Crowds are down? Curious about the claims . . .

Tony the Tigger

I don't want to get into an argument, but to me and I'm sure others, this is the very definition of cumbersome. Just curious because I'm not one so it's a real question, how many annual passholders know 180 days out the exact day they're going to Disney? And is it difficult to make ADR's thanks to the 180+10 crowds?

And I'm glad, truly, that the system has worked flawlessly for you so far. Because then you don't know the burden of standing for an hour in the queue at Guest Relations outside Magic Kingdom when your magic band suddenly doesn't work, then having to reschedule your first fastpass because you've missed the window (in fairness, they did give us a magic(?) FP for the attraction to use any time that day). Or arriving back at your room at 11 PM dog tired, only to not be able to enter the room because the band doesn't work. Or walking up to a snack vendor to buys some popsicles, and your dining plan information not working on the band (here's an example where CM attitude worked in our favor, when the band wouldn't scan correctly, the girl rolled her eyes, and said "here", giving me 4 popsicles for free). I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but so is yours.

As a DVC member, does it bother you that in order to enjoy the full fruits of your membership, you have to know 1 year in advance exactly when you will go and start planning then? My family has a membership at Moon Palace in Cancun, and we can plan a few months in advance and book excursions and activities when we get there. I know it's apples and oranges between the 2 places, but if you're paying for a premium experience it should come with minimal effort, IMO.

As an AP (every other year, typically) we generally don't even plan our trips more than a couple of months out, and sometimes just a few days out. We've never made an ADR anywhere near 180 days in advance. But since we typically go a few times a year and have no kids, we are realistic about what we are going to do, and don't have to do everything every time. I can't think of a time there was something we wanted to do badly and couldn't. The closest we ever came to that was maybe a few months after 7DMT opened, and we don't stand in long lines, so it wasn't going to happen without a FP. Every morning and evening of our few-day trip, I checked for FP availability, and on the morning of our last day, we got one. If we hadn't, it wouldn't have been a big deal, we'd just do it next time.

I have posted several trip reports, one in which I believe I specifically stated we were going with barely anything pre-planned, and had a great time - because it is what you make it. If you want to be complainy about things, you will. If you want to make the best of things, you will. If you can't get a last minute reservation at whatever restaurant, you just pick a different one. I've made lunch reservations at Rose & Crown while on the FP line at Test Track 20 minutes prior. I've walked up to BOG without a res twice for dinner and been seated in minutes. Depending on how you look at things, you can be pleasantly surprised by a lot of "bonuses" rather than disappointed about specific things you couldn't do.

And often just asking nicely will help. "I know there's a cancellation fee if we miss our dinner reservation, but is there any way you can switch it from Sci-Fi to Flying Fish?" Sure. Wonderful!

There are no res available on the app for Rose & Crown, but we're standing right outside it, let's just go up to the podium and take a shot. 10 minute wait? Fabulous. Bangers & Mash, please.

It doesn't have to be cumbersome is my point. And for kids of a certain age (not babies) it's a great time to teach them they can't always get what they want, and to look at the bright side of things. Although with the way some parents act, I don't know who is available to teach the kids those lessons.

Perspective!

21stamps

From what I've managed to read, not always. It's definite that they aren't rising, but some say certain parks in certain days are as crowded as always, others that attendance is down
They aren't rising? Are we talking summer only, or for the year?
Everyone I know, including one who is there now, has reported 8-9 crowd level days. My December week jumped from 2,3,4s, to 7-8-9s..I'm totally freaking out about it, find it very difficult to believe that crowds could be so high during a school week in between 2 major holiday breaks, and I'm just HOPING that the predictions are wrong!!!!

DisneyFans4Life

I don't want to get into an argument, but to me and I'm sure others, this is the very definition of cumbersome. Just curious because I'm not one so it's a real question, how many annual passholders know 180 days out the exact day they're going to Disney? And is it difficult to make ADR's thanks to the 180+10 crowds?

And I'm glad, truly, that the system has worked flawlessly for you so far. Because then you don't know the burden of standing for an hour in the queue at Guest Relations outside Magic Kingdom when your magic band suddenly doesn't work, then having to reschedule your first fastpass because you've missed the window (in fairness, they did give us a magic(?) FP for the attraction to use any time that day). Or arriving back at your room at 11 PM dog tired, only to not be able to enter the room because the band doesn't work. Or walking up to a snack vendor to buys some popsicles, and your dining plan information not working on the band (here's an example where CM attitude worked in our favor, when the band wouldn't scan correctly, the girl rolled her eyes, and said "here", giving me 4 popsicles for free). I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but so is yours.

As a DVC member, does it bother you that in order to enjoy the full fruits of your membership, you have to know 1 year in advance exactly when you will go and start planning then? My family has a membership at Moon Palace in Cancun, and we can plan a few months in advance and book excursions and activities when we get there. I know it's apples and oranges between the 2 places, but if you're paying for a premium experience it should come with minimal effort, IMO.
To me this isn't cumbersome at all...but that's a subjective topic. I have already booked and paid in full for 8 nights in March 2017...far more than 6 months out. I'm not coming from out of state or overseas, in fact, I only live an hour away and an annual passholder. I can't book any ADRs yet, but believe me once I'm able to, I'm going to start booking them. We know which restaurants we like to eat at and which ones we will pass. Do I know today that I'll want Cinderella's Royal Table on March 25, 2017? No...but does it really matter? Of course not. If I don't want the reservation I can always cancel it. People look at having to book ADRs far in advance as an inconvenience, but it should be fun and exciting and add to the anticipation of the upcoming vacation. By the way, there are only a handful of restaurants that truly require an ADR that far out. There are many restaurants where you can book a reservation same day. I also don't buy the complaints that because we're able to book early takes up spots for others who aren't able to book as early; to that I say oh well. I've booked a hotel room and made a commitment by either paying in full or making a deposit, so I should be able to book things earlier than someone who doesn't have a room reservation.

Disneyhead'71

That's actually kind of a good "deal" compared to most restaurants/bars/nightclubs/sporting events/concerts/etc

Right.

TIP- if you're going to a sporting event, concert, theme park, tourist destination... Expect to pay more for something, that way you won't be frustrated or disappointed :)
It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I'm not at all saying that I enjoy paying high prices, but we know what we're getting into when decide to go to certain places. So no reason to be angry about it after the fact :)
Everyone compares a week at Disney to 3-4 hours at a sports/concert venue. Sports/Concert venues can get away with charging $72 for a hot dog because you are only there 4 hours tops. You can choose to partake, or wait until later when you leave the stadium/arena to eat. 4 hours captive audience is much different than 216 hours (9 days) captive audience. Oh sure, Disney can charge $72 for a hot dog. And I can take it of leave it.

Cheers!
image.jpg

Disneyhead'71

To me this isn't cumbersome at all...but that's a subjective topic. I have already booked and paid in full for 8 nights in March 2017...far more than 6 months out. I'm not coming from out of state or overseas, in fact, I only live an hour away and an annual passholder. I can't book any ADRs yet, but believe me once I'm able to, I'm going to start booking them. We know which restaurants we like to eat at and which ones we will pass. Do I know today that I'll want Cinderella's Royal Table on March 25, 2017? No...but does it really matter? Of course not. If I don't want the reservation I can always cancel it. People look at having to book ADRs far in advance as an inconvenience, but it should be fun and exciting and add to the anticipation of the upcoming vacation. By the way, there are only a handful of restaurants that truly require an ADR that far out. There are many restaurants where you can book a reservation same day. I also don't buy the complaints that because we're able to book early takes up spots for others who aren't able to book as early; to that I say oh well. I've booked a hotel room and made a commitment by either paying in full or making a deposit, so I should be able to book things earlier than someone who doesn't have a room reservation.
But you do realize that you are "into it!". Most people don't consider wallowing in their passion cumbersome. Most normal people think planning out a Disney vacation is akin to being forced to needlepoint a throw pillow cover in the tedium category. you guys and your perspective often is SMH inducing.

Cletus

Everyone compares a week at Disney to 3-4 hours at a sports/concert venue. Sports/Concert venues can get away with charging $72 for a hot dog because you are only there 4 hours tops. You can choose to partake, or wait until later when you leave the stadium/arena to eat. 4 hours captive audience is much different than 216 hours (9 days) captive audience. Oh sure, Disney can charge $72 for a hot dog. And I can take it of leave it.

Cheers!
image.jpg

I want to be hanging out with you where you're at right now, Dave!

Disneyhead'71

Everyone I know, including one who is there now, has reported 8-9 crowd level days. My December week jumped from 2,3,4s, to 7-8-9s..I'm totally freaking out about it, find it very difficult to believe that crowds could be so high during a school week in between 2 major holiday breaks, and I'm just HOPING that the predictions are wrong!!!!
Have you even noticed the people around you often telling you not to freak out?

You seem a titch edgy.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Just came back from 9 days at Fort Wilderness. The prices at WDW are just out of control. I just have to stand in awe to the prices they charge for food and drinks. I have no idea how a middle class family of 4 could afford even ONE trip here in a lifetime.

A round of drinks for 4 adults is $50! Even with cooking breakfast each morning, its easy to spend a couple hundred a DAY on food and drinks for your family. Add in a couple of souvenirs and I spent over $2,000 in 8 days out of pocket for a family of 3. That does NOT include any signature restaurants nor did I eat table service each night. Then add in that I got a "bargain" by staying at FtW and only spending $3,000 for tickets and campsite :p

DHS is a shell of a park. Its embarrassing what is available for rides and entertainment now. AK is still a daytime park. After 5PM, the animals want to eat and lay down. They are trying way to hard to keep this park open to 11pm. Other than the river light thingy, what's to do there there you couldn't easily get done during the day? EPCOT? It's been reduced to a mall around a lake with 2 or 3 rides. Other than eating and drinking your way around the world at $100/person, it needs serious additions of things to do. MK is still going strong and boy was it nice to not be over run by Brazilians!! Still plenty of them, but nothing like past years.

I have about 50 trips to WDW over teh last 20 years, but this is it until at least Pandora opens AND Star Wars opens. But I'm sure by then a 7 day ticket will be $500. The whole place is becoming a boutique resort given the guaranteed ticket price increases, focus on $1000/night bungalows, Disney Springs, and way overpriced food.

What happened? I use to love this place.

All personal opinion - I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

I HAD to like the above statement - as I believe it illustrates a practical reality TODAY.

WDW has managed to become a one park attraction : Magic Kingdom.

We could argue as to HOW this occurred, over the years.... it still occurred. Yes, there are many promises - they don't exist TODAY. The net effect? TODAY everyone goes to the MK. The other parks? ehhhhh not so much.

I feel a bit sorry for WDW - circumstances have placed them VERY MUCH where they were at opening, in 1971. Better infrastructure - but only ONE REAL PARK. Personally? I believe they get this.... lots of potential, but TODAY? "One Real Park".

It's being reflected in the crowd distribution..... People that do their homework can be VERY bright :).

Again - All personal opinion - I'm not right, you aren't wrong....

TeriofTerror

I go twice a year and make less money than you and I don't have a dime of debt besides my mortgage. So it's very doable.

1. That's an exaggeration. Many "signature drinks" can be had for $9, so $36 for 4 adults. You exaggerated by 39%. A Bud Light is $6 for a pint at many locations, meaning $24 for four adults. In that case, you can buy two rounds for the price of one. Sure, it can be that expensive if you get the most expensive drink, but don't make it sound like the only way to get four drinks is to spend $50. Any drink that's averaging $12.50 per person is more than one "standard drink."

2. You can have an amazing time at WDW without spending a penny on alcohol.

3. Why are you buying rounds for everyone in your party?
If you actually drink Bud Light, I really don't think you and I can have a conversation on this issue. ;) (Seriously. I'll turn that swill down before I waste the calories on it, even if it's free.)
Every drink I like seems to be at least $12. And let's not forget tax and tip!

Last edited:

21stamps

Have you even noticed the people around you often telling you not to freak out?

You seem a titch edgy.
I am very close to the edge right now..lol That would fall under the "I'm totally freaking out.." part.
I hate huge crowds. I'm taking my kid out of school for 9 days to avoid huge crowds.

Somehow though, I completely made the wrong decision, but appeared to be the correct decision when I made it, now come to find out that I ended up in a Huge crowd week.
After finding out that news-- I started looking at rearranging my whole vacation and all of my carefully made plans, ADRs etc..staying up looking at universal resorts last night, decided to split WDW/Universal, decided where to stay.. Only to find out that I can't modify my reservation at the Contemporary and will lose my room completely if tried to cut back to 3 nights only.
So yeah, freaking out. Completely.

Last edited:

21stamps

Interestingly, Universal crowds on my WDW week are 3/10 and 4/10 compared to Disney's 7/10 and 8/10s.

I don't get it. Have the parks ever been that much of a crowd difference?

HauntedMansionFLA

I am very close to the edge right now..lol That would fall under the "I'm totally freaking out.." part.
I hate huge crowds. I'm taking my kid out of school for 9 days to avoid huge crowds.

Somehow though, I completely made the wrong decision, but appeared to be the correct decision when I made it, now come to find out that I ended up in a Huge crowd week.
After finding out that news-- I started looking at rearranging my whole vacation and all of my carefully made plans, ADRs etc..staying up looking at universal resorts last night, decided to split WDW/Universal, decided where to stay.. Only to find out that I can't modify my reservation at the Contemporary and will lose my room completely if tried to cut back to 3 nights only.
So yeah, freaking out. Completely.
I guess there are parents like you taking their children out of school between two major holidays?

HauntedMansionFLA

21stamps

I guess there are parents like you taking their children out of school between two major holidays?
It must be...it's just so surprising. Thanksgiving week is all 9s and 10s, so people are still choosing to go that week as well. So a full 3 weeks of high crowds a month before Christmas? I thought that a lot of public schools didn't even allow it, same with England schools.

I took my kid out 9 days last year as well. There was more than I expected, but our crowd levels came in at 5s and 6s. Overall resort level- 5,3,4

HauntedMansionFLA

It must be...it's just so surprising. Thanksgiving week is all 9s and 10s, so people are still choosing to go that week as well. So a full 3 weeks of high crowds a month before Christmas? I thought that a lot of public schools didn't even allow it, same with England schools.

I took my kid out 9 days last year as well. There was more than I expected, but our crowd levels came in at 5s and 6s. Overall resort level- 5,3,4
That's why the United States Education system is failing.

21stamps

No, it's failing because of the parents. Because some expect a teacher to be their child's only source of "learning".

My child goes to a private school and they are great about vacations, I would say the majority miss at least a full week, some 2, sometime during the year. I am heavily involved in his school work though, even on vacation we are always "learning". Travel is of huge importance to me, and I want to instill that in my child as well. WDW itself isn't the most "educational", but there is an opportunity for math, reading, learning something new in almost every situation. I also think our time at AKL will be a great experience of fun learning.

He doesn't know we are going on a cruise yet, but we've been reading books about Mexico..concentrating on this so much because it has the most content, in my opinion. Last year in Key West he learned about plenty of marine life, history, lighthouses, ecosystems etc. There is so much to learn in this world besides what they teach in a classroom. :)

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not downplaying a classroom. We did his daily online reading tests, and would have brought the school work with us if we could. His teacher said "No, just go have fun." Unfortunately, this is what we returned to. :(. It was a rough week. We had 9 days to complete the work, on top of his regular homework, and 3-4 nights of football practice/games. I am really hoping that this year we can bring it with us!!!!

This homework was from Kindergarten. I never had that much homework at age 5!!!
image.jpeg

Last edited:

DisneyDoug85

yep, THATS why. Not the fact that schools don't get the funding they need to operate properly. Not the fact that schools shut down all the time and force kids to other schools, thus making the student to teacher ratio out of control. Not the fact that inner city teachers are not compensated nearly enough for what they are forced to deal with, leading to good teachers quitting and choosing a different career path etc etc etc. you're right, its ALL because of parents taking their kids out a few days here and there. SMH

HauntedMansionFLA

yep, THATS why. Not the fact that schools don't get the funding they need to operate properly. Not the fact that schools shut down all the time and force kids to other schools, thus making the student to teacher ratio out of control. Not the fact that inner city teachers are not compensated nearly enough for what they are forced to deal with, leading to good teachers quitting and choosing a different career path etc etc etc. you're right, its ALL because of parents taking their kids out a few days here and there. SMH
Right on the money$$$$$$$$ The parents taking kids out of school during the school year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom