A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Rteetz

Hollywood Reporter: Will you be a season-ticket holder?

Iger: I'm a lifetime Green Bay Packers fan. I doubt I'm going to be a season-ticket holder [in L.A.]. I'm going to keep my allegiance to the Packers.

There's the reason to really hate him, he's a cheesehead. There's nothing worse than a packer fan.
Hey now what's wrong with a packer fan?

rael ramone

He continues to prevent FWC from citing guests whom feed alligators, saying it would be "unmagical." (ed. note: Toddlers being eaten by alligators is also unmagical)

This is what stood out to me.

If someone commits a crime, what authority does George (or anyone) have to stop the authorities citing guests?...

If he is interfering with law enforcement (and I believe FWC is an arm of law enforcement) holding violators accountable for their actions, could that classify as Obstruction Of Justice?

If that is the case, then that and that alone merits 'immediate dismissal', similar to what happened to the gentleman who messed up the Aulani DVC sales. (No proof of 'Budget Cuts' necessary).

truecoat

HR: Who do you lean on when making decisions? Who are your confidants?

Bob Iger: I have a great team. I have [communications chief] Zenia [Mucha], a great general counsel [Alan Braverman], I have a very strong and relatively new CFO [Christine McCarthy], and I have a great head of HR [Jayne Parker]. That's the core corporate team. And then the business unit team, Alan Horn is right down the hall and Ben [Sherwood], who is relatively new. This is a team I work very closely with. For instance, we have lunch every Monday. We had lunch today for an hour and a half, and the first thing I did was show them a seven-minute video of Shanghai … just to get everybody in a good mood. Then we did a business update, we talked about Wanda, we talked about some of ESPN's issues, we congratulated ourselves that we have the Warriors and the Cavaliers in the NBA Finals. It's a mutually supportive environment. There's always politics in any company, but it's a fairly politically free senior team. I'm going to share everything with you. If you burn me, that ends the sharing process.

No creatives involved in this power circle. Alan was involved in TV but more of a production manager it seems.

truecoat

Hey now what's wrong with a packer fan?

packer fan.jpg

JoeCamel

Heres where we disagree - the execs create the culture where this can happen. What did they learn from the 09 monorail crash? Not much as theres been two more crashes since then. If they're not listening to the front line cast, and while I dont have specifics on this, I know they dont in other areas, they should shoulder blame.

Something at the root of WDW's recent "issues" is they created a culture of "never say no". If you do you are out so they get the RoL folks telling marketing "sure we can open on Earth day", Frozen people saying we are ready for 6/21 and failing to listen to front line CMs who raise concerns. Never say no, just say you will find out is akin to the story of the emperor's clothes. They never want to hear the bad as they live in a culture where WDW can do anything if they just dream it.

PhotoDave219

Something at the root of WDW's recent "issues" is they created a culture of "never say no". If you do you are out so they get the RoL folks telling marketing "sure we can open on Earth day", Frozen people saying we are ready for 6/21 and failing to listen to front line CMs who raise concerns. Never say no, just say you will find out is akin to the story of the emperor's clothes. They never want to hear the bad as they live in a culture where WDW can do anything if they just dream it.

I wouldn't expect ROL before August or Labor Day

SorcererMC

What an interesting interview. I know everyone digs on Iger, but I find him incredibly fascinating.

Fascinating, yes.

"Iger, 65, is chatting with The Hollywood Reporter, which has named him the most powerful person in entertainment for his shrewd management of the world's largest media company."

Shrewd, indeed. For me, this article is proof-positive of the Disney PR response to the recent tragedies, this article is it.

ParentsOf4

Not much you can do if CM's are brushing guest reports and concerns aside, as well as managers.... Not saying he did or didn't know of the issue, but there are a lot of factors, and now is not the time to get out the pitchforks. It's time to investigate, find out what happened, how it was able to happen, fix the issues, and then figure out if the ball was dropped and by who'm.
Yes but, at any company, management is legally responsible for taking a proactive stance to employee and customer safety and will be held liable if they do not.

It's not enough to say, "No one told me." They need to show that they created an environment where safety was paramount.

If they can demonstrate that, despite these steps, an employee blatantly disregarded the rules, that's one thing.

However, if they cannot show the concrete steps they took to foster a safe environment (both through employee training and executive action), then they are ultimately responsible.

Any ethical company with a good legal team knows this is expected by our legal system.

ParentsOf4

Does she not fish anywhere else in the south? The amount of overreaction people have blows my mind. Do they think gators jump out of the water and bite their arm off in the boat?

I guess I'm always a fool for over estimating what the general population wastes their brain cells on.
And yet, last time I checked, most water activities remain closed at WDW.

Exactly how are people supposed to react when, through its own action, Disney is reevaluating the safety of these activities?

Don't blame the general population for following Disney's lead.

lazyboy97o

Heres where we disagree - the execs create the culture where this can happen. What did they learn from the 09 monorail crash? Not much as theres been two more crashes since then. If they're not listening to the front line cast, and while I dont have specifics on this, I know they dont in other areas, they should shoulder blame.
This is a horrible point, nothing more than empty sensationalism. The subsequent crashes between trains and the tractors is not in any way related to the 2009 collision.

Last edited:

hopemax

OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?

The questions I might have...remember all the 20% cuts in non-revenue generating locations. One of the places we know got hit was the recreation folks that do the resort activities like the marshmallows and the movies. So did they trim staff that might have been available to walk the beach and said something to the Dad about letting a toddler be so close to the water. Or was that something they never did. Second, the wildlife team, did they have any cutbacks that might have influenced the threshold of when Disney takes action or the timelines? (resort managers know that if they contact them, it takes a week for anyone to show up so who knows where the gator is, so what's the point. That type of thing)

Who is responsible for the signage? Usually, you hear stories of the lawyers making Disney do silly stuff because of possible liability. But that's mostly a California thing. Like I've wondered before, the State of Florida, due to different politics may not care as much as the State of California if people die. Is that something the wildlife team should have put forward as necessary, the lawyers, water management, etc.

Otherwise, I think there is a general lack of "big picture" awareness from many levels of management, in many parts of corporate America. Not exclusive to Disney. I'm guessing the gator problem never would have crossed his desk. It's not a profit metric, or a PR metric. It's the type of thing that high level people assume lower level people are taking care of, and don't give it a minutes thought. No executive would ever say they expected someone to cut or ignore safety concerns to meet a budget. But lower level people may think, "there hasn't been an issue in 30 years, why would there be an issue now." So it's an easy cut to make, or "to make it safer, will cost money I don't have in my budget right now, and it's probably just overkill anyway." Along the lines of communities that sell of their snow plows because they hadn't used them in 10 years, and then three years later gets hit with a big snowstorm and the citizenry pulls out their pitchforks. Or there is a general lack of appreciation for the necessity of "Institutional Knowledge." When someone is in a position for 20 years, I think in general, they know the rare and deep corners of their job in ways that people who move around every 3-5 years do not. Some industries people are paid a lot of money to consider the "predictable" freak accidents. Amusement park safety should be one of them. I have a feeling that 70's WDW was a lot better at handling the "what ifs" than current WDW.

Ultimately, the buck stops with him. Matt Ouimet / Greg Emmer put forth a very different set of expectations for the operation of the Disneyland Resort than Cynthia Harriss and Paul Pressler. I have no doubt that they actively sought out and opened the door for a different set of issues to cross their desks than their predecessors. What gets elevated, what gets squashed; the leader sets the tone. From what I know about Disney there are too many business folks making decisions based on metrics without awareness of the operational side. The difference between book smarts vs street smarts, so to speak. The thing is, it may even be a slightly better environment now for the obscure ops stuff to bubble up. One can only imagine what Meg would have done with some of the more obscure things operations should have a plan for. George has been around long enough, I would hope he would know the "rare and deep" corners exist and someone needs to check in on them from time to time. Even if he didn't know about this specific rare corner: gator safety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom