Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

It doesn't fit in Epcot.

If only there was somewhere in the MK. Say with wasted space. Temporary tents that could easily be removed....

I've seen this argument a lot but I don't agree. I mean, yes, Frozen would be a better fit in Fantasyland -- the actual Fantasyland, with it's medieval castle theming. They absolutely could and should find a way to expand FL proper to allow for more properties to be added there where they would belong.

But Storybook Circus actually works as a distinct environment. It's light on attractions and could user additional ones -- yes, as a replacement for the tents would be ideal -- but Frozen doesn't make sense there. And if the point is to separate Storybook Circus in half and make the tents a different enviroment, that actually makes the theming more choppy and disconnected, not better.

Matt_Black

1) It's a Hans Christian Andersen tale and so should be in Denmark, not Norway.

1) Saying Frozen is based on Hans Christian Andersen's story is a bit like saying the movie The Lawnmower Man is based on the Steven King story of the same name.

2) Aquavit originated in Denmark, and I don't see anyone complain about that being available in the Norway pavilion.

lazyboy97o

Fair enough. Even so, I never liked Imagination's Dreamcatcher either. ;)
I'm not a big fan of the Dreamcatcher either. It too falls into that same sort of problem where in order to look complicated and eccentric it just sort of has a lot of stuff on it. Instead of trying balance the look so that it has warmth and ensure that it's components convey purpose, more metal parts are thrown onto the object.

The Empress Lilly

I'm not a big fan of the Dreamcatcher either. It too falls into that same sort of problem where in order to look complicated and eccentric it just sort of has a lot of stuff on it. Instead of trying balance the look so that it has warmth and ensure that it's components convey purpose, more metal parts are thrown onto the object.
Indeed.

But I considered it the finest WDW example of the warm steampunk style you described. What would you then consider its best examples? Elements of DLP Discoveryland?

KikoKea

If the focus is supposed to be the physics and energy concepts, then what is the point of the characters? The whole point of the franchise mandate is to only invest in established franchises to keep them going.

The characters would add fun, interest for kids, humor, and act as a platform for learning just like Ellen and Bill does in the current UoE or Figment/Dreamfinder does in Imagination. When teaching my kids to type, I used a program that had cartoon characters and games for practice, and it worked very well. I see no reason why fun and education and characters cannot go together.

The Empress Lilly

The characters would add fun, interest for kids, humor, and act as a platform for learning just like Ellen and Bill does in the current UoE or Figment/Dreamfinder does in Imagination. When teaching my kids to type, I used a program that had cartoon characters and games for practice, and it worked very well. I see no reason why fun and education and characters cannot go together.
Classic EPCOT Center:
latest

Mike S

I've seen this argument a lot but I don't agree. I mean, yes, Frozen would be a better fit in Fantasyland -- the actual Fantasyland, with it's medieval castle theming. They absolutely could and should find a way to expand FL proper to allow for more properties to be added there where they would belong.

But Storybook Circus actually works as a distinct environment. It's light on attractions and could user additional ones -- yes, as a replacement for the tents would be ideal -- but Frozen doesn't make sense there. And if the point is to separate Storybook Circus in half and make the tents a different enviroment, that actually makes the theming more choppy and disconnected, not better.
How about no circus in MK, just like no cheap roadside carnival in DAK? By all means they could've applied the new look to Dumbo which is much better but I do think it was a waste to move and expand it. If they wanted more capacity so badly how about a second row on each elephant rather than wasting money on a second spinner? New Fantasyland, like Toy Story Land now, just screams of wasted opportunity and potential. It is pretty though which we can't really say for TSL based on the others around the world.

lazyboy97o

Indeed.

But I considered it the finest WDW example of the warm steampunk style you described. What would you then consider its best examples? Elements of DLP Discoveryland?
I would say Discovery Arcade is a great example. It's very optimistic and maintains its Victorian origins. What I think really has hurt Disney's execution is its (Baxter's) obsession with Captain Nemo. Nemo is a cold, bitter villain and therefore he shouldn't be the heart of the experience.

Its about intent. Disney's mandate is to push franchises. That shifts the origin and focus. The primary goal is to create an attraction with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Ellen's Energy Adventure is an example of this issue as it never really gets past what it seeks to disprove, that the subject is uninteresting. Figment and Dreamfinder were created to tell a specific story and that is why they are different than other, completely unrelated characters being grafted on to a lesson.

The Empress Lilly

I would say Discovery Arcade is a great example. It's very optimistic and maintains its Victorian origins. What I think really has hurt Disney's execution is its (Baxter's) obsession with Captain Nemo. Nemo is a cold, bitter villain and therefore he shouldn't be the heart of the experience.
Ah, yes, Discovery Arcade is great.

Ironically, personally I might just consider MK 20k and DLP Nautilus walkthrough the finest examples of steampunk(-ish) styles.

The coldness (torment, aloofness) of Nemo is beautifully executed in the Nautilus, without him being present himself. (Now there's a classic Disney touch that's a lost art. Task today's designers to design an attraction that 'captures and presents Nemo's spirit' and they would present you with a Nemo meet and greet. Virtually the direct opposite)

The Empress Lilly

Oh, absolutely. EPCOT was a showcase for American industry and not shy about it.

At least FW was. WS was much less an advertisement, even if it was, certainly pre-EPCOT Center, originally conceived to function as just that. You are still wrong about that. :p

Anyway, the UoE comic book was brought up to show characters were used to tell the story of Energy, although they were completely absent in the ride and the CommuniCore Energy Exchange exhibit (unless I forget any deployment there?)

Matt_Black

Oh, absolutely. EPCOT was a showcase for American industry and not shy about it.

At least FW was. WS was much less an advertisement, even if it was, certainly pre-EPCOT Center, originally conceived to function as just that. You are still wrong about that. :p

Anyway, the UoE comic book was brought up to show characters were used to tell the story of Energy, although they were completely absent in the ride and the CommuniCore Energy Exchange exhibit (unless I forget any deployment there?)

Ha! UoE features Fantasia characters!

PorterRedkey

I can't nail it yet. One version I'd say yes it did. Even had a secondary theatre attraction. The one I believe is leading removed the theatre for an extended Transformers-esq queue.
I like immersive queues, but at the expensive of an attraction? No thanks. Too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom