Disney After Hours Event

danv3

You can't price it higher than the Halloween Party and Christmas Party, offer less and expect people to go.

Have Halloween and Christmas party prices come out yet? Who says these are priced higher? :greedy:

(In reality, I don't think party prices will reach $150 this year, but given the original pricing for this event, I could at least see the parties at $100)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Honestly? Get rid of it and go with E-Ride nights for $30. You cant keep EMH evenings and then expect people to pay for one for $150.... someone isnt thinking there.

You want EMH? Keep it one hour in the morning.

Disney is still looking to do away with EMH entirely, first the nights, then the mornings (this breakfast is a test balloon to partially gauge interest in paying for it).

AEfx

Again, people want to forget that WDW used to have longer hours at all its parks for all its Guests. And a one-day ticket wasn't an obscene $135 a day (yes, including park-hopping because two parks barely have any ... attractions).

Absolutely. It's almost criminal to me, because that's my favorite time in the parks. Besides the fact the parks are just so much prettier at night, it also used to be that you could either get there before opening to be able to hit some rides before the crowds come, or wait until late.

Some might say "well there weren't a lot of people so that's why" but having later hours meant less folks were riding but still shopping/eating etc. Not like now where you are lucky that they leave Casey's open in the last few hours the park is open. For poor "on site" trapped folks, the only option is to go back to the vending machines since resort food is generally long closed by then.

Back when if the park closed at 11:00 and you were at the entrance by 10:59:59 they let you get in line to get the "last ride" on every ride. And all rides were open all day. Both were a thing. Now with all the "select hours" BS, folks wouldn't even think to expect that. You are lucky if they let you get in line at all without an appointment three months out.

cslafferty

Have Halloween and Christmas party prices come out yet? Who says these are priced higher? :greedy:

(In reality, I don't think party prices will reach $150 this year, but given the original pricing for this even, I could at least see the parties at $100)
I think that would be a disaster. Those parties are mostly attended by families, who can't afford to shell out an additional $100/person. Most of the comments I've read on this forum from people who would entertain the idea of shelling out $150 to be able to ride without waiting give the impression they are talking about themselves and their significant other - not bringing their whole family. I don't know many families of 4 or more that can afford to pay for a Disney vacation and still be able to swing an up charge event that's $100 per person.

AEfx

Oh i can answer that: There is ZERO interest in paying for a perk you currently get for price of staying on property & admission

Except from the Disney Mom's - the same ones that thought it would just be delightful to book FP three months out, and how magical it would be for Dad to not have to take out his pesky room card to pay for things when he could wear a stylish gadget.

Somehow, even though pairing a meal and park time is utter waste either way - you either rush through the breakfast or get little time to experience the attractions - I have no doubt they could spin it some way to sell it to the "wouldn't you pay just a bit more for extra magic..." from the folks that are already forking $400 a night for a standard room at the Poly...

WDW1974

I just returned from a trip to Paris and DLP. The focus of the trip was to see Paris (which was incredible!), but since we were right there, decided to do 2 1/2 days at Disneyland. The weather was chilly and damp which didn't help, however I was very disappointed. Security was tight everywhere including uniformed personnel with assault rifles and dogs. Although they have pumped money into the parks, some areas were still desperately in need of a refurb. Far too many of the guests were extremely rude...it was not uncommon to get run into by other guests and I got physically pushed twice. The World of Disney and Disney Store were smaller and messy... toys on the floor and shelves were not kept organized. We stayed at Sequoia Lodge which was very outdated...CMs were great, but the resort needs a complete refurb. Some of the furnishings were tattered and 2 of the 3 elevators were out of service. Sorry for the long post, but I can say I'm glad I went to DLP just to say I was there, but would never return. If I go to an overseas Disney Park again, I think I would choose Tokyo.

Sounds like a typical WDW regular's reaction to DLP, no offense intended (often I do intend offense to be included).

You can't blame Disney for security when there have been horrific terrorist attacks in Paris and Brussels since November. They were there to make sure you were safe. They were there when I visited just after New Year's and didn't bother me at all. At least they are pros. They aren't 77-year-old Frank from Pittsburgh going through your diaper bag at MK. And you sure can't blame Disney for the weather for that matter. Today it was hot as hell and humid in FL, not Disney's fault.

You also picked a terrible time to visit (much like a first-timer visiting The Corpses of EPCOT and The Disney-MGM Studios now). Too much closed. Too much construction.

Rude Guests? They are all over every Disney Resort, except maybe TDR (although the cute office girlz squealing for Duffy do annoy).

Sequoia was wonderful when I stayed in January. It was thoroughly redone between 2011-2013. The elevators looked bad, though, so I'll give you that one.

WoD never looked half as ghetto as the WDW version does regularly and as I saw Anaheim's look at times last summer.

I think you'd likely be happier with the familiar ...Disney's Swamp Kingdom.

danv3

I think that would be a disaster. Those parties are mostly attended by families, who can't afford to shell out an additional $100/person. Most of the comments I've read on this forum from people who would entertain the idea of shelling out $150 to be able to ride without waiting give the impression they are talking about themselves and their significant other - not bringing their whole family. I don't know many families of 4 or more that can afford to pay for a Disney vacation and still be able to swing an up charge event that's $100 per person.

I don't think Disney cares if the average family of four can afford the Halloween party, as long as there are some above average families (or first timers, or international guests, or adults with no kids) who can afford it. If there's one thing that's clear, "affordability" is not a word in Disney's vocabulary.

cslafferty

Interesting read as Deb's site tends to be very positive about almost anything at WDW. Of course, the reviewer didn't say "This is a terrible waste of money, don't do it." They always tend to not get there ...
I found it amusing that after paying all that money she found herself standing in line the last 15 min! And realizing that 90 min.+ 3 attractions + no waiting = lots of time on your hands with nothing to do.

AEfx

And it really is a shame. Because the parties were pretty much OK with most of us to begin with. Yes, I'm the first to complain about operating hours (see above) but as it was only at the MK, and only during limited times of the year, and there used to be so much added value with truly unique offerings, when it was like 36 bucks, it wasn't crazy. In terms of a vacation budget, you could do one of the parties for the price of dropping a single sit-down meal from the plan. Felt well worth it, and back then - you got a lot more, too.

At $150 for this? They must really be banking on the "trapped on property" folks - because if you've got a car, for that price you can get a 2-Day Universal ticket. (And for $50 more, park to park.)

PinnySmart

Ok now I'm mad. Stupidly I paid full price for a ticket on Monday for Thursday night's event then Tuesday they announced the 50% discount for AP and DVC. Serves me right for supporting this money grab but it's been a long time since I've felt like I had the MK all to myself. I go a lot but I always seem to miss the slower days. I emailed and asked for the discounted amount to be refunded but I'm not holding my breath. Again it serves me right, you all can go ahead and say it lol. I think since I have an AP and DVC I should get 50% off for each and my ticket should be gratis. Who am I kidding. I feel like Disney really (insert any past tense 4 letter word here) me this time.
Leaving the after hours event. Disney refunded half of my money so I ended up paying the DVC discounted rate. Absolutely worth every cent. I was the only live body in the Haunted Mansion and was able to ride 7DMT 11 times. I wish everyone could experience a night like tonight.. I even rode all 3 spinners. I was able to enjoy everything I love about the park without feeling like I was packed in a can of sardines.

KikoKea

Leaving the after hours event. Disney refunded half of my money so I ended up paying the DVC discounted rate. Absolutely worth every cent. I was the only live body in the Haunted Mansion and was able to ride 7DMT 11 times. I wish everyone could experience a night like tonight.. I even rode all 3 spinners. I was able to enjoy everything I love about the park without feeling like I was packed in a can of sardines.
Don't feel stupid!! You had a great time and it sounds like you would have been happy, even if you had ended up paying full price. &DMT 11 times- Whew! What an awesome evening in your own personal park. Glad they refunded the money, though. Good for them. :)

RSoxNo1

Disney is still looking to do away with EMH entirely, first the nights, then the mornings (this breakfast is a test balloon to partially gauge interest in paying for it).
It really is beyond short sighted. This is one of the few actual perks of staying on property. It has value and I wouldn't be surprised if hotel occupancy rates dropped if the eliminated EMH.

natatomic

It really is beyond short sighted. This is one of the few actual perks of staying on property. It has value and I wouldn't be surprised if hotel occupancy rates dropped if the eliminated EMH.

Many people think they would instead offer additional fastpasses for those staying on property. It would be a perk for many, and it would cost the company roughly $0 to offer it.

I know Disney looks foolish for this blatant cash grab that is "Disney After Hours," but I don't think they're so foolish as to think they can eliminate the free perk of EMH without losing a good chunk of resort guests unless they give them some alternative worthwhile incentive.

Jon81uk

Many people think they would instead offer additional fastpasses for those staying on property. It would be a perk for many, and it would cost the company roughly $0 to offer it.

Except there isn't enough attraction capacity to give out any extra FPs. Except at MK, most people can't get a 4th FP anyway, so if you allow pre-booking of fourth FPs it shuts more people out.

natatomic

Except there isn't enough attraction capacity to give out any extra FPs. Except at MK, most people can't get a 4th FP anyway, so if you allow pre-booking of fourth FPs it shuts more people out.
Oh, I agree with you. Options are definitely already limited as it is by guaranteeing everyone three FPs. But it would also intensify the appeal of staying on property if there aren't any good FPs left (or any left at all) for anyone who DOESN'T stay on property.

And if non-resort guests can't get good FPs, it would make paid EMH look better and better to them as well so that they still have the option of riding their favorite rides with less wait.

Brad Bishop

FastPass was a good idea. You're making the line virtual and keeping it in the park.

FP+, not so much. Now you still have a virtual line but you're extending it outside the park and for months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom