A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

SorcererMC

Agreed re: what can be proven on his watch, it depends on the difference between the orientations 'Proactive Preventative' vs. 'Retroactive Reactionary'

Edit: also depends on what measurable costs Disney will incur, both immediate direct costs and longer term indirect costs (eg public goodwill), how much will Disney have to spend to get that back, relative to its 'usual' public relations.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Volcano Bay concept video:

1310473355.jpg

Looks nice. dont know why it gives me some similar feels to local parks in Quintana Roo (Xel-ha, Xcaret and Xplor)

Cesar R M

Let it go.

I really liked the first olaf AA. It moved fluid.
But the second 2 ones.. didnt.
Also, I have no idea why but elsas and annas AA's looks.. weird and pretty static, specially Elsas.. D:
I liked the build up for the "let it go" part.
The castle fireworks finale was way too short imho (boat moving too fast).

PhotoDave219

OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?

Do we hold him accountable? Yes.

It happened on his watch, a guest was killed in the most horrific way possible on property. He's the man ultimately in charge in Lake Buena Vista and he should be allowed to resign.

Under his tenure, he expanded the Polynesian DVC including the over-water, much-maligned bungalows without any thought whatsoever to the consequences of what introducing guests to that environment would do. He or his staff continued to ignore the reports of guests feeding alligators and refused to allow any consequences happen as a result. He or his staff allowed a culture to exist that disregarded guest safety through the dismissal of aggressive alligator reports from cast and guests alike. He continues to prevent FWC from citing guests whom feed alligators, saying it would be "unmagical." (ed. note: Toddlers being eaten by alligators is also unmagical) Guest revenue and demands by those in high-dollar rooms were allowed to take precedent over a common-sense approach towards those that feed the alligators (and crocodiles, reportedly).

This happened in a very short amount of time as there wasn't this alligator problem on that side of the lagoon before the bungalows were built.

This is a freak occurrence that resulted in a guest dying but thats one death too many. This could have been easily prevented by a combination of enforcing the existing prohibitions on feeding wildlife as well as taking the reports of aggressive alligators in the area seriously.

jensenrick

I know I posted about this in the Seven Seas Lagoon tragedy thread, but it's worth repeating here.

There was a thread also about the shootings and many people voiced concerns and heartbreak over such a senseless happening, only to be told that they had no right to even grieve for the victims unless they were a part of the LGBT community. The thread got nasty very fast and I'm sure turned a lot of people off, myself included. Yes I'm still outraged that this could happen and my heart breaks for all the families involved, but I chose not to participate in the ugliness that abounded in that thread.

I cannot let this stand unremarked. This is not true. No one ever said who does or doesn't have the right to grieve. Did the thread become nasty? Unfortunately yes, but not for that reason. Anyone can grieve. Anyone can be supportive. Grieving people can be sensitive.

But being supportive does not mean erasing people's identities, or telling those in the community how they should feel. I'm not saying you did that, I'm saying that is something to be sensitive to, for those who wish to be supportive to the grieving.

No Name

OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?

Some blame should certainly fall on the guy for not putting a stop to the gator feeding and for not improving safety. And for allowing the misleading message of the beach to continue. You're supposed to stay out of the water, yet there's sand and chairs. Is it a beach for people to be on or not? So the whole area should be fenced off and off-limits to anyone not out on a boat. George should certainly feel bad about it. I wonder if he really does.

But how high up the ladder do we go? Unless George stopped safety precaitions from being implemented and stopped cast from punishing the gator feeders, it's far less of his fault than the fault of those in charge of that specific area (or the beach/water areas in general). If someone as distant as him is going to be fired, Chapek and even Iger might as well be fired too. Hey, that would be a nice way to clean out the company!

George has to worry about daily operations and make sure a variety of other things are going well. In all of WDW's 45 years this has never happened, so it certainly wasn't at the top of his list of safety issues. There are a thousand other things that could go wronh and cause injury or death. It definitely should've been on someone's radar of concerns. But someone specific to hotels, or to the Grand Floridian, or to recreational areas, or to wildlife. Not the president of the entire resort.

For whatever reasons, whether luck of not, fewer deaths and incidents have occured under George than under his predecessors. While I'm not the biggest George K fan either, I don't think he should be fired over this one incident.

I do think he should do everything he possibly can to help the family and make the situation better.

PhotoDave219

Who knows if the Management and teams over at the resorts were even reporting much of this to George...
Some blame should certainly fall on the guy for not putting a stop to the gator feeding and for not improving safety. And for allowing the misleading message of the beach to continue. You're supposed to stay out of the water, yet there's sand and chairs. Is it a beach for people to be on or not? So the whole area should be fenced off and off-limits to anyone not out on a boat. George should certainly feel bad about it. I wonder if he really does.

But how high up the ladder do we go? Unless George stopped safety precaitions from being implemented and stopped cast from punishing the gator feeders, it's far less of his fault than the fault of those in charge of that specific area (or the beach/water areas in general). If someone as distant as him is going to be fired, Chapek and even Iger might as well be fired too. Hey, that would be a nice way to clean out the company!

George has to worry about daily operations and make sure a variety of other things are going well. In all of WDW's 45 years this has never happened, so it certainly wasn't at the top of his list of safety issues. There are a thousand other things that could go wronh and cause injury or death. It definitely should've been on someone's radar of concerns. But someone specific to hotels, or to the Grand Floridian, or to recreational areas, or to wildlife. Not the president of the entire resort.

For whatever reasons, whether luck of not, fewer deaths and incidents have occured under George than under his predecessors. While I'm not the biggest George K fan either, I don't think he should be fired over this one incident.

I do think he should do everything he possibly can to help the family and make the situation better.

He's the captain of the ship. He's responsible for everyone's actions or inaction, directly or not. He allows a culture to thrive that blatantly ignores the OG.

He's the one who should ultimately be held responsible as thats what his job is. Else, why pay him the big bucks? You get the credit when life is good, you fall when it all goes wrong.

.... plus he was very annoyed at having to come back from Shanghai early or so the grapevine says...

Disney Analyst

He's the captain of the ship. He's responsible for everyone's actions or inaction, directly or not.

He's the one who should ultimately be held responsible as thats what his job is. Else, why pay him the big bucks? You get the credit when life is good, you fall when it all goes wrong.

Not much you can do if CM's are brushing guest reports and concerns aside, as well as managers.... Not saying he did or didn't know of the issue, but there are a lot of factors, and now is not the time to get out the pitchforks. It's time to investigate, find out what happened, how it was able to happen, fix the issues, and then figure out if the ball was dropped and by who'm.

PhotoDave219

Not much you can do if CM's are brushing guest reports and concerns aside, as well as managers.... Not saying he did or didn't know of the issue, but there are a lot of factors, and now is not the time to get out the pitchforks. It's time to investigate, find out what happened, how it was able to happen, fix the issues, and then figure out if the ball was dropped and by who'm.

Oh I agree that those are the remedial steps that need to be taken immediately.

However, I feel the next guy is the one who should be figuring those answers.

shortstop

He's the captain of the ship. He's responsible for everyone's actions or inaction, directly or not. He allows a culture to thrive that blatantly ignores the OG.

.... plus he was very annoyed at having to come back from Shanghai early or so the grapevine says...
Is the apathetic culture his fault, or is that simply indicative of the company as a whole/prior WDW management? Neither would excuse him in this situation of course, but this seems to be a microcosm of the larger, enduring issues within TWDC.

asianway

Can anyone refresh my memory on how many deaths, guest cast or otherwise Tokyo has had in 30 years? Here you kill a kid they make you segment CFO

SirLink

Can I just ask the question which may of been answered but at the 'faux' beach properties is their a lot of CCTV to monitor those front shore properties?

SirLink

Can anyone refresh my memory on how many deaths, guest cast or otherwise Tokyo has had in 30 years? Here you kill a kid they make you segment CFO

I would say that is more a cultural thing. The whole reserved and orderly vs the outgoing and chaotic thing going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom