Disney After Hours Event

natatomic

Both the Halloween and Christmas parties have special parades, stage shows, fireworks, and characters in themed attire. This event doesn't have any of that and (even at 50% off) costs the same as those parties.

Oh, I know why THIS after hours thing failed. I promise I'm not as dense as the powers that be who came up with this massive bomb!

I was wondering about the Pirates and Princess Parties, which did have those unique offerings (and were much more reasonably priced as all ththe parties were not even a full decade ago).

Edited, because grammar

Rodan75

Oh, I know why THIS after hours thing failed. I promise I'm not as dense as the powers that be who came up with this massive bomb!

I was wondering about the Pirates and Princess Parties, which did have those unique offerings (and were much more reasonably priced as all ththe parties were not even a full decade ago).

Edited, because grammar

you have a point, the villain event seemed to work over at DHS, the Lion King event seemed to work over at AK, not sure why the Pirates and Princess Parties would not have worked. Maybe it was something operationally that held them back or they didn't get the margin they were expecting.

Wendy Pleakley

you have a point, the villain event seemed to work over at DHS, the Lion King event seemed to work over at AK, not sure why the Pirates and Princess Parties would not have worked. Maybe it was something operationally that held them back or they didn't get the margin they were expecting.

I wonder if they needed to give those parties more time? People will plan trips around special events such as Halloween parties or Food & Wine festival, but that type of behaviour doesn't happen overnight.

lebeau

I wonder if they needed to give those parties more time? People will plan trips around special events such as Halloween parties or Food & Wine festival, but that type of behaviour doesn't happen overnight.

My take on it was that the Princess aspect was more popular than the Pirate party. Little girls and their moms turned up. But pirates didn't draw the boys in and they may have been actively driven away by the girly half of the event. And only so many little girls and their moms will go to a late night upcharge event.

Last edited:

BernardandBianca

I can tell you first hand as an attendee of the second night that 28 attractions were open. We got to go on 19 attractions.

According to the WDW website, the MK has 41 attractions as of today. Quick math says 28/41 is about 69% of the attractions were open. Not all, but certainly not 1/3.

parkhopper1213

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but I heard a rumor about a new event coming to the Magic Kingdom. It would be called "Disney After Hours" and will be starting April 14. It would be an after hours event, with select attractions open for three hours after park close. Heard that it would be for a total of 3,000 people each night, and would cost $150. It sounds to me like an extra magic hours night, but open to anyone. Bookings are supposed to start April 6, but I don't know if this is true since it seems to be a really quick turnaround.
Disney jacks up the price of an annual pass and then wants to charge us for after hours? Boy this is going to be the last year we do Disney.

WDW1974

This epic fail (do the kewl kidz still say that or is it soooo 2012?) by Georgie K and Company just gets more laughable ... still charging $149, still refusing to cancel remaining dates despite not coming close to 1,000 tix sold for ANY date, all while giving freebies to random Guests (so far I've heard this has happened at moderate and DVC resorts) and now desperately trying to get APers and DVCers to buy it for the 'low, low' price of 'just' $75 a person.

I do wonder how well they are doing with their $69 breakfast with 90 minutes to ride three attractions before everyone else or their $249 Boma breakfast ...

Just to be crystal clear, I think anyone who buys into these offers is part of the problem.

WDW1974

Lol well I'm going to Hawaii also. I've seen the national parks and other us treasures/vacation spots many times. I have a super high energy level and I appreciate the multitude of offerings and the stimulating themed environment. And it's a little bit nostalgia. Sure I would prefer to go to Tokyo Disney or other foreign vacation spots but at this point my diet is still fairly restrictive from major health issues in years past, and I'm worried what I'll eat. Trust me the plan is to continue to improve my health and diversify. If it helps you sleep at night I prefer Hawaii specifically Maui or Kauai over Disney or anywhere else for that matter. Also I rented Dvc points so I'm not over paying too much ;)

I'm sorry if it sounded too judgmental ... but I honestly have trouble justify visiting WDW when I pay next to nothing and get family and friends in for free. It has gotten that bad.

And when I think of a true destination ... like Hawaii ... or, yes, TDR ... I never cease to be shocked by people choosing to visit the stalest most overrated Disney resort of them all.

PhotoDave219

This epic fail (do the kewl kidz still say that or is it soooo 2012?) by Georgie K and Company just gets more laughable ... still charging $149, still refusing to cancel remaining dates despite not coming close to 1,000 tix sold for ANY date, all while giving freebies to random Guests (so far I've heard this has happened at moderate and DVC resorts) and now desperately trying to get APers and DVCers to buy it for the 'low, low' price of 'just' $75 a person.

I do wonder how well they are doing with their $69 breakfast with 90 minutes to ride three attractions before everyone else or their $249 Boma breakfast ...

Just to be crystal clear, I think anyone who buys into these offers is part of the problem.

This would sell out if it was $30/person.

Dad 2 M & M

It would
Well, if youre giving it passholders for $75... wouldnt it make more sense to keep it a purchasable perk for on-property guests only? But pricing more in-line with what the E-Ride nights used to be?
It would..$30 for property guest, $50 for those not staying at a Disney Resort? Maybe?

I like the purchasable perk....and others may as well...and what would become of EMH?

PhotoDave219

It would
It would..$30 for property guest, $50 for those not staying at a Disney Resort? Maybe?

I like the purchasable perk....and others may as well...and what would become of EMH?

Honestly? Get rid of it and go with E-Ride nights for $30. You cant keep EMH evenings and then expect people to pay for one for $150.... someone isnt thinking there.

You want EMH? Keep it one hour in the morning.

PhotoDave219

But this would not meet the required Gross Margin. Now if they could find a lower Gross Margin acceptable and be happy with the incremental dollars, this could be a reasonably priced upcharge event.

I'm sure that someone will be taken to the woodshed and get their paddlin.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"who gets harmed..." I understand what you are saying. I would say that regular day guests could be harmed. Instead of the park being open to midnight, the park closes and hour earlier to accommodate the 3 hour event. Some might argue it is only an hour, but I would counter that at the end of a regulary scheduled evening that last hour from 11 to 12 can really be a great time to get on rides.

By closing an hour earlier there are more people in the park. plus the additional special event guests. For us that end of evening time really can have impact.
Agreed. There is some detrimental impact to the regular day guests. Even if it's just a lost hour. Not a huge harm but a valid point.

The loss is that it's a poor concept. If there was special entertainment it would be more of a draw. Lost opportunity all around
To be blunt the concept sucked. Plain and simple. I'm glad it failed. Maybe they go back to the drawing board and come up with a better plan for this type of event or just scrap the idea completely. Either way is fine by me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom