News Tomorrowland love

Goofyernmost

That sounds a LOT like the 1950's. ;)
Late 50's early 60's actually. I was 14 in 1962 and we lived along side the South Gate of Plattsburgh AFB. A SAC base that housed Nuclear armed B-52's. It was a prime target for Russian Missiles at the time due to it being the closest major military base when coming over the North Pole region. We had something like 12 or more armed missile silo's surrounding the area. When the Cuban Missile crises happened, you would not believe just how tense everything got around the city of Plattsburgh, NY at the time. Duck and Cover would have been useless. In fact, no one in the area had a fallout shelter because all it would have become was our own personal spaceship as it launched into space after the explosions. Yet, most everything had to go on, business as usual, during that time, but, I will tell you, it was some scary.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
the second picture, missing the trees makes the castle feel closer, but not in a good way...it also makes it appear smaller... While great for fireworks at the end of the night, it looks too open...

I agree. Even without the trees there are other ways to make the castle recede into the background as was done to a greater extent with Beast's castle. Imagineers can just as easily paint the castle in more bluer tones, going lighter in paint color with each tier to create added atmospheric perspective. Although it would probably be simpler to just add some dang trees. A bit of armchair imagineering but a few well placed haze machines on the roof-line of Main Street could add just enough "barrier" between our eyes and the castle off in the distance to make the depth more believable. Added bonus: They can use the fog to pump out that delicious cookie smell.

Isn't this thread about Tomorrowland?

The Empress Lilly

Indeed.

Thematically it's very much needed in my opinion since it was specifically designed that way.

I understand why the trees can't be as big as they used to be, but why on earth they can't be similar to those in Disneyland is beyond me.

Here's a mockup I did a while back:

Cxf8Uww.jpg

vs

1ujSxCP.jpg

It would help tremendously.
Nothing is more needed in all of WDW than those four trees.

Personally I would just tractor them out of the way at night for a show and drive them back in after park closure.

tirian

Well, everyone should be encouraged by the fact that as soon as the public tires of the Castle projections the trees will be back. Until then, don't hold your breath no matter how much one thinks it "looks better". I don't care about the projections, but, I still think it looks better without them then with them. Trees I can see when I look out my window at home, Castles are rather limited in my neighborhood.
The trees create a necessary visual comparison for the forced perspective to make the castle look even bigger. There's a reason the Imagineers who created the castle you love planted trees at its base instead of plopping it amid concrete.

The Empress Lilly

The trees create a necessary visual comparison for the forced perspective to make the castle look even bigger. There's a reason the Imagineers who created the castle you love planted trees at its base instead of plopping it amid concrete.
The castle looks off at the moment. Maybe it is the extra towers, maybe the stage, maybe the Disney Store blingbling gold of the stage, maybe the trees, or the vast emptiness of the Red Square in front. I can't quite figure it out, but the hub and the view down Main Street are lost, much like the entrance of EPCOT.

Speaking of your imagineers and their intention, might as well bring out old concept art:

fffca8d15f8c68b7878d629da029eb5b.jpg

Goofyernmost

Yup, and that reason was that they weren't planning any Castle projection show. Any trees planted in the front would have grown and had the opposite affect of making the "castle look bigger", creating an ongoing problem of having to remove and replace them. So it was just because that is the look that they wanted at the time and had nothing to do, over the long haul, with forced perspective.

The Empress Lilly

Yup, and that reason was that they weren't planning any Castle projection show. Any trees planted in the front would have grown and had the opposite affect of making the "castle look bigger", creating an ongoing problem of having to remove and replace them. So it was just because that is the look that they wanted at the time and had nothing to do, over the long haul, with forced perspective.
That is a good point. As far as I know, for most places exact tree height and density was not decided upon, set in stone for all eternity. Basically the trees just grow, then get replaced every now and then. MK and EPCOT looked rather sparse the first decade, and have looked like the set of the Jungle Book at other times.

But not anything goes. The Jungle Cruise needs to be lush, Main Street pruned, the hub a city park, the back of RoA forrested, Tomorrowland Discoveryland manicured.

And the two trees in front of the Mansion need to go, and the trees in front of the castle need to return.

Goofyernmost

That is a good point. As far as I know, for most places exact tree height and density was not decided upon, set in stone for all eternity. Basically the trees just grow, then get replaced every now and then. MK and EPCOT looked rather sparse the first decade, and have looked like the set of the Jungle Book at other times.

But not anything goes. The Jungle Cruise needs to be lush, Main Street pruned, the hub a city park, the back of RoA forrested, Tomorrowland Discoveryland manicured.

And the two trees in front of the Mansion need to go, and the trees in front of the castle need to return.
Not really wanting to carry this on, because the idea that the trees in front of the castle need to return is actually more your personal concept then a necessity. As I have stated multiple times, "real" castles are not generally hidden by trees, they are foregrounded by lush gardens with flowers and fountains, trimmed hedges and pathways. (sound familiar) The thing is that everyone has there own idea of how things should look. There is no right or wrong answer, just whatever will satisfy each persons personal tastes. Me? Either way is fine with me, however, we cannot let ourselves lose track of the idea that all of MK beyond the entrance is a stage. Currently the show includes castle projections that are very popular. Think of it as a situation where the trees are curtains and they have been opened as wide as possible to allow the audience to see the entire show. Because of that, until the projections become boring and no longer work, the trees will not be there.

Everything else that you listed is absolutely correct, at least for now, with the possible exception of the HM, I don't see why that one would matter. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Last edited:

njDizFan

I don't think you can make a blanket statement that castles are not hidden be trees. There are the castles on vast open landscapes most notably seen in the UK. Then the type built into mountains or on top of a mountains(Germany, Austria). Also the classic moat style with 30 foot walls. But what characteristic the "real" castles have is size. These are immense structures most of which would dwarf Cinderella castle(in footprint perhaps not in height). It needs help to project that size and trees add that level of perspective.

Neuschwanstein Castle(the castle that was used as a model for the Disney Castles)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom