.

Tower of Terror was meant to be the anchor of an entire expansion. It sits at the end of the street and can be seen from virtually anywhere on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset. The imagineers of that time went into great length to make sure the hotel works with its surrounding areas. It's theme on the outside is simple in that it portrays a hotel of that era, only enhancing the sense of place. It's forboding outside draws guest in and works in creating a experince that starts the moment you enter the park. Guarfians will do none of this. It will ruin the sight lines of Hollywood and Sunset, pulling us out of a sense of place and reminding is that we're just in a theme park. Something Disney parks typically never do. The view will be cluttered with a gross looking building on the Horizom. Then you have capcacity issues as the new experince will do nothing to add to the park.

So there are the issues. Tokyo did prove you don't have to use the IP. Many here would be less upset if they we're just removing TZ. Except that isn't what's happening.

Phil12

No, no, no. Take the religious aspect out of the equation. The ride should be "untouchable" because it's both a classic and an icon of the park. It has nothing to do with the popularity of the IP. Same goes for Splash Mountain which is also based on a less popular IP. Both are iconic, classic rides which should not be touched. I also disagree that this plan makes "perfect sense". Guardians of the Galaxy is a valuable IP and one of the few Marvel ones that can actually be used in Florida. Why not build an epic E-ticket based on the movies? If they are gutting Great Movie Ride why not put it there or actually build a new show building for it at DHS. GoTG deserves better than this. The plan makes no sense.
This "untouchable" concept for certain attractions is a religion among some people. That's a shame. Disney knows better and changes attractions. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World and others have received changes over the years. They become very stale without change. ToT will be changed. It's just a matter of what will replace Twilight Zone. As I've said, Tales From the Crypt would work for me but is far too intense for children. But GotG would work well I think.

Nickels5

This "untouchable" concept for certain attractions is a religion among some people. That's a shame. Disney knows better and changes attractions. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World and others have received changes over the years. They become very stale without change. ToT will be changed. It's just a matter of what will replace Twilight Zone. As I've said, Tales From the Crypt would work for me but is far too intense for children. But GotG would work well I think.
Your a fool. Point blank

Phil12

I agree that "sacred" goes too far. But ToT is an amazing attraction that is perfectly themed (In the ride area itself, In that area of the park, and in the park as a whole). It's widely considered one of the best Disney rides EVER. I'd be completely fine with Guardians replacing it IF it is just as amazing in every regard or even better. I, like others, doubt it will be able to fit as perfectly as ToT does as an icon to the park as a whole (which with its size, it will always be an icon). I love Guardians and I want a ride, I just think so many other places would work better as a retheme without getting rid of such an amazing ride and icon. I'd say Misson space or Rocking Roller Coaster are both better spots for a quick retheme aand a Guardians overlay could really IMPROVE both of those instead of, at absolute best, just not completely ruin ToT.
I don't go along with the "perfectly themed" idea for ToT. It's going to change. There's no good reason for Disney to continue to promote a TV series that went off the air a half century ago. I'm confident they can theme ToT to GotG and make it every bit as good and better than the current attraction. After all, look at the amazing work they did with Frozen Ever After. Also, Meet The Robinsons or The Incredibles could work well in ToT.

Mike S

jt and Phil in a nutshell.
south-park-season-20-750x490.jpg

mickEblu

Hi @WDW1974

Just wanted to repost a few questions I sent you when you first broke this news in case you missed them in a sea of other questions. Thank you, I appreciate you sharing what you can.

DCA is another matter.

Guardians Tower is the first step toward Marvel Land or maybe they'll call the land Pomona to keep the CA theme and all. Disney and Chappie not only want but have to spend loads of $$$ to keep their no-tax on tickets as per an agreement with the city of Anaheim. That deal does NOT include the SWE or the Tower redo, so lots of projects are going to be added at a pace not seen since the Disney Dec...OK, not really ever seen. That means you should be teased with future Marvel projects by next summer's D23 Expo.

I'm pretty sure I am misreading this but are you saying that Star Wars land does NOT count towards Disney's agreement with Anaheim to spend 1.5 billion over xxx years? If so...WOW. I was pretty sure the Tower retheme didn't count but Star Wars land!? So what does count? The new hotel, Frozen attraction/ FL expansion, Marvel land and possible Downtown Disney re-do?

Are you able to share if the FL expansion at DL includes anything substantial other then the Frozen attraction? Is Toontown gone? Also, is there another attraction planned for Marvel land at DCA other than the Cap coaster? Other than GOTG :rolleyes:

Sorry, you ve been gone for a while and I have lots of questions. :)

Super bummed about the TOT news in Florida. Looks like I have to plan my first trip to WDW before 2018.

Castle Cake Apologist

He said it fit in at the Studios in general. Which is does. A case could be made for In Epcot at future world as well, but the Studios are the most appropriate place for GoG. I mean, come on, even if it got a stand alone brand new attraction that wasn't replacing anything, folks here would go bonkers (more bonkers?) if it was going into AK or MK.

But that's not what the discussion is about. This is specifically about GotG going into ToT, where it does not fit. Especially visually. The new facade does not in any way fit into Sunset Boulevard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom