Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

yeti

Nooooooooooo!

It's looked far too much a simulator from what they've released, but I really liked hearing you say it might be more like Forbidden Journey (an actual moving vehicle). Because that's what it should be.

It would just be stupid beyond words to have Star Tours and a Millenium Falcon simulator.

Unless they plan to retheme Star Tours (in DL or DHS or both) to some other IP, but even so, with a billion dollars, they should be able to create two rides on the level of (or even greater than) Forbidden Journey. They have over double the budget of Hogwarts. But of course they can't. I've been poking them for this a lot lately, but the way they spend their money really is quite frustrating.

The bird is rumored to be a kuka arm robocoaster-type ride. I'm picturing a flat track (though I guess it could have drops), whilst the simulator room you're sitting in sits on top of it, as if you replaced the shoulder harness benches on Forbidden Journey with an actual simulator projection room that seats four or so people, themed to the cockpit, hence the linear motion. I'm just guessing though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nooooooooooo!

It's looked far too much a simulator from what they've released, but I really liked hearing you say it might be more like Forbidden Journey (an actual moving vehicle). Because that's what it should be..
I can't go into too much detail yet, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You're not actually that far wrong. I believe the ride system is a hybrid and I don't think is in use anywhere else.

Last edited:

Maerj

This Millennium Falcon attraction sounds pretty cool but I'd like to see them make a pilot your own AT-ST attraction. I would love to see those walking around Star Wars Land.

No Name

I can't go into too much detail yet, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. You're not actually that far wrong. I believe the ride system is a hybrid and I don't think is in use anywhere else.

Oooooh, I like it! Sounds interesting, and not like a new version of Star Tours, so that's good. Hope good words keep coming! Thanks.

G00fyDad

OK, but realistically unless they were one person pods, exactly how would it be actually controllable and I'm not even taking technically possible into consideration.

Don't know. I didn't start the rumor or post that information. I am only referring to what has been said earlier in this thread. I would love to know how they would do something like that too. Unless they set it up like Mission Space and gave real control to the knobs, switches, and stick in the cockpit.

No Name

Don't get me wrong. You won't be moving through scene after scene of physical sets. But you will move.

Yeah, I understand.

But actual movement, rather than a stationary Star-Tours-esque "ride," is what I am hoping for and what you are saying will exist in some form. So I am glad for that.

ctrlaltdel

I'm envisioning the MF attraction to be like FJ, only instead of on a track you are in a cockpit that can rotate on an axis, synced to move with projections on a domed screen. I'm having a hard time seeing how many people will sit in a cockpit though. Martin said multiple, identical ride systems to increase capacity but that could be 2 or 20 depending on how many each cockpit seats.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So I got my infamous pencils out again this afternoon to try to figure out how all this might fit together...

image.jpeg

doctornick

I kind of feel like the MF ride will require one person in the group to be the pilot (kind of like the way the Disneyquest POTC ride and I think the Alien Encounter ride function) which would have to be chosen in the queue and you would stand in a particular loading slot. That person would control the movement. The other people would be gunners and fire at stuff. Perhaps there would be alternating vehicles of different size -- I'm thinking 2 or 4 person pods so it's either 1 pilot +1 gunner or 1 pilot + 3 gunners. The 2 person pod would be set up so the pilot can also shoot, which would be the setup for a solo rider.

Just a thought on how it might work.

polynesiangirl

I'm sure this is detailed out somewhere in this megathread, and so I do apologize for being a bit out of the loop here/possibly asking a stupid question, but can someone help clarify something for me?

In the initial press releases for SWL, I thought Disney referred to two new attractions, one of which was the Falcon ride and one was something else that was, if memory serves, left pretty vague. Do we know anything about this "other" attraction? Coaster? Dark ride? Simulator? Something they planned to do at one point but will probably never get around to? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom