Crowds are down? Curious about the claims . . .

Debbie

You are kidding, aren't you? We've been AP holders forever, and we actually paid less this year. Granted, there are a few blackout dates, but we never go during those times anyways, so it was a nice bonus. You really need to research a bit before posting such nonsense.

Treat the park with respect? Are you nuts?? The TOURISTS are the ones that trash the park. We pick up trash that people are throwing on the ground because we actually care what the park looks like. You would not believe how many times we see people just drop trash on the ground only a few feet from a trash can.

Do you honestly believe that ticket prices are going down???? What the heck are you smoking??? Companies do NOT lower prices after raising them. Get real.
Maybe not lower the price but I did catch a buy 3day get one free at WDW in 1985 :) they must have really been hurting that year. I can recall thinking to myself that the particular days I was there; they were losing money. It was that slow
I am also a little surprised hearing about lower crowd levels since the price of gas is still low. Maybe people are stay-cationing this year or going elsewhere?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yet universal just lifted blackout dates on their lowest tier of AP so there is definitely a generalized Orlando area problem developing.

http://www.wesh.com/orlandomyway/or...ts-blackout-dates-for-rest-of-summer/40874016

As to the larger megatrend I guess corporate america has now cowed US workers into not taking vacations at all any longer especially as companies move to a PTO model instead of sick/vacation time model so 'sick' time now uses days formerly reserved for vacation.

http://www.projecttimeoff.com/resources/infographics/overwhelmed-america-infographic

mikenatcity1

I know a few people who decided to go to Universal instead of Disney this year. Their reasoning was that two of the parks are under construction and felt it was a bad time to go.

This is actually the reason why I've halted going until next year, possibly 2018...while MK is finished compared to the mess a couple years ago, 2 other parks are in transition...when at least AK is done, i'll be uber excited to return (going from 3-6 times a year with an AP to missing 2-3 years is killing me)

Disneyhead'71

Yet universal just lifted blackout dates on their lowest tier of AP so there is definitely a generalized Orlando area problem developing.

http://www.wesh.com/orlandomyway/or...ts-blackout-dates-for-rest-of-summer/40874016

As to the larger megatrend I guess corporate america has now cowed US workers into not taking vacations at all any longer especially as companies move to a PTO model instead of sick/vacation time model so 'sick' time now uses days formerly reserved for vacation.

http://www.projecttimeoff.com/resources/infographics/overwhelmed-america-infographic
Actually, Universal has dropped the Black Out dates every year except 2010, they year Potter 1.0 opened. It is a case of prepare for the worst, correct as you go.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

I wish I had PTO time, are you kidding me? As it stands today I get 10 days vacation and fixed amount of sick days (which CAN"T be used for vacation) I have not used 1 sick day in my 3 years here, so for a person like me, if they were to say here is 20 PTO days use them as you please, that would be amazing. I would have doubled me vacation days.

seabreezept813

I was more interested in whether it was peculiar to WDW, or to theme parks as a whole.

I was also wondering if it has anything to do with recent shootings where large crowds have gathered. Or Zika. Or alligators. Or maybe the perfect storm with a combination of all of them.

I would rule out zika. My husband and I wanted to do a caribbean trip this summer but were told to stick to Florida by my doctors because we hope to start a family in the next few years. So while we would have gone to Mexico or an island, we ended up in Fort Lauderdale. We ruled Disney out right away because of the cost. We can only afford it after a few years of me saving my coaching money.

G8rchamps

We live 1:45 away and went 16 times last year. Price increase and construction are the reason we did not renew. Will wait a year or so. (although its killing me).

DisneyFans4Life

I wish I had PTO time, are you kidding me? As it stands today I get 10 days vacation and fixed amount of sick days (which CAN"T be used for vacation) I have not used 1 sick day in my 3 years here, so for a person like me, if they were to say here is 20 PTO days use them as you please, that would be amazing. I would have doubled me vacation days.
That's how my company is. They give you 6 paid holidays and then, depending on how long you've worked, PTO days to use as you wish (sick, vacation, etc.). They start you off with 17 PTO days and then once you reach 5 years they bump you up to 22 PTO days. Fortunately I've been here for more than 5 years so I get to enjoy 22 PTO days in addition to 6 paid holidays.

Once I reach 10 years I'll be up to 27 PTO days. It's a great perk to have and really makes you think about accepting offers at other companies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That's how my company is. They give you 6 paid holidays and then, depending on how long you've worked, PTO days to use as you wish (sick, vacation, etc.). They start you off with 17 PTO days and then once you reach 5 years they bump you up to 22 PTO days. Fortunately I've been here for more than 5 years so I get to enjoy 22 PTO days in addition to 6 paid holidays.

Once I reach 10 years I'll be up to 27 PTO days. It's a great perk to have and really makes you think about accepting offers at other companies.
I can only dream of that haha Once i hit 5 yrs I get an extra 5 days, but that is still sub-par in my mind.

SorcererMC

I would rule out zika. My husband and I wanted to do a caribbean trip this summer but were told to stick to Florida by my doctors because we hope to start a family in the next few years. So while we would have gone to Mexico or an island, we ended up in Fort Lauderdale. We ruled Disney out right away because of the cost. We can only afford it after a few years of me saving my coaching money.

Do you know that as of July 21 there are possibly 2 cases of locally transmitted Zika Virus in Miami-Dade and Broward? I don't think it's an issue for this summer, but limited transmission is to be expected over the next year; it may become an issue for families going to FL and keep them away. I don't know if hotels are giving out mosquito repellant over such concerns yet or not, but add it to the list of issues outside of the control of theme parks that could affect their business.

WildcatDen

OK. True that many companies now use PTO to capture Sick, Vacation, and even personal days, but you fail to mention, in your finger pointing, that most companies increase your accrual rate so that you are 'earning' those extra sick days. When my company went to the PTO system, I went from basically 15 days of time off "vacation" to 20. That being said, we really did not have a sick day limit, so there is that. . .

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK. True that many companies now use PTO to capture Sick, Vacation, and even personal days, but you fail to mention, in your finger pointing, that most companies increase your accrual rate so that you are 'earning' those extra sick days. When my company went to the PTO system, I went from basically 15 days of time off "vacation" to 20. That being said, we really did not have a sick day limit, so there is that. . .

I think you are extremely fortunate in that as most employers around here (Greater Boston) went from 2 weeks vacation and 2 weeks sick time to 10-15 days of PTO total with most clustered around the low end with accrual rates remaining the same.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you know that as of July 21 there are possibly 2 cases of locally transmitted Zika Virus in Miami-Dade and Broward? I don't think it's an issue for this summer, but limited transmission is to be expected over the next year; it may become an issue for families going to FL and keep them away. I don't know if hotels are giving out mosquito repellant over such concerns yet or not, but add it to the list of issues outside of the control of theme parks that could affect their business.

DEET is your friend. Just don't let your MB touch it as DEET will attack it (as it does for most plastics)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You are extremely fortunate to have a PTO benefit that generous, That's not the norm in the US.

SorcererMC

DEET is your friend. Just don't let your MB touch it as DEET will attack it (as it does for most plastics)

After posting I started thinking more about WDW's mosquito control efforts...b/c mosquitoes don't seem to be in the parks so much. I was thinking of theme parks as 'an outside activity', located near water (in a recent NY Times FL Keys travel review, the writer said that other travelers didn't know about the mosquito swarms that come out at dusk. Really!). I guess my point is that the original poster was probably wise to consult their doctor re: travel locations, and I'm wondering how Orlando/WDW will be affected going forward (as an Aedes aegypti area) - maybe it hasn't been an issue as of yet, but I think it will be. Pregnant women are being advised to cover up or stay indoors.

ETA: And while the doctor in the above example (by @seabreezept813 ) said FL was ok at the time, that advice is likely to change as the Zika epidemiology changes...and the theme parks have no control over what the CDC, FL Dept of Health, or individual doctors might advise.

Last edited:

BiffyClyro

Just got back and they are noticeably down. It's nice actually. It's not like a ghost town, yet it's not the hideous overcrowded, frustrating mess that it can be in Summer. Also, getting back from MK was no problem and we never had to wait for very long and that was when just the ferry was in operation. Never waited for a cart back to the parking lot either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom