A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

RSoxNo1

A GOTG overlay on the ToT would be like losing the original Journey Into Imagination.
No, this would most definitely be worse than any of the Epcot replacements. At the time of the Epcot replacements (mainly Horizons, Imagination and World of Motion) the attractions were showing their age and in need of upgrades. We just didn't know the upgrades were going to be inferior.

Tower of Terror is currently a top 3 attraction at WDW by any metric and I'd be hard pressed to come up with 5 rides I've experienced anywhere that are better than it. It's still an excellent attraction and other than some audio issues doesn't need much love at all.

If you want to put Marvel in WDW, DHS (or Disney's Magical Underground/Disney's Hollywood Adventure/IPcot) is the correct park. But expand the park with new attractions, don't replace one of the few things that are currently great about that park.

If they're going to put more Marvel in the park than just GotG the best option is to have the RnRC area loop back to animation courtyard. RnRC can be given a Marvel retheme and if you demo the current Launch Bay building you've got enough room for a substantial land.

erider

I think it's not cheapness but rather spiraling costs of development/construction. At some point the people in charge have to enforce a reasonable budget. The new kids up the block seem to be able to build world class attractions without spending billions on them.
Then why can DCA still get the mega E-ticket Captain America coaster which sounds like it's sort of similar? I always thought WDW was the flagship resort.

The Empress Lilly

I am really interested in seeing the level of uproar from the WDW fan community. Not just in this forum but overall. How loud will it get is my question...which I guess we will find out eventually.
Disney learned way back from the Toad backlash there is nothing to be afraid of. Which has been confirmed time and again.

And if they do lose us as customers, so much the better. Disney doesn't need us. WDW has been replacing the middle class for moneyed lower class and thrived.

lazyboy97o

I think it's not cheapness but rather spiraling costs of development/construction. At some point the people in charge have to enforce a reasonable budget. The new kids up the block seem to be able to build world class attractions without spending billions on them.
And this is compounded by industry experience being a disqualifier to actually run the business unit. They don't know where the fat is to cut it out. Nobody is going to volunteer to be downsized.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney learned way back from the Toad backlash there is nothing to be afraid of. Which has been confirmed time and again.

And if they do lose us as customers, so much the better. Disney doesn't need us. WDW has been replacing the middle class for moneyed lower class and thrived.

Well...just thinking it is a different time now. social media has a lot more reach than when toad was closed. Not saying it will make a difference. I just don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.

ParentsOf4

It is still getting several billion dollars in investment.
Please tell more. If Disney has announced plans to spend "several billion dollars in investment" then I'm all (mouse) ears. :)

They did announce an increase of $800M in domestic theme park spending but I'm unaware of any other publically disclosed information regarding actual spending levels for the next several years.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wdwfan22

But the world has changed, WFTV *ABC's affiliate in O-Town* thinks manchild Tom 'Amity' Corless is a go-to source for reporting a very serious piece on the terrorist threat to WDW and Disney's security theater answer/response ... so, yeah, the world is upside down.

I have to laugh because I saw that piece yesterday. He had nothing to contribute to the story and basically just stood there like an idiot. Why WFTV thought he should be interviewed is beyond me.

flyerjab

@WDW1974 , thanks for the info. There was so much offered I don't want to push the envelope too far and drive the masses more insane with bad news (or good news depending upon your street corner), but beyond UoE changing for the 50th, what else have you heard regarding Epcot? There have been many rumors here of late suggesting that there is a considerable amount of capital investment being planned for the once great and transcendent park of the 1980s. Items of note tossed around as of late have been a new country pavilion, Ratatouille in France, complete revamp of the entrance to the park all the way up to WS, repurposing of Innoventions areas, you name it.

Just curious, seeing as how you are in such a giving mood.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I honestly can't even comprehend this, I mean I absolutely hate the decision to axe the DCA Tower as well, but, at the very last, that version did not achieve untouchable classic status. Or using UoE - the attraction's been dead for years anyway, I can almost justify it in that it's lazy to plop it down in Epcot but makes sense from a business standpoint to breathe life back into that corner of Future World. WDW ToT, however, is right up there along with Haunted Mansion, Pirates, the best of them. There's absolutely no way this wouldn't result in unprecedented backlash.

^^Yes, what you said!"
They might as well turn Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Jungle Cruise to Guardians of the Galaxy if they are going to do this to WDW's Tower of Terror.
Heck, why not GotG the Castle?!

doctornick

If they're going to put more Marvel in the park than just GotG the best option is to have the RnRC area loop back to animation courtyard. RnRC can be given a Marvel retheme and if you demo the current Launch Bay building you've got enough room for a substantial land.

Bingo. Feel free to replace RNR if you must and create a Marvel/superhero land around that which would eventually connect to Animation courtyard once the Launch Bay building (and the connecting old Animation Bldg being used as offices) is demo'ed. Plenty of room there without touching Sunset Blvd proper. And making a connection there would dramatically improve the guest flow of the park.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The TZToT is a multi-generational classic that will hold up forever since it is based on a milieu that may be obscure but exists as a kind of cultural Platonic ideal. Since theme park attractions and lands are around for more than one season, this should be a paramount consideration. If I'm lucky enough for grandkids it is not clear to me that they will even know what Guardians of the Galaxy is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom