Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Big Thing

Epcot didn't need one. That's what made Epcot, well EPCOT Center anyway. It was unique. It was its own park.

That's why they had the MK.

One coaster at Epcot is unlikely to attract the demographic who go to Uni, Busch or Seaworld for their coasters.
Multiple different coasters were proposed for WS in the 80's though. Mt. Fuji and a Matterhorn clone. Then there was that stupid Timeracers idea, too.

Coasters in Epcot isn't a foreign idea. It's just that it's been almost 35 years without one, so it's not something we expect from the park. However, had Mt. Fuji or Matterhorn happened in the 80's, would we be having this conversation about how coasters "don't belong" in Epcot?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Multiple different coasters were proposed for WS in the 80's though. Mt. Fuji and a Matterhorn clone. Then there was that stupid Timeracers idea, too.

Coasters in Epcot isn't a foreign idea. It's just that it's been almost 35 years without one, so it's not something we expect from the park. However, had Mt. Fuji or Matterhorn happened in the 80's, would we be having this conversation about how coasters "don't belong" in Epcot?
Good call.

Perhaps I should have said a coaster shouldn't be replacing something that could be awe inspiring again.

Like DHS, it should be something new in addition to the current facilities. Not a replacement. For those who want their 2 minute 38 seconds of thrill.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

No, but the sad thing for me is that with this, they will have converted each of the three original Future World East pavilions into thrill rides. We had three long rides which managed to teach everyone in an entertaining way and they will have been replaced by three thrill rides that largely have no educational value. At least the first Test Track was ostensibly an auto-testing facility that tried to teach us something. The current one has fun visuals at points but I can't make sense out of what is actually supposed to be happening.

Next Big Thing

No, but the sad thing for me is that with this, they will have converted each of the three original Future World East pavilions into thrill rides. We had three long rides which managed to teach everyone in an entertaining way and they will have been replaced by three thrill rides that largely have no educational value. At least the first Test Track was ostensibly an auto-testing facility that tried to teach us something. The current one has fun visuals at points but I can't make sense out of what is actually supposed to be happening.
Agreed.

I would love for something great and edutaintment-al to be done at WOL. Even if they used an IP - say BH6 - They could easily use that to tie back into the original WOL theme. I guarantee they wouldn't though if something BH6 actually did happen. Would probably just be one ride with no real educational value.

Mike S

Agreed.

I would love for something great and edutaintment-al to be done at WOL. Even if they used an IP - say BH6 - They could easily use that to tie back into the original WOL theme. I guarantee they wouldn't though if something BH6 actually did happen. Would probably just be one ride with no real educational value.
If WDW got a BH6 ride we would finally be able to say we got a clone from Tokyo...
Big-Hero-6-ride.jpg

Next Big Thing

It's the same ride as Mater's and Buzz, which is why that's what we would get.

Nice and cheap.
Huh, interesting.

Going back to my last post, I still think it would be interesting if they took one side of Innoventions and themed it to BH6. Maybe add this ride in a corner and then a bunch of science and health exhibits everywhere else, which would actually edutain!

seabreezept813

The condition is unacceptable 100% agree, but that's where this conversation even started. Most people (as in the general public not on these boards) that have been on it, most consider it to be a meh ride. It doesn't suck, it's a decent ride including the dinosaur part, but it just doesn't have that feeling of greatness, and the only reason I will ever re ride it is for the dinosaur part. It is its saving grace. Any future version will suffer the same issue. Most people don't want to watch a 30 minute show over and over and over no matter how good it is, and the only reason it even has people going on it is because Epcot has so little to do ride wise. I can spend all day in world showcase, but if want to ride a great ride I have three options.

I see what you're saying, but to me Disney isn't just about great rides. Not everything can be at the level of Splash or Tower of Terror. Maelstrom was never a great ride, but I loved it for it's charm and subject matter. Peter Pan, although quaint, is still amazing because the designers knew how to use theatrical effects to create emotion. There needs to be a balance. So I'll have to respectfully disagree that Ellen's Energy couldn't live into the future with proper love and care and probably sans Ellen.

Bocabear

Looks like a neat ride, but I have to ask: when did Baymax clone himself?
it looks incredibly lame and cheap...and really does that even make sense? Baymax carting you around on a whip style ride? Tow-mater is cute and makes some sense but this would be just stupid...there are so many better things they could do with this ip... Please NO to this attraction...

doctornick

it looks incredibly lame and cheap...and really does that even make sense? Baymax carting you around on a whip style ride? Tow-mater is cute and makes some sense but this would be just stupid...there are so many better things they could do with this ip... Please NO to this attraction...

Big Hero 6/Baymax has so much more potential for a theme park ride as well. It would actually be a great option for a concept for Epcot if an IP must be used -- if it were executed properly. There's clearly potential there for an immersive ride but also opportunities to be educational and inspiring about robotics and future medical innovations.

Regardless, the Baymax whip ride is going into Tokyo and there is no evidence it is coming to WDW.

Mike S

Big Hero 6/Baymax has so much more potential for a theme park ride as well. It would actually be a great option for a concept for Epcot if an IP must be used -- if it were executed properly. There's clearly potential there for an immersive ride but also opportunities to be educational and inspiring about robotics and future medical innovations.

Regardless, the Baymax whip ride is going into Tokyo and there is no evidence it is coming to WDW.
In Tokyo it's also just a minuscule part of a larger expansion plan compared to, say, the 11 acre TSL.

britain

In school? That's what schools are for.

Bah schools... my point was that I never learned stuff like that when I was in elementary school.

I thought you were going to say, "Youtube?" I didn't have that back then, but my kids eat up all sorts of educational documentaries.

Matt_Black

Bah schools... my point was that I never learned stuff like that when I was in elementary school.

Well, understandable. As many states are mandating that schools focus on important skills that are used in the real world, like CURSIVE WRITING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom