Crowds are down? Curious about the claims . . .

Padraig

Do you know that as of July 21 there are possibly 2 cases of locally transmitted Zika Virus in Miami-Dade and Broward? I don't think it's an issue for this summer, but limited transmission is to be expected over the next year; it may become an issue for families going to FL and keep them away. I don't know if hotels are giving out mosquito repellant over such concerns yet or not, but add it to the list of issues outside of the control of theme parks that could affect their business.

Just yesterday evening the Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs added Florida to the list of places to avoid owing to Zika. This is the first headline on the national broadcasters website now. While the percentage of Irish visitors is tiny, I'd expect other European countries to start issuing warnings in the next few days. Our D.F.A. tends to be fairly reserved and almost never acts alone when it comes to this type of guidance.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Just yesterday evening the Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs added Florida to the list of places to avoid owing to Zika. This is the first headline on the national broadcasters website now. While the percentage of Irish visitors is tiny, I'd expect other European countries to start issuing warnings in the next few days. Our D.F.A. tends to be fairly reserved and almost never acts alone when it comes to this type of guidance.

Good update! It's true that there are discrepancies re: risk among US vs EU warnings. EU/ECDC is usually on top of their biosurveillance given the high population density.

I also want to redirect the Zika chat since there is a dedicated thread for it now here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/zika-impact.916049/

cindy_k

Motley Fool's opinion on falling attendence.
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/07/31/5-reasons-disney-world-attendance-is-falling.aspx

There's a line in here about Disney dropping blackout for the rest of the summer, I can't find confirmed anywhere.
I think the author may have gotten confused:

"Limiting access to more of its pass holders during peak travel periods would naturally result in a downturn in attendance this summer. The industry is feeling the pinch. Disney and Comcast's (NASDAQ:CMCSA) Universal Orlando have recently lifted blackout restrictions for the balance of the summer. The damage has still been done this time around. "

GrumpyFan

The TL;DR version:
1. International tourism has taken a hit
2. Guests are paying an audacious 18% more
3. Annual passes became more restrictive
4. New rides are coming along too slowly

5. "Come back later" seems to be the motto at Disney World

What I find interesting about this, is that many of us have been saying this was coming for at least a few years now. Seems it's finally come true.

Last edited:

bugsbunny

Just came back from 9 days at Fort Wilderness. The prices at WDW are just out of control. I just have to stand in awe to the prices they charge for food and drinks. I have no idea how a middle class family of 4 could afford even ONE trip here in a lifetime.

A round of drinks for 4 adults is $50! Even with cooking breakfast each morning, its easy to spend a couple hundred a DAY on food and drinks for your family. Add in a couple of souvenirs and I spent over $2,000 in 8 days out of pocket for a family of 3. That does NOT include any signature restaurants nor did I eat table service each night. Then add in that I got a "bargain" by staying at FtW and only spending $3,000 for tickets and campsite :p

DHS is a shell of a park. Its embarrassing what is available for rides and entertainment now. AK is still a daytime park. After 5PM, the animals want to eat and lay down. They are trying way to hard to keep this park open to 11pm. Other than the river light thingy, what's to do there there you couldn't easily get done during the day? EPCOT? It's been reduced to a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides. Other than eating and drinking your way around the world at $100/person, it needs serious additions of things to do. MK is still going strong and boy was it nice to not be over run by Brazilians!! Still plenty of them, but nothing like past years.

I have about 50 trips to WDW over teh last 20 years, but this is it until at least Pandora opens AND Star Wars opens. But I'm sure by then a 7 day ticket will be $500. The whole place is becoming a boutique resort given the guaranteed ticket price increases, focus on $1000/night bungalows, Disney Springs, and way overpriced food.

What happened? I use to love this place.

Last edited:

21stamps

Why are so many people going in December????? Can some of you pass on the negativity and get them to stay home? Please!!! ;)

CaptainAmerica

Just came back from 9 days at Fort Wilderness. The prices at WDW are just out of control. I make 6 figure money but I just have to stand in awe to the prices they charge for food and drinks. I have no idea how a middle class family of 4 could afford even ONE trip here in a lifetime.
I go twice a year and make less money than you and I don't have a dime of debt besides my mortgage. So it's very doable.

A round of drinks for 4 adults is $50!
1. That's an exaggeration. Many "signature drinks" can be had for $9, so $36 for 4 adults. You exaggerated by 39%. A Bud Light is $6 for a pint at many locations, meaning $24 for four adults. In that case, you can buy two rounds for the price of one. Sure, it can be that expensive if you get the most expensive drink, but don't make it sound like the only way to get four drinks is to spend $50. Any drink that's averaging $12.50 per person is more than one "standard drink."

2. You can have an amazing time at WDW without spending a penny on alcohol.

3. Why are you buying rounds for everyone in your party? You're judging the price of your trip based on the cost of four adults, but most groups of four adults have more than one person funding the trip. Of course your hypothetical trip of four adults, all drinking alcohol, is more expensive than two parents and two kids when the four adults are spending crazy money on alcohol.

4. Have you ever been to Fenway Park, a movie theater, a bar in New York, or a resort in Vail? Next time you're at one of those places or somewhere similar and you get a round of four signature drinks for significantly less than $36, I'd love to see your receipt.

Even with cooking breakfast each morning, its easy to spend a couple hundred a DAY on food and drinks for your family.
Um, yeah? That's how vacation works and it's in no way unique to Walt Disney World. You could spend $100 on a single meal for a family of four at a freaking Chili's in your hometown. Multiply that by two or three meals per day and voila.

Add in a couple of souvenirs and I spent over $2,000 in 9 days out of pocket for a family of 3.
That sounds about right. Also, I love that you're blaming Disney for your lack of self control as if they FORCED you to buy souvenirs.

That does NOT include any signature restaurants nor did I eat table service each night. Then add in that I got a "bargain" by staying at FtW and only spending $3,000 for tickets and campsite :p
Again with the exaggerations. If you just got back, it was "regular season" at Fort Wilderness. A campsite with full hookups would have run you about $1,000 for the nine nights. Add in $1,375 at most for tickets and $125 for taxes you're at a total of $2,500. Certainly not chump change, but another 25% exaggeration. All of that assumes zero discounting.

DHS is a shell of a park. Its embarrassing what is available for rides and entertainment now.
On this, we agree. At least it's temporary.

AK is still a daytime park. After 5PM, the animals want to eat and lay down.
They're not the same animals. There are daytime animals and nighttime animals. Nice try though.

They are trying way to hard to keep this park open to 11pm.
They're not "trying hard" to do anything. It gets dark at a certain time in Florida in July and they have a nighttime show that can only be shown in the dark. If you have a problem on this one, it's with the tilt of the Earth's axis in relation to the sun. Not sure Mr. Iger can help you with that one. It's no secret that Avatar is on deck and will fill out the park experience, but it's asinine to complain that they extended the park hours before Avatar's opening. Nobody is forcing you to stay the whole night if you're ready to go at 5:00, but it's still a plus to have the option.

Other than the river light thingy, what's to do there there you couldn't easily get done during the day?
Are you honestly complaining that Disney added a new experience? Other than *INSERT NIGHT SHOW HERE*, what's there to do at Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Islands of Adventure, Six Flags Great Escape, Dollywood, or Sea World that you couldn't easily get done during the day?

See, most of us don't go to theme parks with the mentality of "git 'r done!" Yes, you can check the boxes off of a to-do list at Animal Kingdom in the daytime alone, but if you take your time and experience the park, you can easily fill a full day or two and be very satisfied at the end of it.

EPCOT? It's been reduced to a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides. Other than eating and drinking your way around the world at $100/person, it needs serious additions of things to do.
You lose all credibility when you say ignorant things like "Epcot," (not "EPCOT," it's never been "EPCOT,") "is a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides." You have a legitimate point that Future World in particular needs additions but your point is lost in your ridiculous hyperbole.

MK is still going strong and boy was it nice to not be over run by Brazilians!! Still plenty of them, but nothing like past years.
Check your xenophobia, bro.

I have about 50 trips to WDW over teh last 20 years, but this is it until at least Pandora opens AND Star Wars opens. But I'm sure by then a 7 day ticket will be $500. The whole place is becoming a boutique resort given the guaranteed ticket price increases, focus on $1000/night bungalows, Disney Springs, and way overpriced food.

Perfect. I'll enjoy myself without your terrible attitude soiling the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just came back from 9 days at Fort Wilderness. The prices at WDW are just out of control. I just have to stand in awe to the prices they charge for food and drinks. I have no idea how a middle class family of 4 could afford even ONE trip here in a lifetime.

A round of drinks for 4 adults is $50! Even with cooking breakfast each morning, its easy to spend a couple hundred a DAY on food and drinks for your family. Add in a couple of souvenirs and I spent over $2,000 in 8 days out of pocket for a family of 3. That does NOT include any signature restaurants nor did I eat table service each night. Then add in that I got a "bargain" by staying at FtW and only spending $3,000 for tickets and campsite :p

DHS is a shell of a park. Its embarrassing what is available for rides and entertainment now. AK is still a daytime park. After 5PM, the animals want to eat and lay down. They are trying way to hard to keep this park open to 11pm. Other than the river light thingy, what's to do there there you couldn't easily get done during the day? EPCOT? It's been reduced to a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides. Other than eating and drinking your way around the world at $100/person, it needs serious additions of things to do. MK is still going strong and boy was it nice to not be over run by Brazilians!! Still plenty of them, but nothing like past years.

Too bad you are surprised. This is entertainment. Have you been to a concert recently? For 2 hours of entertainment with a good band you are paying $200 for a pair of tickets, $100 on food and drink, $25 for parking, and $45 for a band t-shirt. That's roughly $370 for 2 hours depending on your spending habits.

Disney has always been a luxury, and should be treated like one. If you honestly have been to WDW 50 times in 20 years, how can you possibly be surprised at what the prices are? I don't like when prices increase but that is really the only way things go these days anywhere, up....

bugsbunny

You have WAY too much time on your hands. I'm kind of disappointed you didn't make a spreadsheet or powerpoint. Regardless, I exaggerated nothing. Should I show you my statements and reservation charges to satisfy you? Probably not.

Your fanboi defense is actually breath taking. I'm sorry I soiled your fantasy land. Enjoy it your own way, but WDW is an overpriced shadow of its former self. I know you won't miss me and that's a harder pill to swallow :) I'm moving on.

DisneyDoug85

They're not "trying hard" to do anything. It gets dark at a certain time in Florida in July and they have a nighttime show that can only be shown in the dark. If you have a problem on this one, it's with the tilt of the Earth's axis in relation to the sun. Not sure Mr. Iger can help you with that one. It's no secret that Avatar is on deck and will fill out the park experience, but it's asinine to complain that they extended the park hours before Avatar's opening. Nobody is forcing you to stay the whole night if you're ready to go at 5:00, but it's still a plus to have the option.

hahahaha!

CaptainAmerica

Your fanboi defense is actually breath taking. I'm sorry I soiled your fantasy land. Enjoy it your own way, but WDW is an overpriced shadow of its former self. I know you won't miss me and that's a harder pill to swallow :) I'm moving on.
Haha congratulations on combining my two favorite Disney forum insults into one short paragraph.

How dare I be a fan of Walt Disney World on this Walt Disney World fan site! What a silly thing for me to assume that a site called "WDW Magic" is a place to express positive opinions and share positive experiences about Walt Disney World.

And yes, I'm ignorant and naive for thinking of Walt Disney World as a "fantasy land." It's not like the resort's signature section of its signature park is called "Fantasyland" or something.

Aqueeta

CaptainAmerica, you need to change your forum name to CaptainKool-Aid. Anyone with any sense knows that Disney has become overhyped, overrated and overpriced and I look forward to Zika bringing things back down to normal

Biff215

I go twice a year and make less money than you and I don't have a dime of debt besides my mortgage. So it's very doable.

1. That's an exaggeration. Many "signature drinks" can be had for $9, so $36 for 4 adults. You exaggerated by 39%. A Bud Light is $6 for a pint at many locations, meaning $24 for four adults. In that case, you can buy two rounds for the price of one. Sure, it can be that expensive if you get the most expensive drink, but don't make it sound like the only way to get four drinks is to spend $50. Any drink that's averaging $12.50 per person is more than one "standard drink."

2. You can have an amazing time at WDW without spending a penny on alcohol.

3. Why are you buying rounds for everyone in your party? You're judging the price of your trip based on the cost of four adults, but most groups of four adults have more than one person funding the trip. Of course your hypothetical trip of four adults, all drinking alcohol, is more expensive than two parents and two kids when the four adults are spending crazy money on alcohol.

4. Have you ever been to Fenway Park, a movie theater, a bar in New York, or a resort in Vail? Next time you're at one of those places or somewhere similar and you get a round of four signature drinks for significantly less than $36, I'd love to see your receipt.

Um, yeah? That's how vacation works and it's in no way unique to Walt Disney World. You could spend $100 on a single meal for a family of four at a freaking Chili's in your hometown. Multiply that by two or three meals per day and voila.

That sounds about right. Also, I love that you're blaming Disney for your lack of self control as if they FORCED you to buy souvenirs.

Again with the exaggerations. If you just got back, it was "regular season" at Fort Wilderness. A campsite with full hookups would have run you about $1,000 for the nine nights. Add in $1,375 at most for tickets and $125 for taxes you're at a total of $2,500. Certainly not chump change, but another 25% exaggeration. All of that assumes zero discounting.

On this, we agree. At least it's temporary.

They're not the same animals. There are daytime animals and nighttime animals. Nice try though.

Are you honestly complaining that Disney added a new experience? Other than *INSERT NIGHT SHOW HERE*, what's there to do at Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Islands of Adventure, Six Flags Great Escape, Dollywood, or Sea World that you couldn't easily get done during the day?

See, most of us don't go to theme parks with the mentality of "git 'r done!" Yes, you can check the boxes off of a to-do list at Animal Kingdom in the daytime alone, but if you take your time and experience the park, you can easily fill a full day or two and be very satisfied at the end of it.

You lose all credibility when you say ignorant things like "Epcot," not "EPCOT" it's never been "EPCOT," "is a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides." You have a legitimate point that Future World in particular needs additions but your point is lost in your ridiculous hyperbole.

Check your xenophobia, bro.

Perfect. I'll enjoy myself without your terrible attitude soiling the atmosphere.
There might be some exaggeration, but I just returned home on Saturday after 10 days in WDW and found similar increases. We are DVC and AP holders, so I'll put those costs aside. We always charge everything to the room, so it's easy for me to compare. We eat table service meals for dinner and half our breakfasts using TiW, and the rest are quick service. Our kids buy most of their souvenirs using their own gift cards, and we only ordered one alcoholic drink the whole trip.

We charged $2,500 to the room this time, which was about half that just a few years ago. Sure my kids may eat a little more now and prices inevitably will rise, but that's a big increase. It's even $500-$750 higher than our summer trips the past two years.

Chili's is our kids' favorite here at home, but it's typically around $50 for our family of four. I certainly expect to pay more while in WDW, but it's getting out of hand IMO.

Edited to add...we had great meals, service, and trip overall. We love going twice a year and are fortunate to make good money, but Disney is starting to make us rethink our options.

Last edited:

DisneyDoug85

"Drinks are 12.50 a piece?!?!?, darn you Disney World!!! Ill take 4 please....(consumes drinks), the total is 50 bucks for 4 drinks?!?!?! Ridiculous!!!"

DisneyFans4Life

It never ceases to amaze me how people are somehow surprised by the prices that theme parks charge. I'm not referring only to WDW, but any theme park across the country; heck...even state fairs charge higher amounts.

WDW is a vacation destination and should be treated as such, meaning when on vacation you should expect to spend more money and pay higher amounts. If I want to go to the USF vs. FSU football game in late September...I'm looking at spending $90 for nosebleed seats. So I'm confused as to why WDW gets picked on for the prices they charge.

I spent $15 on a silly plastic Dinglehopper toy for my daughter on Saturday; it probably cost about $0.25 to make, but Disney charged me $15. I'm not complaining and I happily bought it, but that was my choice.

If you don't like the prices being charged, no one is forcing you to go and if you do go, no one is forcing you to spend extra money.

21stamps

"Drinks are 12.50 a piece?!?!?, darn you Disney World!!! Ill take 4 please....(consumes drinks), the total is 50 bucks for 4 drinks?!?!?! Ridiculous!!!"
That's actually kind of a good "deal" compared to most restaurants/bars/nightclubs/sporting events/concerts/etc
It never ceases to amaze me how people are somehow surprised by the prices that theme parks charge. I'm not referring only to WDW, but any theme park across the country; heck...even state fairs charge higher amounts.

WDW is a vacation destination and should be treated as such, meaning when on vacation you should expect to spend more money and pay higher amounts. If I want to go to the USF vs. FSU football game in late September...I'm looking at spending $90 for nosebleed seats. So I'm confused as to why WDW gets picked on for the prices they charge.

I spent $15 on a silly plastic Dinglehopper toy for my daughter on Saturday; it probably cost about $0.25 to make, but Disney charged me $15. I'm not complaining and I happily bought it, but that was my choice.

If you don't like the prices being charged, no one is forcing you to go and if you do go, no one is forcing you to spend extra money.
Right.

TIP- if you're going to a sporting event, concert, theme park, tourist destination... Expect to pay more for something, that way you won't be frustrated or disappointed :)
It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I'm not at all saying that I enjoy paying high prices, but we know what we're getting into when decide to go to certain places. So no reason to be angry about it after the fact :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom