A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ANJ

I have said for a few months Georgie was on his way out. This will just expedite things a bit. But not just yet. First who will replace him? Who wants that job now? Its career suicide, at least in terms of any career with the Disney co. If Mao Iger could have seen the future he would have made his way out as well. Things are not going to go well for the WDC. in the next twelve months. A year from now those Wall street darlings that are so in love with Chairman Mao will want his head on a platter.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Had my college roommate--father of 5-year-old twins, well-off, roughly bi-annual WDW visitor from NJ, i.e. target WDW guest--blow up my phone last week. Absolutely livid WDW tried to get him to rent a paddleboat on an alligator-infested lagoon.

Did you slap him out of his delirium?

flynnibus

Premium Member
OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?

Not unless someone can come forward with some evidence that Disney had intentionally neutered its wildlife management programs.. or systematically failed to adapt to new conditions.

Randoms saying "i reported an alligator and they didn't think it was a big deal!!" don't cut it.
Low levels who aren't even involved in those departments giving their opinion of what Disney was or was not doing in other departments.. doesn't cut it.
Disney not being more aggressive with guests who feed wildlife.. certainly something I would fault Disney for.. but at what level? Probably at the resorts level and I'd want to hear/see more investigation in how the information and decisions were being handled before I went Queen of Hearts on people.

But that's because I'm an analytical person who wants something to actually have an impact and actually address specifics and not just think 'we need to act... to show we acted'

flynnibus

Premium Member
Roger that. My AP/DVC-Grand Floridian boss just told me her days of fishing in that "gator water" are over. She goes twice a year, for 10 days each time. Avid fisher; she always fished every morning during vacation.

Does she not fish anywhere else in the south? The amount of overreaction people have blows my mind. Do they think gators jump out of the water and bite their arm off in the boat?

I guess I'm always a fool for over estimating what the general population wastes their brain cells on.

WDWBear84

What segment of TDO is responsible for SSL? Is each hotel responsible for the section of the lake nearest them, or is some dept in charge of the entire lake?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Under his tenure, he expanded the Polynesian DVC including the over-water, much-maligned bungalows without any thought whatsoever to the consequences of what introducing guests to that environment would do

This claim is based on what? The outcome alone does not reflect what the decision process or what was evaluated...

He or his staff continued to ignore the reports of guests feeding alligators and refused to allow any consequences happen as a result

And we know how far down or up the chain this went based on what precisely?

He or his staff allowed a culture to exist that disregarded guest safety through the dismissal of aggressive alligator reports from cast and guests alike

A claim based on what? A huge difference between reporting an alligator, and reporting one that is credibly aggressive or a nusiance. Notice what is lacking from most accounts of these reports??? Those details.

He continues to prevent FWC from citing guests whom feed alligators, saying it would be "unmagical." (ed. note: Toddlers being eaten by alligators is also unmagical)[/G

Again... based on what?

This happened in a very short amount of time as there wasn't this alligator problem on that side of the lagoon before the bungalows were built.

Really? Based on what again?

This thing is going to be so full of ' I heard on the internet' its going to be like 9/11 in terms of stuff people repeat without anything actually to base it on.

TeriofTerror

OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?
Unless clear and irrefutable proof comes to light that he was aware of the issue and deliberately ignored it, I vote "no". I think it's an organizational, not individual, failure.
But I'm on my second glass of wine after donating blood a few hours ago, so I'm feeling uncharacteristically mellow. ;)

PhotoDave219

This claim is based on what? The outcome alone does not reflect what the decision process or what was evaluated...

And we know how far down or up the chain this went based on what precisely?

A claim based on what? A huge difference between reporting an alligator, and reporting one that is credibly aggressive or a nusiance. Notice what is lacking from most accounts of these reports??? Those details.

Again... based on what?

Really? Based on what again?

This thing is going to be so full of '**** I heard on the internet' its going to be like 9/11 in terms of stuff people repeat without anything actually to base it on.

You know I cant out where I got all that from.....

We're gonna disagree. I see where you're coming from and I might be willing to make the counter-argument but not after what I was sent.

And please don't confuse me with the "loose change" or "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" crowd, I'd really like to tie those folks to some .... well You get the point.

SorcererMC

Unless clear and irrefutable proof comes to light that he was aware of the issue and deliberately ignored it, I vote "no". I think it's an organizational, not individual, failure.
But I'm on my second glass of wine after donating blood a few hours ago, so I'm feeling uncharacteristically mellow. ;)

You raise a good point re: organizational failure....but I also think that he is being put 'front and center' as the responsible individual since he released the statement (they put his face on it)....ie if it's being tried 'in the court of public opinion', it might not bode well for him. In which case, I wonder if 'quietly leaving' is really an option for him.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You know I cant out where I got all that from.....

We're gonna disagree. I see where you're coming from and I might be willing to make the counter-argument but not after what I was sent.

And please don't confuse me with the "loose change" or "jet fuel cant melt steel beams" crowd, I'd really like to tie those folks to some .... well You get the point.

I'm not saying out the source... I'm saying vet the content. How far people's horizons actually reach... people seem to forget.

And for as much as the public has demonstrated stupidity in what alligators actually do... I just can't get over how people in one breath argue people can't be expected to know anything about gators... then in the next they take the complete lay's accounts of sightings and reactions as if it was the freaking FWC itself on site making the judgements.

ThemeParkJunkee

There will need to be an investigation. Hopefully not as "discovery" in a lawsuit but an investigation. If Georgie K. had knowledge via email, memo, report or whatever that aggressive alligators were present, CMs failed to enforce rules regarding guests feeding wildlife, gaters over 4 feet not being routinely removed etc. I know that often, at the very top, execs don't read reports, are preoccupied with minutia, or overly concerned about appearances. A short investigation would reveal his awareness level and the culpability of underlings vs George himself. However, as a scapegoat, he looks logical.

RSoxNo1

I posted this in one of the newest gator chomping threads, but don't overly care to venture beyond this one, so I'm putting it here too ...

I was debating on starting a thread of my own on this subject (since we only have about 16 now). Mine would be titled 'Should George Kalogridis Be Fired After Child's Death?' ... I decided against it because my heart just isn't into this at all. I also think the overreaction by Disney and the fan community is a bit sad and predictable. Let's all do something to change something that was a fluke and still should have been easily prevented IF Disney just grew a pair and didn't allow its Guests to break the law and feed gators, but changing a law that allows terrorists to buy 'items' that murdered 49 people and shot another 53 and traumatized countless others? Nah ... not worth talking about here or anywhere.

I find these knee jerk decisions to be so typical of a gutless corporation like Disney. A joke in the Jungle Cruise, a character in a parade or a show, a float in the EWP ... Just come on.

And now they are looking at shutting down or drastically altering the marinas. Sorry, one death in 44-plus years should not lead to insane changes for PR sake. They need to be focusing on the real problems. But what do I know? ... I know that Disney is getting a drubbing in media across the globe. I know that it could have been prevented with simple rules and ... why bother?
Do you have any information that tells you these are all permanent changes. We've had others say that Louis in the new castle show was only temporarily removed. I would suspect that this is all part of temporary civility.

No Name

I think it's been really subtle yet powerful of Disney to not post on all social media accounts since the tragedies. In the past week, Disney has opened a whole new resort, and 2 rides and 2 shows in WDW. That's a ton for a seven day stretch. In fact, it's the most that's opened in one week in all of Iger's time as CEO. This is a really big time for the company, and Disney would more than likely want to make a big deal out of all of the openings So I think it's pretty powerful and strong of them to imply that a loss of lives can't just be moved on from, and in comparison, these new attractions are trivial.

What I get from it is an image that Disney cares more about the lost lives than about their own popularity and attendance. Puting people before business. Not true, but that's at least whay it gives the impresion of.

I'm sure there is some real reason why they aren't posting to social media and the parks blog, and that it's not only what I said above. But either way, whatever the reason, I think it's great. They haven't typed a thing in a week, yet they've sent quite a strong message.

I'd like to think they'd redesign it because it's awful (and I'm a Uni/HP fan), but I'd be surprised if they did. They don't seem to be very interested in big improvements to clones (and 3D on HPFJ is not an improvement).

I can't understand why they decided to go 3D for the USH version. Do they think they're lacking in the 3D department? 'Cause they sure aren't! I think it's more of a false feeling they have, that everything is better in 3D. But I'm glad you agree that it's not an improvement.

I am hoping both Star Wars Land rides are not 3D, though I'm 90% sure they both are.

WDW already advertise in the UK as having 6 parks - I thought they did this in the US too, maybe it's just for us gullible Brits!

LOL I didn't know that. Thank you.

The video you posted is the first I've ever seen that states "six parks." Sometimes the ads in the US will say will say "4 parks plus 2 waterparks" or something like that. But usually just four parks. The merchanside in the resort also emphasizes 4 parks and often doesn't show or have much representing the water parks (except at the stores of those actual parks).

Anyway, in that case, I guess they'd just have to change their advertising in certain parts of the workd

the.dreamfinder

Now for something not involving aligators. Birth.Movies.Death's amazing limited edition Pixar issue is still available. If you didn't order one, do so now. None of the articles in the magazine will be put online. This is your last call.
http://mondotees.com/collections/birth-movies-death/products/birth-movies-death-pixar-issue
Alamo%2BDrafthouse%2BPixar%2B1.jpg

https://ohmy.disney.com/insider/201...the-disney-pixar-issue-of-birth-movies-death/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom