From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lol, Brazil is much worse. The amount of dangerous animals dwarfs Florida. Not to mention all the kidnappings and murderes of middle class and rich family member.
OK, but we are talking about the level of knowledge about gators in Florida that Brazilian tourists have not the murder rate or dangers in Brazil.

Daveeeeed

And alligators still attack small mammals regardless of humans feeding them or not. Which is why they kill animals and pets frequently. We keep forgetting those important factors about the attack.

This isn't an alligator attacking a grown man in the middle of a parking lot during lunchtime.
If you've read my posts you'd know that I know that. Very true, but it is also a fact that Gators come back more when you feed them and associate you with food which is a very bad thing.

The Mouse

I'm pretty disappointed in Disney's response (putting up those awful fences)

I'm fine with some more or different signing (which I personally don't think that is needed) or even a message at check in but this is way overboard in my opinion.

21stamps

That's not actually how it works. Depending on the state, their insurance company may refuse to pay unless the other person is taken to court first.
I think Florida law protects the homeowner in that scenario. I'm not sure of all of the details. Luckily I never had an alligators or anacondas in my yard to attack anyone. I don't know all of the details of the law though.
Ok. Based on your posts you seemed to be against doing anything different. For me personally I think signs in addition to info at check in would be adequate. I don't think the fence is really necessary, but once they put it up it's going to be hard to take down.

That info may not be new to you or someone who either lives in Florida or visits regularly. Is it common knowledge everywhere? How about Brazil or the UK or Nebraska? Isn't it easier to just warn and inform the guests just in case they don't know? What's the harm in that?
Considering the large Brazilian population in Florida that may have not been the best example.
But I know what you meant,
I guess this is what I'm having such a hard time understanding. Just because you've never lived somewhere doesn't mean you don't know about it. I think a lot more people than you realize do pay attention to the world around them.
Or maybe less people do than I realize.lol

Daveeeeed

Keep aiming lower... and keep trying... because its impossible to block every form of stupid from themselves. You aren't balancing any form of reasonable standard... just keep beating the drum that somehow outdoor places, because they are Disney, defy nature.

Please, never ever ever go anywhere near Fort Wilderness... I wouldn't want your type getting hurt because Disney didn't teach you everything about the outdoors.
I am not worried for my own sake, but the many people that don't connect that there could be gators in SSL. NEVER ONCE did I say once that Disney somehow has magical powers, but contrary to what you think most people don't think there are gators in SSL. It is just the fact how you are relatively worry free on vacation, and lack of education which doesn't make you stupid it just means people have to be told gators are in there. The fact of the matter is no one should be expected to know there are gators there as it is an international destination. How on Earth does that have to do anything with associating me "I wouldn't want your type getting hurt because Disney didn't teach you everything about the outdoors," I am trying to tell you that it is the people don't know about the gators that need to know not people like you and me. I've already said I wanted to stop talking about it as it is just a ridiculous cycle.

Daveeeeed

The 1986 attack was prompted because the kid was feeding wildlife and the gator probably wanted to get in on it.

It is called SS lagoon, but it is a lake with a fancy name.

I highly doubt Disney was warned by several CM's because 1 they probably didn't see anything and 2 most want to stay off their bosses radar, and 3 if there were issues the news would have gotten wind, they eat that kind of stuff up.
1 Disney was able to catch 5 alligators within hours of the attack in SSL, so even if they lied there are still gators there 2 What does that have to do with anything? 3 It wasn't news as it was internal, plus people have also spotted alligators at Gf & Poly, there's a youtube video of an alligator trying to get into Splash Mountain etc.

There were no signs saying not to feed the gators. They do have them at The Shades of Green which is across the street btw.

jaklgreen

I don't think anything that Disney does will matter. Just by reading what some people are posting about already knowing about gators and the dangers but still go near the water. I think people know it is wrong to feed gators. I think they know there are gators in the water. The problem is nobody thinks it will happen to them. They want to have the "perfect" vacation and get that cute picture of their kid with their feet in the water on a sandy beach. There will be people that climb over this new fence. I bet people will line their kids up next to the beware of alligators sign for a vacation photo. I think the signs are a good thing for those who truly do not know and actually have some sense of self preservation. Its a shame it took a tragedy for them to put better warnings up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Considering the large Brazilian population in Florida that may have not been the best example.
But I know what you meant,
I guess this is what I'm having such a hard time understanding. Just because you've never lived somewhere doesn't mean you don't know about it. I think a lot more people than you realize do pay attention to the world around them.
Or maybe less people do than I realize.lol
I don't think it's a matter of not paying attention to the world around them. Lots of people who know there are gators in the swamps in FL don't connect that to the man made lagoon at WDW. If they visited the Everglades and did a fan boat tour they would expect to see gators and wildlife but they don't expect to see gators in a highly developed area like WDW. It's a theme park which is highly controlled and most guests feel safe when on property. I guess if you are from the SouthEast and you grew up with gators it might seem naive. I think if you did a poll of WDW guests from outside of FL prior to this attack less than half would have been aware that there were gators in the Seven Seas Lagoon but probably 90%+ would have been aware that gators live in FL.

21stamps

I don't think anything that Disney does will matter. Just by reading what some people are posting about already knowing about gators and the dangers but still go near the water. I think people know it is wrong to feed gators. I think they know there are gators in the water. The problem is nobody thinks it will happen to them. They want to have the "perfect" vacation and get that cute picture of their kid with their feet in the water on a sandy beach. There will be people that climb over this new fence. I bet people will line their kids up next to the beware of alligators sign for a vacation photo. I think the signs are a good thing for those who truly do not know and actually have some sense of self preservation. Its a shame it took a tragedy for them to put better warnings up.
Wow. So letting your kid walk or stand a few inches in water is not have a sense of self preservation? You know why "most" people don't think it will happen to them?
Because it won't.
Has nothing to do with lack of self preservation.

Feeding the alligators- that's different. This shouldn't be done. I do think most people know this. Maybe not enough, but if someone witnesses it, like a lot here have claimed, while knowing it was a law and dangerous, then it should be reported.

Daveeeeed

I don't think it's a matter of not paying attention to the world around them. Lots of people who know there are gators in the swamps in FL don't connect that to the man made lagoon at WDW. If they visited the Everglades and did a fan boat tour they would expect to see gators and wildlife but they don't expect to see gators in a highly developed area like WDW. It's a theme park which is highly controlled and most guests feel safe when on property. I guess if you are from the SouthEast and you grew up with gators it might seem naive. I think if you did a poll of WDW guests from outside of FL prior to this attack less than half would have been aware that there were gators in the Seven Seas Lagoon but probably 90%+ would have been aware that gators live in FL.
Literally said it perfectly.

kelknight84

1 Disney was able to catch 5 alligators within hours of the attack in SSL, so even if they lied there are still gators there 2 What does that have to do with anything? 3 It wasn't news as it was internal, plus people have also spotted alligators at Gf & Poly, there's a youtube video of an alligator trying to get into Splash Mountain etc.

There were no signs saying not to feed the gators. They do have them at The Shades of Green which is across the street btw.
1 & 3- Right, and gators have always been there, it's not something new. There have been multiple around and for years. It is FL! The only new thing is the attack, and maybe more stupid people feeding them. And if the reports were internal so the news didn't know, then how are you all knowing?

2- That was response to your numerous posts about the manmade lagoon when it's really just a lake. It's not a pool.

Daveeeeed

1 & 3- Right, and gators have always been there, it's not something new. There have been multiple around and for years. It is FL! The only new thing is the attack, and maybe more stupid people feeding them. And if the reports were internal so the news didn't know, then how are you all knowing?

2- That was response to your numerous posts about the manmade lagoon when it's really just a lake. It's not a pool.
Some people have said, guests and cm's, that they have seen alligators there recently. No different then when I see them at The Shades of Green when we stay there. People just like me except at gf and poly have said they've seen them, and a couple of cast members have told online news that they told management, but they did nothing. It is not hait a recent thing, but a buildup as the gator population is increasingly getting larger, so odds keep getting higher every day. It isn't a big worry, but it is crazy how Disnwy did not have any warnings up, which is an easy legal reason they can sue Disney, and Disney would probably settle out of court, which is how this conversation started.

21stamps

So do you think people who live in the southeast don't know that bears, coyotes, deer etc exist up north? One because they learned about it in school, probably read a few books in their life, probably watch the news, and probably know a little about where they are traveling to besides their immediate destination.

No way do I think it's 90%. I just can't believe that. I think more than 10% deserve a lot more credit than you are giving them.

Daveeeeed

So do you think people who live in the southeast don't know that bears, coyotes, deer etc don't exist up north? One because they learned about it in school, probably read a few books in their life, probably watch the news, and probably know a little about where they are traveling to besides their immediate destination.

No way do I think it's 90%. I just can't believe that. I think more than 10% deserve a lot more credit than you are giving them.
Omg who cares. You knew what he meant, and what he said, his point has made more sense than what any of us have said regardless of view point.

21stamps

Omg who cares. You knew what he meant, and what he said, his point has made more sense than what any of us have said regardless of view point.
No I think it's horribly insulting to Americans, Europeans, South Americans and so on to say that 90% of people have no clue about the region they are traveling to.

No way is that close to true.

kelknight84

Some people have said, guests and cm's, that they have seen alligators there recently. No different then when I see them at The Shades of Green when we stay there. People just like me except at gf and poly have said they've seen them, and a couple of cast members have told online news that they told management, but they did nothing. It is not hait a recent thing, but a buildup as the gator population is increasingly getting larger, so odds keep getting higher every day. It isn't a big worry, but it is crazy how Disnwy did not have any warnings up, which is an easy legal reason they can sue Disney, and Disney would probably settle out of court, which is how this conversation started.
Articles with people wanting their 15 minutes of fame. I've been going to Disney for 32 years and gators have always been there. So just because some attention wanters say they saw some doesn't mean they are experts or the population is booming. And if you check YouTube some of the videos are 10 years old, others just stole the originals and reposted this week so they could get views even though the original video is years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom