A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

For anyone who was keeping track of what USH promised to announce this morning, it wasn't a new hotel or the Secret Life of Pets attraction as speculated. It was so much bigger than that...

a new logo.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/justannounced2016

You're better than hyping logo announcements, Universal. Get a clue.
At least the details on Volcano Bay sound great...

Fast & Furious has also been delayed to 2018 but the owner of OU said not to get our hopes up for a change in plans :(

clemmo

At least the details on Volcano Bay sound great...

Fast & Furious has also been delayed to 2018 but the owner of OU said not to get our hopes up for a change in plans :(
Really makes sense though that they'd move F&F back that way they also have something new to market for 2018. 2017 already has plenty between what they're marketing as a new theme park and Fallon. Volcano bay does look very impressive though

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I didn't start a new thread, but serious question I'd like opinions on:

Should George Kalogridis be fired over the child's death and what led up to it?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For anyone who was keeping track of what USH promised to announce this morning, it wasn't a new hotel or the Secret Life of Pets attraction as speculated. It was so much bigger than that...

a new logo.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/justannounced2016

You're better than hyping logo announcements, Universal. Get a clue.

It's almost as if they were planning to introduce more then realized they weren't ready or plans were changing? I dunno, something fishy about it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

If it can be proven that under his watch things were made less safe than the 40+ years prior....yes. Often we don't expect a safety issue or something bad to happen until it does, then we're reactionary instead of, um....actionary?

Bad things happen, even at Disney. As I posted somewhere else, I still feel safer around the beach than I do on any of the roads or buses at WDW

Phicinfan

Comes down to a few data points to be confirmed....

Was there feedback from crew members of folks feeding the animals, and no action was taken, Was there feedback about sightings of large alligators in area and no action taken. Was there any investigation of changing signing to state stay clear of water, not no swimming.

IF any or all of these were true, and he did not mandate actions then he is culpable, and probably needs to go.

This was a horrible accident, and while I don't think it could have been expected, in the end of the day, were it to be sued, the courts will light up Disney for not doing enough.

At some point there has to be clear verbage in the material given to customers that any witnessed events of feeding wild life constitutes you being thrown off property(not just out of the resort, but off all disney property). They have already fixed the sign issue, and have some fencing going up to keep folks away from the water. But if any of that was raised before and not acted on, they are culpable.

Rodan75

Honestly I think that is a tough call. On one hand, alligator warning signs should have been posted. Over Memorial Day I was surprised how many activities were occurring on the SSL beaches compared to previous years (I seem to remember the beaches being mostly decorative since the 90's but my memory may be skewed). However, unless he specifically cut programs that would have dealt with animal control or he was negligent in not handling complaints about the bungalows. I don't think he should be fired.

However, he may be fired just because these things happened on his watch.

Alligator populations across the south have spiked in recent years, bringing alligator meat prices down significantly (as mentioned repeatedly on the Disney/A&E show Swamp People) Disney as an organization should have been more cognizant about the risk and should have had signs up/more aggressive animal control going back at least 5-6 years.

Isn't he at the end of his contract either way?

Stevek

No, unless he was made aware of an increased gator problem which went unaddressed. If things really haven't changed with that regards in the last decade, I'm not sure you can hold him accountable. I do think Disney will pay the family enough money to put the families surviving kids and their kids thorough college though.

No Name

Volcano bay layout...low res from IPW thanks to Orlando Sentinel and good friends at OU. .

Cla2VnqUYAA5qAr.jpg:large

Interesting that they're advertising Volcano Bay as their third park. I'm not too surprised. Three parks sounds like something you could book a trip around, and it looks stronger for a place that has historically been weaker than Disney. I do wonder if it'll truly be treated as a third park (paid for with regular park tickets at regular park price) or if they'll do a seperate pricing thing like Disney does.

If Universal sticks with advertising themselves as having three parks, I wouldn't be surprised to see WDW eventually change their slogan to something along the lines of Six Parks, One World. In which case Universal would still have half the number of Disney.

Either way, I'm excited for another water park. Picture has me worried, but I hope Volcano Bay is truly something special.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Had my college roommate--father of 5-year-old twins, well-off, roughly bi-annual WDW visitor from NJ, i.e. target WDW guest--blow up my phone last week. Absolutely livid WDW tried to get him to rent a paddleboat on an alligator-infested lagoon.

Like it or not, this story hit a nerve with the customer base. WDW sells escapism, worry-free fun for a high cost. Destroy that illusion, break that implied sense of trust, the business can't help but take a hit. And that's news.

Roger that. My AP/DVC-Grand Floridian boss just told me her days of fishing in that "gator water" are over. She goes twice a year, for 10 days each time. Avid fisher; she always fished every morning during vacation.

JDL30

Interesting that they're advertising Volcano Bay as their third park. I'm not too surprised. Three parks sounds like something you could book a trip around, and it looks stronger for a place that has historically been weaker than Disney. I do wonder if it'll truly be treated as a third park (paid for with regular park tickets at regular park price) or if they'll do a seperate pricing thing like Disney does.

If Universal sticks with advertising themselves as having three parks, I wouldn't be surprised to see WDW eventually change their slogan to something along the lines of Six Parks, One World. In which case Universal would still have half the number of Disney.

Either way, I'm excited for another water park. Picture has me worried, but I hope Volcano Bay is truly something special.

WDW already advertise in the UK as having 6 parks - I thought they did this in the US too, maybe it's just for us gullible Brits!

MonkeyHead

I think it's already been posted (if not here than elsewhere) that in some places WDW does market as six parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom