Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

FigmentForver96

It can hold about 2,400 people per hour, but rarely, and I mean rarely even on busy days are half the seats filled up. So let's say it has 1,500 riders per hour and that's being generous, it closes at 7pm, and a good chunk of people use it just to rest, it's their first time or they go on it for the Dinasaur segment. The dinosaur part is incredible, everything else about that ride is so dated. It is that type of ride that you ride once, or you go on for nostalgia. That's it. It's better than figment, but again that's the only reason. By comparison to capacity for Pirates, 3,200+ per hour. The one in Paris in August usually has a 40 minute wait, Disney World has somewhere between an average of 20 and 30 minute waits for potc. The bottom line is it is not a good ride. I'm kind of in shock how all of this sudden it is now a good ride. Peter Pan is the same thing, people ride it for nostalgia. Although Disney won't ever get rid of Peter Pan as that is true nostalgia (40+ years old that is a must do on many people's list, that can't be said for ellen by almost anyone), but again we're losing sight that Energy is really not a good ride, you can replace the films, but it will just end up being the same thing. A ride that was good at first, but becomes awful after riding it a few times without nostalgia. The ride should be completely gutted, possibly a rollercoaster, the dino go to Animal Kingdom, and the ride becomes an energy ride. That won't happen sadly, so we're getting a Guardians of The Galaxy Rollercoaster. Not happy about the placement, but it is significantly better than leaving this ride to die.
I think most people agree the ride needs updating. Guardians is not the answer.

Daveeeeed

I think the problem here isn't that nobody likes Energy or Ellen's Energy, but rather the condition of the ride is unacceptable. Also due to it's length my family only ever rode it every one out of two times because we didn't want to budget 40 minutes.
The concept still works, it just needs to be updated and reimagined. I grew up with the Ellen version and enjoyed it. If it's predecessor was as amazing as members imply here, it has the potential to be amazing.
The condition is unacceptable 100% agree, but that's where this conversation even started. Most people (as in the general public not on these boards) that have been on it, most consider it to be a meh ride. It doesn't suck, it's a decent ride including the dinosaur part, but it just doesn't have that feeling of greatness, and the only reason I will ever re ride it is for the dinosaur part. It is its saving grace. Any future version will suffer the same issue. Most people don't want to watch a 30 minute show over and over and over no matter how good it is, and the only reason it even has people going on it is because Epcot has so little to do ride wise. I can spend all day in world showcase, but if want to ride a great ride I have three options.

Daveeeeed

I think most people agree the ride needs updating. Guardians is not the answer.
Never said it was. I don't want guardians at all. It needs to be redone as another energy ride. The whole thing started with Marni disliking me liking that a coaster would go into the universe of energy, which is okay but he seemed to take offense.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

So they were like BTMRR level of thrill or even less than that?

I don't remember ever riding WoM but from video I know which I would prefer right now. Recently I've grown distant to Test Track's thrill. I don't know why, I just have.
Test Track isn't really a true thrill ride. Tron Track is what messed it up.

Daveeeeed

Guys to clarify this is my view. Let's keep this realistic, so taking out a severely needing an update ride is probably more likely than building something completely new. I think Energy should be replaced with another energy ride, possibly a roller coaster. I dislike how Guardians of the Galaxy is going there, but I think it is better to get a new 100+ million dollar, sure to be great, attraction than keep very outdated rides forever. I think Figment should be redone into a trackless ride themed around Figment, and the Dreamfinder. That's all this is all I am saying is that The Universe of Energy is not what it was at the beginning of both of the rides that have been there. They were good at first, but they both needed to be replaced decade or so to keep it relevant. Movie rides usually don't have very good rideability besides nostalgia, that's why the dinosaur segment is the saving grace for the attraction. It doesn't suck, I don't know why I was making like the attraction was terrible, but again after the first time people generally have no reason to re ride it besides there not being that much to do in the park ride wise. Imagine if The Great Movie ride would've been 30 minutes of a film through the movies and just had a very long Wizard of Oz scene. It doesn't make it a bad ride, but it gets tiresome. CinéMagique in Disneyland Paris is basically this, but like the movie segments of Ellen it is good, it just doesn't work out very well for rerideability. And because Ellen is an absolutely massive show building compared to just a large movie theater. Just because it is a good ride your first time riding doesn't mean it doesn't need to completely go. I would be fine with them keeping the current everything, and just putting a new story in there, but it will just have to be replaced again, and again, and again. Bill Nye The Science Guy also being the voice of science in there is another good thing, and things like that are what make it good, but it simply should not have gone on for this long. It's a lot better than Figment, but I would much rather Figment have his own new ride than The Universe of Energy. Just from the video of The original Figment ride it is just incredible. Imagine an Energy coaster narrated by Bill Nye the science guy, how cool would that be right? That is my dream, won't happen, but that's what this ride needs. I want to still love this ride like I did when I was younger, and I still in a way do, but only because I've grown so fond of this ride, but I and everyone just needs to let it go. It needs to change significantly.

It is hard for me to explain, because I really do love The Universe of Energy. The music, the dinos, and especially when the helicopter scene screen widens, not to mention I love Jeopardy, but I realize it needs to change. Whether just the films and aesthetic updates, or completly gutted. Either one of those is necessary as this ride currently is very dated. Guardians is not the best way to go, but it is better, nostalgia aside, than keeping Epcot's vision if the park is to remain in its current state. It's my opinion, yes, so please just let it be that just like everyone on here.

Last edited:

Clamman73

I would just like the Radok screens back, original dinosaur part as it was and a new quick 2 minute wrap-up film...or just settle for The Guardians of the Galaxy Energytastic Adventure...I guess. :cautious:

brb1006

I'll never forget being in junior high 30 years ago, and meeting some kid who had gotten back from WDW. I was so excited to talk to him about my favorite stuff at the time, Epcot Center. "Escot Center!" he said, "That was the stupidest most boring rollercoaster I've ever been on. Just slowly going in a circle up to the top, and then slowly backwards to the bottom. I hated Escot Center."

There were... just... SO many things wrong about everything he said. I flipped out at him. Which didn't help what meager popularity I had at the time.

Deep down, however, I did know he had a smidgen of a point. When I had gone to Epcot, I loved SSE, loved Imagination, Energy, Horizons (oh, HORIZONS!) but I had wished there had been a roller coaster somewhere in the mix. Not a crazy one, just your typical MK level of thrill and theme.
Did that kid even try to ride the original Journey Into Imagination attraction at all?

Matt_Black

Knowing it's going to alter the traditional visuals to the EPCOT entrance could they not have put this coaster concept in Imagination instead?

1445481387--batman_slap.jpg

RoysCabin

I was around 10 years old when the Ellen update came to UoE; it really was a product of its time, and having gone on since then, yeah, almost everybody can agree that it's one of the attractions more sorely in need of an update. That said, even the original UoE had some of its issues, but it at least made an earnest attempt to inspire and, oddly, the '82 script actually did more to talk up alternative energy sources than the mid-90s version did...really, the Ellen version comes off way too much like "Fossil Fuels Are Keen!"

I guess that's really the "fix" a lot of us are looking for in updates to EPCOT: the chance to feel inspired again, to look at real world issues and think "hey, there are solutions to these issues! This is just a theme park attraction so it won't have all the answer, but the possibilities exist, I've seen some of them here." I get the argument that "people don't want to think about green energy and global warming while they're on vacation", but man, again, WDW is huge, allocating some space for things like that won't drive the crowds to Universal. Update the theater ride to have Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye teaming up to discuss new energy sources, or switch to an Omnimover system that can keep the dinosaur diorama intact, there are plenty of options to do something incredible now that we live in an era where solar and wind power are becoming so much more viable than they were in '82 or in the mid 90s.

I'm with people who say that it'd be great to see a thematically appropriate roller coaster in EPCOT, specifically the original Mt. Fuji concept, but on the whole EPCOT doesn't need a roller coaster, either. It's a park that thrives best when it has a consistent theme to it, and great theming can make people forget things like coasters really quickly, especially in a park like EPCOT that if utilized to its full potential can have inspirational attractions alongside fun diversions like street performances, art and tech installations, and good food and drinks.

I guess it's all just very frustrating to think about. I'm genuinely happy and excited to hear that the entrance and fountain plazas in Future World are set to be made approachable and walkable again, I really am, and I can't wait to see them seem human again. But it's a case of one step forward, two steps back: reinvigorating the plazas is truly fantastic and praiseworthy, but missing the forest for the trees and adding a poorly themed coaster that alters EPCOT's skyline? Bad misstep if you want a park that's healthy in a more wholistic, overall sense.

Sidenote: I saw Kubo and the Two Strings yesterday, and man, if Disney needed an IP to shoehorn into World Showcase, I wish they'd make a movie more like that. Just a full-on celebration of a culture, where a ride about it would do a great job of highlighting the culture and not just the IP. Hopefully Moana and Coco hit similar notes, because an IP like Kubo, if Disney had made it, in Japan would not feel so intrusive.

GiveMeTheMusic

Wonder if all of Ellen Degeneras work for NBCUniversal is another reason to can the show?

Ellen's work has nothing to do with it. If anything, Disney owes Ellen. Ellen starred in Finding Dory for Disney this year, the highest grossing film domestically in 2016 so far, and the highest grossing animated film domestically of all time. Ellen's TV show is produced by Warner Bros Television.

She'll still be featured in an Epcot attraction on the other side of Future World.

aladdin2007

I was around 10 years old when the Ellen update came to UoE; it really was a product of its time, and having gone on since then, yeah, almost everybody can agree that it's one of the attractions more sorely in need of an update. That said, even the original UoE had some of its issues, but it at least made an earnest attempt to inspire and, oddly, the '82 script actually did more to talk up alternative energy sources than the mid-90s version did...really, the Ellen version comes off way too much like "Fossil Fuels Are Keen!"

I guess that's really the "fix" a lot of us are looking for in updates to EPCOT: the chance to feel inspired again, to look at real world issues and think "hey, there are solutions to these issues! This is just a theme park attraction so it won't have all the answer, but the possibilities exist, I've seen some of them here." I get the argument that "people don't want to think about green energy and global warming while they're on vacation", but man, again, WDW is huge, allocating some space for things like that won't drive the crowds to Universal. Update the theater ride to have Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye teaming up to discuss new energy sources, or switch to an Omnimover system that can keep the dinosaur diorama intact, there are plenty of options to do something incredible now that we live in an era where solar and wind power are becoming so much more viable than they were in '82 or in the mid 90s.

I'm with people who say that it'd be great to see a thematically appropriate roller coaster in EPCOT, specifically the original Mt. Fuji concept, but on the whole EPCOT doesn't need a roller coaster, either. It's a park that thrives best when it has a consistent theme to it, and great theming can make people forget things like coasters really quickly, especially in a park like EPCOT that if utilized to its full potential can have inspirational attractions alongside fun diversions like street performances, art and tech installations, and good food and drinks.

I guess it's all just very frustrating to think about. I'm genuinely happy and excited to hear that the entrance and fountain plazas in Future World are set to be made approachable and walkable again, I really am, and I can't wait to see them seem human again. But it's a case of one step forward, two steps back: reinvigorating the plazas is truly fantastic and praiseworthy, but missing the forest for the trees and adding a poorly themed coaster that alters EPCOT's skyline? Bad misstep if you want a park that's healthy in a more wholistic, overall sense.

Sidenote: I saw Kubo and the Two Strings yesterday, and man, if Disney needed an IP to shoehorn into World Showcase, I wish they'd make a movie more like that. Just a full-on celebration of a culture, where a ride about it would do a great job of highlighting the culture and not just the IP. Hopefully Moana and Coco hit similar notes, because an IP like Kubo, if Disney had made it, in Japan would not feel so intrusive.

I really want to see that, but some of the previews made it look silly while others were more interesting. I was impressed with the soundtrack.

ok so now were talking about a guardians roller coaster thrown on top of energy with no theme (aside from the guardians IP) or tie in to epcot? I thought it was going to be a family ride not a roller coaster, I either missed something or not keeping up well lol, probably the latter this week.

PizzaPlanet

I'll never forget being in junior high 30 years ago, and meeting some kid who had gotten back from WDW. I was so excited to talk to him about my favorite stuff at the time, Epcot Center. "Escot Center!" he said, "That was the stupidest most boring rollercoaster I've ever been on. Just slowly going in a circle up to the top, and then slowly backwards to the bottom. I hated Escot Center."

There were... just... SO many things wrong about everything he said. I flipped out at him. Which didn't help what meager popularity I had at the time.

Deep down, however, I did know he had a smidgen of a point. When I had gone to Epcot, I loved SSE, loved Imagination, Energy, Horizons (oh, HORIZONS!) but I had wished there had been a roller coaster somewhere in the mix. Not a crazy one, just your typical MK level of thrill and theme.
Plot twist- the kid is Bob Chapek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom