A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

PhotoDave219

PhotoDave's Law: Any SPIRITED thread will inevitably turn into a food discussion.

Well bringing it back to Disney.... Disney used to be a place for good food - Long before the dining plan, menu consolidation, and management's desire to make it another profit center.

Anyone remember the Concourse Steakhouse? Anyone remember when you could get a NY Strip at 50's Prime Time? Anyone remember when lunch at Le Cellier wasn't signature dining and the same menu all day?

Disney used to be known for its food, hense some of the classic 20+ year old cookbooks from WDW & DL. Its just not that way anymore.
(I do enjoy making the Chicken Picatta and several of the other Club 33 recipes)

PhotoDave219

35 years in Cherry Hill and now Del Co. Very rarely have I had a cheesesteak with wiz. American is the cheese of choice outside of Genos and Pats (also rarely visited). So many local good cheesesteak spots here in the burbs.

Oh and Disney is killing me right now with all this BS. Fix your stuff Disney. Taking the kids in Dec and might be the last trip for a few years. Be Better.

DelCo steaks (in Chadds Ford, Dunedin and Brighthouse Networks Field) is decent. Probably one of the better I've had outside the motherland.

Mike S

Limited creative talent to ensure quality controI through too many projects. Just saw on a web site that Haunted Mansion took over 10 years from concept to reality. I know Walt passed during the process, but not rushing the creative process enables the "Disney difference".

May that never change.
That's because the Imagineers went through quite a few concepts before getting to the ride that we got. Some examples being a walkthrough attraction and even something on Main Street in early plans for the park. It has nothing to do with taking their sweet time. Space Mountain also dates back to Walt but I'm sure the concept to reality for Magic Kingdom wasn't near as long as you think it should be. Heck, it opened in Disneyland just two years later. I'm sure @marni1971 can explain this better than I can.

aladdin2007

Well bringing it back to Disney.... Disney used to be a place for good food - Long before the dining plan, menu consolidation, and management's desire to make it another profit center.

Anyone remember the Concourse Steakhouse? Anyone remember when you could get a NY Strip at 50's Prime Time? Anyone remember when lunch at Le Cellier wasn't signature dining and the same menu all day?

Disney used to be known for its food, hense some of the classic 20+ year old cookbooks from WDW & DL. Its just not that way anymore.
(I do enjoy making the Chicken Picatta and several of the other Club 33 recipes)

Sad but true, enjoyed the Concourse and now that whole floor in the contemporary looks like crap im sorry to say.
I remember a lunch menu at le cellier that had great choices and the food was so good.
I remember the Akershus lunch buffet in the 90s that cost only 11.95
and the list goes on. Disney ruined it all and its just the way they want it.
oh and also rememebr when tables in wonderland was 25 bucks, now 150. insane.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Food is a big part of our holiday, its probably the biggest chunk of our budget. We used to enjoy planning where we would go, everyone had their input and it meant we all got something we enjoyed, it was part of the trip build up. We didnt mind booking cause [t added structure to the day. The standards of food from the outset were very good, yes we ate a signature eateries, but not every day, somedays wed have a main meal at lunch. But it was time out and battery recharge for commando time in the parks. The dining plan was fantastic at its inception then slowly the value was eroded and with the arrival of free dining menus changed. Homogenised dumbed down plain diner style dishes replaced more exotic fayre, we can argue the reason but bot the result. Great if u like mac n cheese pretty pish if you wanted something different from home.
Now the restaurants are too busy, staff over worked, food average, not bad in the better restaurants but Im sorry why would I pay Michelin star restaurant prices for chain outlet level food.
We always have a car so can escape the bubble and the prices, and we do, but I miss that element of our holiday. In our 11 days this trip well have 4 meals on Disney, and two of those will be because of the grandkids. Disney doesnt miss my money, I know, but as a consumer Im voting with my folding stuff.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
That's because the Imagineers went through quite a few concepts before getting to the ride that we got. Some examples being a walkthrough attraction and even something on Main Street in early plans for the park. It has nothing to do with taking their sweet time. Space Mountain also dates back to Walt but I'm sure the concept to reality for Magic Kingdom wasn't near as long as you think it should be. Heck, it opened in Disneyland just two years later. I'm sure @marni1971 can explain this better than I can.

There's Space Mountain concept art from when Walt was still around that looks pretty similar to what we got IMO.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Not sure if Marni can converse in bollox.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Limited creative talent to ensure quality controI through too many projects. Just saw on a web site that Haunted Mansion took over 10 years from concept to reality. I know Walt passed during the process, but not rushing the creative process enables the "Disney difference".

May that never change.

@jt04 using the Mansion in that context shows you don't have a clue I'm afraid.

Mike S

There's Space Mountain concept art from when Walt was still around that looks pretty similar to what we got IMO.
Yup. I found this one apparently from 1954, 21 years before it would open at MK.
tomorrowland_spaceport_web.jpg

I remember reading something that I think described what Walt's version would've been like but my searches have not gotten me anywhere. All I know is that what we eventually got was based somewhat on the Matterhorn.

Absimilliard

Usually it happens once or twice a year. We have to educate these children properly. None of them know the finer things, like dry aged beef.

Which leads me to wonder, why the hell can't i get a dry aged ribeye on property?

You know WDW food prices are out of control when I can go to Moishes (rated 6th best Steakhouse in the world, a 75 years institution in Montreal) and get a 45 days Dry Aged Rib Steak for cheaper than the steak at Le Cellier. For those wondering, the Montreal Rib Steak is the signature canadian cut of beef and would be called a Bone-In Ribeye in the US.

I remember when you could get a real Surf n Turf with a 6oz. Filet and 8oz. Lobster Tail at the Yachstman Steakhouse. 65$ back in 2003, but that's what the cast member 50% off dining coupon was for! Is Shula at the Dolphin dry-aged or wet-aged? All they say on their website is "aged to perfection.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Yes I remember all of those places at one time dining was a key part of the Disney Resort experience and the food was excellent and only had a modest premium compared to off property dining of similar quality. None of this Golden Corral quality at a Mortons price point

FigmentJedi

Yup. I found this one apparently from 1954, 21 years before it would open at MK.

I remember reading something that I think described what Walt's version would've been like but my searches have not gotten me anywhere. All I know is that what we eventually got was based somewhat on the Matterhorn.

It was called the Space Port. Was gonna be part of the 1967 Tomorrowland, but the technology just wasn't there yet.

DVC91

Slight update: been walking World Showcase all afternoon with the gf. Definitely noticed a ton (15 is probably a low estimate) of bachelorette parties, and an abundance of new graduates. Increasingly throughout the day I've seen exponentially more wasted people, either trying to get as much of F&G stand drinks as possible before it ends, or (if they're like any of us) kicking them back because they know what this gate is actually offering.

Saw a bunch of corporate casual CMs and security swarm the women's bathroom in the UK cause some girl was wasted, puking, and half asleep taking about "her birthday" and numerous wasted 'guests' falling over each other, screaming happy birthday songs to friends, or just speaking unfiltered to one another, regardless of what age or type of person hears it. I saw someone that was absolutely hammered hanging on their significant other and get a running start for the steps to the Mexico pavilion

Cast members have been friendly, though slightly off topic. One CM in Morocco pointed out a colleague and told me he was from Philly after I said I'm originally from there. I thought the CMs in WS were actually from those countries, but apparently only secondarily or tertiarily.

I was "randomly selected" for the metal detector at the gate for the third time in a row (I must be a suspicious looking fellow, with my nonexistent backpack, clean-shaven face, and generally happy disposition). Haven't gone on any rides, so I can't comment on the wait times, but the same shirt parties and Brazilian vacationers are starting to coalesce.

Pray for me, send me vibes, anything you or your selected deity do. It's kind of a wreck here today guest-wise.

donaldtoo

One of my favorite John Hench renderings! It's on the dust jacket cover of my copy of his book "Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show". For those of you out there that don't already have a copy, you should pick one up. Great insight into Walt and the original Imagineers.

wogwog

Slight update: been walking World Showcase all afternoon with the gf. Definitely noticed a ton (15 is probably a low estimate) of bachelorette parties, and an abundance of new graduates. Increasingly throughout the day I've seen exponentially more wasted people, either trying to get as much of F&G stand drinks as possible before it ends, or (if they're like any of us) kicking them back because they know what this gate is actually offering.

Saw a bunch of corporate casual CMs and security swarm the women's bathroom in the UK cause some girl was wasted, puking, and half asleep taking about "her birthday" and numerous wasted 'guests' falling over each other, screaming happy birthday songs to friends, or just speaking unfiltered to one another, regardless of what age or type of person hears it. I saw someone that was absolutely hammered hanging on their significant other and get a running start for the steps to the Mexico pavilion

Cast members have been friendly, though slightly off topic. One CM in Morocco pointed out a colleague and told me he was from Philly after I said I'm originally from there. I thought the CMs in WS were actually from those countries, but apparently only secondarily or tertiarily.

I was "randomly selected" for the metal detector at the gate for the third time in a row (I must be a suspicious looking fellow, with my nonexistent backpack, clean-shaven face, and generally happy disposition). Haven't gone on any rides, so I can't comment on the wait times, but the same shirt parties and Brazilian vacationers are starting to coalesce.

Pray for me, send me vibes, anything you or your selected deity do. It's kind of a wreck here today guest-wise.
So, your typical WS day.

tissandtully

On the disney social media front - here's something amusing from the parks blog. They wrote a photo essay about Old Key West Resort, including this photo:

mickeylamp578945.jpg

Take a look at the bottom. It looks like a 2 year old when crazy with the eraser brush! My question is: What were they trying to erase away? Chips in the paint? Stains on the couch?

I think you're reading too much into this, it's just an out or focus object in the foreground. I've stayed in that very exact room and it was in good shape for being a DVC room at the oldest resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom