New Star Wars live stage show coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios this Spring

note2001

Again, thanks for getting us this video so quickly @wdwmagic .

As others have noted, this show is genuinely embarrassing. It looks and feels like it belongs in a state fair, not a world class theme park.

I think we need to get Figment over to DHS and help these Imagineers out...
My bet is imagineering didn't have anything to do with this show at all. Seems more like an afterthought that was passed off to a marketing person. From a fly on the wall (note I do not speak fly, so I may have this translated wrong):

"Come up with a stage show, you can use any video clips from the existing movies that you want, but don't expect the characters to do much acting, we want to use every day cast members who fit the costumes."

"What's that? Darth Maul, spinning light saber dance? Sure, guess we can toss that one in if it'll make or break the show."

Disneyson

Yikes... I don't post often, but... This show is remarkably terrible.There was a desperate want for face characters and a loose plot in here. Even like, an actor doing a Princess Bride shtick and "telling the story" would have been nice.

No Name

Nice highlight reel. When does the stage show begin?

Seriously though, that was bad. First of all, it is usually quite difficult to see those screens during the day. The order of what was shown makes little sense, and the clips were too rapid-fire, so I can't even give a nod to those who put the screen portion together. But regardless, the whole thing was just dumb. Hardly much time of characters on the stage. I saw more going on backstage than on-stage, which is enitrely another issue. There was absolutely no story and no plot. And I can sort of understand, since this was the first performance, but that was some pretty bad acting by a few of the characters. The walks onto the stage were lame. Where was the energy? And like another poster said, what the heck is with that Michael Jackson pose by Darth Vader?

On the positive side... I appreciate that it isn't just based around the new characters. I'm glad the center screen comes down between shows. The Captain Phasma march, while not really a part of this show, provides a nice bit of action. I guess the show is better than nothing, but I was really expecting something decent.

I'm trying to pin down exactly why this was so bad. Did the show creators think that seeing famous scenes would create enough of a nostalgic feeling to carry the show? Did these short stage appearances save money, by allowing for lower-paid actors, or less rehearsing time? Were they the same actors changing in and out of costumes? That seemed likely, especially with the constant moving around backstage... until almost all of them appeared together, at one time, at the end!

It's usually easy to blame these kind of blunders on a low budget, but I really can't see that as the problem here. It would've cost the same amount or less to have fewer characters and maybe no screens, but an actual plot. And that would've resulted in a much better show. I hate to bash people, but if they put me in charge of this, I could've done far better. Without a doubt.

I fear that this is truly the fault of the imagineers who led this project. Which has me very concerned for Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, that's for sure. I actually thought Dream Along With Mickey was a pretty good show, and now I have no confidence that MRFF won't be worse.

Last edited:

sgtpeppah

wow. this show is so embarrassing. They couldn't cobble together a small plot linking the characters to each other? The rerecorded Yoda dialogue could've carried it. This is so similar to that upper deck show on the DCL for star wars day, quick character arrivals and movie clips.
I was just about to say the same thing, and even that awful show was better than this disaster.

hpyhnt 1000

Echo the other sentiments on how underwhelming this is. Between the lackluster Launch Bay and this stage show, I'd say they're 0-2 on Star Wars additions with the new fireworks show yet to debut.

Just think - we have another 3-5 years of this kind of "filler" stuff before any meaningful additions open. Gonna feel like an eternity if this is the quality level.

jrhwdw

Echo the other sentiments on how underwhelming this is. Between the lackluster Launch Bay and this stage show, I'd say they're 0-2 on Star Wars additions with the new fireworks show yet to debut.

Just think - we have another 3-5 years of this kind of "filler" stuff before any meaningful additions open. Gonna feel like an eternity if this is the quality level.
I think Symphony was a success so maybe 1-2?
As for MRFF, I am not worried yet because of the concept art. I will admit that the number of dancers looks a little low in the art but DAWM had 3-4 pairs of dancers. So, lower than CTS which was made before Walt's 100th Birthday along with other shows during that period. I would think that DHS and MK has different production teams.

It will be interesting how the public views SW: AGFFA. See if any changes come with the public input. Sounded like they liked it at the end of wdwmagic's video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom