From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

betty rose

So do you think people who live in the southeast don't know that bears, coyotes, deer etc exist up north? One because they learned about it in school, probably read a few books in their life, probably watch the news, and probably know a little about where they are traveling to besides their immediate destination.

No way do I think it's 90%. I just can't believe that. I think more than 10% deserve a lot more credit than you are giving them.
I'm almost 70 years old, and I know my education was lacking. We didn't have any education about each state, except for memorizing the capital. There was only 49 states then. I learned about Hawaii 50, from T.V. Yes, I'm ancient.

betty rose

Articles with people wanting their 15 minutes of fame. I've been going to Disney for 32 years and gators have always been there. So just because some attention wanters say they saw some doesn't mean they are experts or the population is booming. And if you check YouTube some of the videos are 10 years old, others just stole the originals and reposted this week so they could get views even though the original video is years old.
10 years, is not 44 years. That's how long our family has gone to Florida. Alligator's were an endangered species at that time. They weren't a problem for Disney or tourist's. The State put them on the endangered species list, and saw that their population grow, to the point it's now a problem. Please don't speak of something you read on YouTube, unless you are my age, and know the history, you are wrong.

betty rose

It was an article that backed up what I saw at Coronado in July of 2015....the CMs were calling the gator their unofficial "pet" and allowed kids to drop fries from a bridge. I sent a few snaps to my friends bc I had never seen a gator in the wild so close before.
My sister and brother in law saw an alligator napping between the buildings. They reported it to the front desk, and was said it's napping, not a problem.

Last edited:

AEfx

Considering what it costs to take a WDW vacation, these days, I am always surprised when people do not educate themselves.

Can you point out the link at the WDW website where the dangers were sufficiently described to guests?

All these comments about they should have known are simply from inside the "WDW fan" bubble. The average person goes to that website and that's it. And that's what Disney wants and what they encourage, a one-stop-shop. Disney picks you up at the airport and drops you off a week later - surely all the info you need is with their site. Folks that think they are "defending" Disney by saying "this is common knowledge" is actually calling Disney negligent, as this supposedly common knowledge for all wasn't available from them.

Given that it's quite often that when gators are spotted on site the first question people ask CM's is - "Is that animatronic?" I don't think it's such common knowledge as folks are pretending.

What I also see missing from post after post is the fact that as they have built out the lagoon with all the DVC and other junk, a lot more people are around it, and folks are coming out of the woodwork with evidence (including videos for those that want to think they are just "stories") that a lot of feeding that has been going on. This completely changes the behavior of the animals.

So no, this probably wouldn't have happened at any old watering hole in Florida with the kid in an inch or two of water. Wild gators stay away from people. This wasn't some "scary vicious evil gator" - it was actually quite small so it's likely he grew up around there. He'd probably been fed by people for most of his life. To be frank, he probably thought the bigger person was giving him the little person as a snack, not actually attacking (which is why he eventually let the child go and didn't consume him, it appears he just drowned and was recovered intact).

This was an eventuality that only was getting more likely, not a freak occurrence. And thankfully Disney is already taking steps to change that, and I am sure many more will be coming.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

My sister and brother in law saw any alligator napping between the buildings. They reported it to the front desk, and was said it's napping, not a problem.
My brother, dad, and myself were about 10 feet from a 4ish foot gator sunbathing at one of the Shades of Green's ponds when we were walking to get breakfast. We didn't tell the front desk, because there are signs there that say "DO NOT feed or get near the alligators as this is there natural habitat". If you haven't been at the Shades there are legitimate swamps there unlike the beaches along SSL & Bay Lake. Ever since we saw it a few years ago that is what made us decide not to walk along and in the water when we go to poly as that is walking distance from where we saw the gator. Ever since then I've always wondered why they haven't had signs at poly, gf, Contemporary etc. Problem is though, not everyone knows about gators being in SSL, like we did not prior to going to the shades of green, and even then, we generally didn't think about it being a problem at SSL until we actually put some thought into it which was the next time we went to the beach at poly a few days later.

Last edited:

betty rose

My brother, dad, and myself were about 10 feet from a 4ish foot gator sunbathing at one of the Shades of Green's ponds when we were walking to get breakfast. We didn't tell the front desk, because there are signs there that say "DO NOT feed or get near the alligators as this is there natural habitat". If you haven't been at the Shades there are legitimate swamps there unlike the beaches along SSL & Bay Lake. Ever since we saw it a few years ago that is what made us decide not to walk along and in the water when we go to poly as that is walking distance from where we saw the gator. Ever since then I've always wondered why they haven't had signs at poly, gf, Contemporary etc.
It seems Disney had selective signs for guests. No swimming is not the same as no swimming, Alligator's in this man made lake. Speaking to the issue at hand. About Disney's obligation to warn their visitor's that there are danger's at their various property's. I can only speak about the National Park's warnings, and garbage cans that they have tried to make bear proof. It seems like common sense to warn about danger's on your property.

Daveeeeed

It seems Disney had selective signs for guests. No swimming is not the same as no swimming, Alligator's in this man made lake. Speaking to the issue at hand. About Disney's obligation to warn their visitor's that there are danger's at their various property's. I can only speak about the National Park's warnings, and garbage cans that they have tried to make bear proof. It seems like common sense to warn about danger's on your property.
Completely agree. Not to mention if you go to someplace like Yellowstone National Park for instance, you are going to expect bears to be there, but they still have warnings. People expect gators to be in Florida and in the Everglades, but not necessarily in a lake, much less a man made lake, on an inviting beach at Disney.

*EDIT due to a mistake* Gators (but they do have bears in some areas of Florida)

Filby61

...Folks that think they are "defending" Disney by saying "this is common knowledge" is actually calling Disney negligent, as this supposedly common knowledge for all wasn't available from them.

It's not unlike the Florida Wildlife officials at the press conferences who repeatedly reassured the public that Disney has "always worked closely with us and we with them" on the gator problem and has always been aware of the gator issues. You could almost hear the groans of dismay from Disney Legal.

Last edited:

SirNim

USA Today interviewing a lawyer: state’s law doesn’t require an owner of a land to anticipate the presence of harm from wild animals unless the owner either owns the wild animal or introduced it.
If that's true (and no, I haven't reviewed the Florida statutes to see if it is), that seems perfectly reasonable.

21stamps

If that's true (and no, I haven't reviewed the Florida statutes to see if it is), that seems perfectly reasonable.
Of course it's true. That's why 90 something percent of hotels don't warn you of what's around. Not because they're trying to make you feel "safe", but because odds are- you are safe. They aren't trying to mislead you.

The gators aren't new. They haven't been an endangered species since the 1980s. It's just - Attacks are so rare that no one reasonably expects them.

21stamps

We have gone to Disney since they opened. DD was two at the time, years later we took one grandson at 6month's, the other three years. We never felt threatened, as we were told People went out every night to trap and take away snakes and alligators. It was Disney, and we believed them. Now, we have found out that the state of Florida has changed over time to repopulate the alligator population, and they have become a problem. We were never aware of the changes. This last trip we were threatened by a water moccasin. They are deadly. Our grandson was pulled away from that snake as it approached him, thrashing around and going toward him, thanks to our daughter's quick action he was pulled out of the way. Then it came after my husband, still trying to strike, he went backwards quickly, the snake turned toward me, and was aggressive, I yelled snake to alert those behind me while running backwards, as quick as we could. We got away just in time. This 6 foot snake came out of the plants, by the pool, not inside the pool, but the path by the pool. Out of no where we couldn't have prepared if we have wanted to. Quick thinking by our family saved us. We alerted a C.M. he wasn't alarmed, but said he would call it in. I'm not sure he took us seriously. Disney has taken the position, it's Florida, those are the risks. I'm not trying to start any argument, just to say.....it's Florida...there are risks. We live in Colorado and a bear was taken out of our daughter's neighborhood, it killed at pet. Every state has danger's from wildlife. People have a responsibility to warn people of their States dangers. We have gone to our Rocky Mountain National Park, we get a pamphlet every time we enter, about the dangers. Mountain lions, rattlesnakes, etc.
Im all fairness, although it may have been, but it probably was not a water moccasin. :)

I don't want everyone reading this to think Big Snake = Deadly. Because most snakes that you will see, at Disney or most places in Florida, actually aren't deadly at all, or even dangerous.

I will say that when I've gone to Telluride or Aspen, I've never once received a pamphlet on wildlife from the lodge or chalet company. I bet if people really think about places they travel to, you'll realize you never receive it.. And aren't "warned" of it. Anywhere from California to South Carolina. Maybe certain national parks, or a select few certain places, but not the majority.

Where I live now has Deer signs on the side of certain roads. But not downtown and not on most busy streets or highways. Deer still run onto the highway, and still cause accidents. It's just rare, and it happens more than a gator attack- but still no signs- because it is considered such a slim chance.

Bottom line- Disney, and even Florida, aren't any less safe today than they were 5,10,20 years ago.

Last edited:

21stamps

Completely agree. Not to mention if you go to someplace like Yellowstone National Park for instance, you are going to expect bears to be there, but they still have warnings. People expect gators to be in Florida and in the Everglades, but not necessarily in a lake, much less a man made lake, on an inviting beach at Disney.

*EDIT due to a mistake* Gators (but they do have bears in some areas of Florida)
I still, after all of these pages, don't think you have a grasp on what alligators do and don't do. You still keep talking like they only live in swamp looking areas. They don't. It's just where you'll see the most of them.
Oddly enough a crocodile got all the way down to Key West, and that's far away from their habitat. These things have legs- gators and crocs, they walk and they like water. But don't worry, Orlando is too far north for a crocodile.

I really hope you never visit South Florida.. I promise that no hotels will give you warnings, and there's another huge wildlife list added on to what lives in Central Florida.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

I still, after all of these pages, don't think you have a grasp on what alligators do and don't do. You still keep talking like they only live in swamp looking areas. They don't. It's just where the mostly live.
Oddly enough a crocodile got all the way down to Key West, and that's far away from their habitat. These things have legs- gators and crocs, they walk and they like water. But don't worry, Orlando is too far north for a crocodile.

I really hope you never visit South Florida.. I promise that no hotels will give you warnings, and there's another huge wildlife list added on to what lives in Central Florida.
I never once said that. All I was commenting on was the general public's interpretation of it. I have an aunt that lives in Parkland Florida (a suburb of Miami) been there nearly a dozen times. She has gators in a lake at her house, and neighborhood is on. We fish in it, stand next to it, but don't go in it because we know better not to. A tourist from someplace else may not know that.

Last edited:

21stamps

I never once said that. All I was commenting on was the general public's interpretation of it. I have an aunt that lives in Parkland Florida (a suburb of Miami) been there nearly a dozen times. She has gators in a lake her house is on, we fish in it, stand next to it, but don't go in it because we know better not to. A tourist from someplace else may not know that.
Suburb of Ft Lauderdale ;)
Yeah, Parkland is edging the Everglades. All of those cities out west definitely have more alligators and do need to be more aware of their pets and small children..I agree with that.
That's not where Disney is located though.

I can't get back on this merry go round with you. You keep repeating the same thing so many times. Water is water. Man made is irrelevant. A beach is irrelevant. Please google some facts and it will stop this circle.

Daveeeeed

Yeah, Parkland is edging the Everglades. All of those cities out west definitely have more alligators and do need to be more aware of their pets and small children..I agree with that.

I can't get back on this merry go round with you. You keep repeating the same thing so many times. Water is water. Man made is irrelevant. A beach is irrelevant. Please google some facts and it will stop this circle.
That's true about Fort Lauderdale lol. Everything in the Walt Disney World Property that has been developed were either swamps or swamp like forests, so it is of course a gator's natural habitat, but my point has always been that Disney should inform people that they're gators in there because it is not obvious lke a normal swamp.

Daveeeeed

You clearly have been misinterpreting my comments this whole time. Man-made is of course irrelevant to gators being at that location. This entire time I have been talking about the public's interpretation. A beach looks to a person to be more inviting than a swamp plain and simple I think we can both agree to that. I just think because of that and because Disney knew there were a bunch of gators in there they should have had warnings. A standerd No Swimming sign probably seemed to be there due to the state of the water, and not alligators. If you look back on threads like from 2002 and stuff, you will see that people thought it was because of amoeba, boats etc.

21stamps

image.jpeg
That's true about Fort Lauderdale lol. Everything in the Walt Disney World Property that has been developed were either swamps or swamp like forests, so it is of course a gator's natural habitat, but my point has always been that Disney should inform people that they're gators in there because it is not obvious lke a normal swamp.
Here- I did a quick Google search for you- please look at the map. It shows where alligators live. If you tell me that every hotel, resort, theme park in all of these areas warns guests of wildlife, I'd hand over my upcoming vacation lol. They don't. I'm positive of that. Not in SoFla not in most of Orlando, not in most of SC, or TX, etc.
It doesn't even matter now, because Disney is putting up warnings. Please just read all of this, and then maybe it will stop you from the circular path you're on.
And your fishing in Parkland, but not physically going in water- probably more risky than the GF beach.
image.jpeg

Daveeeeed

@21stamps I don't want this to go on a loop again so I want you to understand. I agree with you that we should not be scared of gators as it is so rare, but instead have the obvious safety measures. The whole reason for us going back and forth has seemed to be why I think Disney is the one held responsible. Things are open to interpretation, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of people don't expect gators to be in Seven Seas Lagoon, or Bay Lake. We have had knowledge of gators being there before this terrible tragedy of this baby dying happened. So the only reasonable way Disney can educate people that gators and snakes are in the water is to simply put up a sign that says Do Not go into the water. Alligators. And then have a photo of a gator. It would be that simple, but they chose not to probably thinking it would never happen, but then it did. It is a freak incident, Disney can't prevent all gators from being there, but all I am saying is this could have been avoided had Disney warned of gators. They have done that at the shades of green across the street, but it is a swamp so that is what most people associate Florida Gators with. They need it even more at a beach where it does not exactly look like gators might be. Heck at Castaway Key they have signs warning of sharks, jellyfish etc. even though they have nets, but you expect sharks worldwide to be in the water. Most people don't think a gator would be in inches deep water on a beach on a lake at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom