Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Launchpad McQuack

Another thought is that Bob Iger could buy The Walking Dead franchise and re-theme the ToT with Rick Grimes and his crew going through a time warp and doing their best to mop up the zombie apocalypse in the 1930's. They could sell baseball bats, crossbows and other such paraphernalia in the gift shop.

Nah, Disney already owns Marvel Zombies, so if they're going to base it on comic book zombies, might as well have it be decomposing versions of superheroes trying to eat you.

Mike S

I think you're wrong. In 1956 Walt Disney presented an episode on his Disneyland TV show entitled "The Plausible Impossible". It's the job of the Disney story tellers to make any and all stories they tell seem to be completely plausible no matter how impossible it might be based upon our knowledge of reality.

I'm confident that the Disney Imagineers are up to the challenge of making a better ToT with GotG!
There's a difference between something like having guests go down a waterfall to the time of pirates and then go up a waterfall back to the present (DL version), and taking a ride that already works perfectly well and shoving in characters to push merchandise.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a difference between something like having guests go down a waterfall to the time of pirates and then go up a waterfall back to the present (DL version), and taking a ride that already works perfectly well and shoving in characters to push merchandise.

What do you expect Chappie is the second coming of Paul Pressler it's all about MERCHANDISING!!!!

PizzaPlanet

I believe Spirit said that the tower would become the Collector's mansion. So much of the exterior and even a lot of the interior would remain the same. If this happened I feel one of the biggest things would be removing the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign which in that case they can go ahead and remove my heart as well.
This still doesn't explain the 1930s, or the fact that the guardians haven't even been to earth yet in the movies.

doctornick

I don't want this to happen in Florida, but everyone assumes they are recreating a scene in GoTG. What if - god forbid - they just use the IP as a jumping point and do something loosely tied to it instead of recreating a scene from the movie?

Yeah. There's tons of things wrong with this idea, but the "there wasn't a fall down an elevator shaft in the movie" or "watch there be on in the second movie" comments are odd. Regardless of whether they are improperly shoehorning a, IP where it doesn't belong or creating an attraction from scratch, I wouldn't want them to restrict themselves to just recreating something from a movie. In fact, I'd actually prefer to use the characters to create a new and different adventure for us to experience.

AEfx

For whatever reason people cannot look past the end of their nose and see why this is bad.

You are damn right people are bent out of shape and any real fan who truly knows what makes Disney special would be as well.

So if one doesn't become a yelling screaming cry baby they are not a "real fan", LOL?

That said, I didn't say I support it. I personally just don't particularly care either way.

Cue posts blaming me for being "the problem" and causing this all to happen...blah blah various misdirected fanboi rage.

Phil12

Why not retheme the Mona Lisa?

It's not like she represents the current status of beauty. The Louvre could increase attendance by a retheme to incorporate Kate Hudson.
This is Disney we're talking about. Attractions can always be plussed:
upload_2016-3-25_15-5-30.jpeg

FigmentForver96

M
So if one doesn't become a yelling screaming cry baby they are not a "real fan", LOL?

That said, I didn't say I support it. I personally just don't particularly care either way.

Cue posts blaming me for being "the problem" and causing this all to happen...blah blah various misdirected fanboi rage.
Minus the extreme few, nobody is being a "yelling screaming cry baby". I said real fans care when Disney makes choices that negatively impacts the theme, mood and atmosphere of a land and/or ride. I also stand by that statement. People are upset because Disney is once again proving that they do not care about details or the little things, but trying to fit the biggest IP of NOW into the parks. If it means taking an attraction that is considered a classic among theme park fans, and arguably one of the crown jewels of Disney imaginering, then so be it...they could care less.

After 72 pages if you do not understand the issue here then there is no point in trying to explain it because you never will.

PhotoDave219

Correct. Thats what I've learned from DisneyTwinker.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think you're wrong. In 1956 Walt Disney presented an episode on his Disneyland TV show entitled "The Plausible Impossible". It's the job of the Disney story tellers to make any and all stories they tell seem to be completely plausible no matter how impossible it might be based upon our knowledge of reality.

I'm confident that the Disney Imagineers are up to the challenge of making a better ToT with GotG!

I agree with the first paragraph, but completely disagree with the second one.

The problem is, if they are trying to overlay one of the most highly rated and successful attractions in WDW's history...that tells me they have a small budget and bad guidance, as a major overhaul would cost a lot of money and IMO, enough to not be worth just building a different attraction.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This isn't the imagineering forum, so I won't go into detail. But a variation of that scene, in a new prison, the escape being through the show building, a pre-show giving everyone a glimpse of the GotG characters, props throughout and ending on a spaceship escape (being the RnRc vehicles) makes way more sense for the RnRc.

I only say that to highlight again how it makes no sense even if that's the scene they want to replicate.

I don't know, we'll see what happens. This is just genuinely maddening.

I do think a RnRC overlay would be better. However, I keep thinking about how excited we would all be if GotG were getting a stand alone, novel attraction. We'd all be conjecturing about ride layout, tech used, desperately wondering if blue prints were going to be leaked, and drooling over perspective concept art. Instead, we're just discussing the myriad ways this concept sets a new bar for stupidity.

Stevie Amsterdam

It's threads like these that make me forever jealous of the Disney Parks overseas: We'll never get anything like Mystic Manor, Sinbad's Storybook Voyage, or Journey to the Center of the Earth-because us ADHD-riddled Americans apparently need all our rides to be centered around a movie.

Here in Europe we're quite jealous of your Splash Mountain ;) And Toy Story Midway Mania, Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids are more than welcome too!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's simply humorous to note that folks are so bat-crap bent out of shape about a non-Disney IP possibly leaving when most of the same folks spend all their time complaining about outside IP invading WDW..

Perhaps in this case it's the rare perfection of IP, story, setting, building, ride system and execution all coming together perfectly to greater than the sum of its parts. Much like Splash Mountain.

But remove one cog of the machine and the other parts can't make up for it.

Mike S

I do think a RnRC overlay would be better. However, I keep thinking about how excited we would all be if GotG were getting a stand alone, novel attraction. We'd all be conjecturing about ride layout, tech used, desperately wondering if blue prints were going to be leaked, and drooling over perspective concept art. Instead, we're just discussing the myriad ways this concept sets a new bar for stupidity.
Don't you just love modern Disney?
Perhaps in this case it's the rare perfection of IP, story, setting, building, ride system and execution all coming together perfectly to greater than the sum of its parts. Much like Splash Mountain.

But remove one cog of the machine and the other parts can't make up for it.
Just like another much loved ride that's based on what used to be an outside IP: Indiana Jones Adventure.

TalkingHead

I think my statement was rather clear.

I personally have always found it lacking. I didn't see it until it was a few years old and folks talked about it as the second coming - after the first time I was like, "That's it?" I didn't realize it was just a very nicely gussied-up drop as the entire point of the ride. Given all the epic comparisons it got, I assumed there was an actual creepy ride somewhere, and then the drop was at the end (like Splash Mountain). The trinket room at the top isn't even particularly neat - it seems like an after-thought (and I believe they simply don't even have that at the other versions of the attraction).

That's why when folks talk about the last great attractions built at WDW, it's really Splash Mountain to me - because ToT is very nicely themed, but it's a rather limited experience.

"Huh."

Wasn't a question. More a statement of condescension mixed with disbelief.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom