Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Ah, yes, Discovery Arcade is great.

Ironically, personally I might just consider MK 20k and DLP Nautilus walkthrough the finest examples of steampunk(-ish) styles.

The coldness (torment, aloofness) of Nemo is beautifully executed in the Nautilus, without him being present himself. (Now there's a classic Disney touch that's a lost art. Task today's designers to design an attraction that 'captures and presents Nemo's spirit' and they would present you with a Nemo meet and greet. Virtually the direct opposite)
Le Mystères du Nautilus is definitely a gem. The sort beautiful, interstitial attraction sorely missing throughout Central Florida and contemporary theme park design.

BrerJon

Le Mystères du Nautilus is definitely a gem. The sort beautiful, interstitial attraction sorely missing throughout Central Florida and contemporary theme park design.

It's probably my favourite example of Imagineering sleight of hand, in that they manage to get you to go down a long tunnel into a show building outside the berm, and yet no-one ever notices, and never do you feel you're going anywhere other than under the lake and into the Nautilus you saw outside. It's so cleverly done, and the detail and theming inside is wondrous.

Captain Neo

What now?

You're not confused with Theatre One are you?

The dinosaur vignettes featured in Primeval World/UOE are strikingly similar to the dinosaur segment of Fantasia complete with the inaccurate mixture of Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceus species living together and what appears to be a Tyrannosaurus (Maybe an Allosaur?) battling a Stegosaurus just like the iconic scene from the Disneyland Railroad/Universe of Energy.

ThemeParkJunkee

It's probably my favourite example of Imagineering sleight of hand, in that they manage to get you to go down a long tunnel into a show building outside the berm, and yet no-one ever notices, and never do you feel you're going anywhere other than under the lake and into the Nautilus you saw outside. It's so cleverly done, and the detail and theming inside is wondrous.

Now I have to go to this Disneyland. Before or after Tokyo?

KikoKea

.........Its about intent. Disney's mandate is to push franchises. That shifts the origin and focus. The primary goal is to create an attraction with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Ellen's Energy Adventure is an example of this issue as it never really gets past what it seeks to disprove, that the subject is uninteresting. Figment and Dreamfinder were created to tell a specific story and that is why they are different than other, completely unrelated characters being grafted on to a lesson.

I understand what you are saying about intent. My opinion is simply that characters can be used to amuse, entertain, and educate. What one person finds entertaining and worth their time and money may not be worthwhile to another. It's personal choice and no one makes us buy a ticket to the parks.

I have to disagree about Figment and Dreamfinder. To me, doesn't matter if they were an IP created for the attraction or not, they are there and it works. Well, it did until they stripped it of its soul. They are characters being used to educate, inspire, and amuse. And, they are marketed for evil profit (sarcasm) just like other franchises. Hope they sell well and are used in other ways such as movies, comics, etc.
Have a nice weekend.
:)

EPCOTCenterLover

Steampunk was hip for like two minutes in two-thousand-are-you-kidding-me. Or was that last century even? And even then it was overrated. It's a style that clashes with Disney, regardless of what Tony Baxter may think. It feels like the harsh, industrial, non-nostalgic relative of its cousin Victorian (and its US counterpart) style, which Disney always nails to perfection.
I'd say go to Paris. Discovery land may not be 100% steampunk style anymore- but it was and still is incredibly beautiful and a balanced mix of future and fantasy. Works great IMHO and Baxter was right: It could be done well.

Sean M Nies

Now if they can only give out a MARVEL GoTG Comic when you exited the attraction just like they use to..Glad I still have mine...
4563cdf0.jpg
And they both slept happily ever after

BrianLo

Now I have to go to this Disneyland. Before or after Tokyo?

@BrerJon already answered and I agree. If you are talking now - definitely Tokyo. 2017/2018 Paris will have finished its refurbs and will be celebrating the 25th, so might be worth delaying Tokyo for the 2020 Fantasyland revamp to come online at that point in time.

Again, all depends on if you are talking about planning a trip for two years in the future and a few years after that, or feasibly are hoping to do both within the next few years.

Of course, if the scenario was only doing one - Tokyo, a million times over. Well before Shanghai, Hong Kong or Paris.

andre85

I like the attraction, but oh wow do I disagree with this. It felt exactly like what it is--a disjointed trek into a Nautilus-themed warehouse.

Goofyernmost

I heard about that on the radio. It wasn't racist, it was a harmless joke. People are getting way too sensitive, smh.
Imagine that a joke coming from a comedian is a problem. If it comes from a political arena... well, it's just fine. The guys a kidder! If we keep up this stupidity and inability to know the difference between humor and bigotry, it's just a short walk to constant gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom