New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ToTBellHop

The last time we got a "real" nighttime spectacular (meaning not one of these seasonal shows DHS puts on) was back in the late 90's, so it's tough to tell.

@marni1971 could probably answer what they did back then for Fantasmic and RoE, but if that would still apply today is anyone's guess.
Recent new spectaculars at DL have not soft opened more than a few days out. You don't really test and adjust in guest view. You announce your opening and maybe have a few days of media and VIP previews and then just open. T&A for the show has been going on for months now. We are not too far out. I'm not entirely convinced Tiffins can open with the rest unless they really start hustling as I've heard March/April as the general timeframe for the show (I'm sure by now there is an actual date selected).

The plan is for dining packages and FP+ for the entire viewing area. Thankfully DAK has good food.

Cody5294

Recent new spectaculars at DL have not soft opened more than a few days out. You don't really test and adjust in guest view. You announce your opening and maybe have a few days of media and VIP previews and then just open. T&A for the show has been going on for months now. We are not too far out. I'm not entirely convinced Tiffins can open with the rest unless they really start hustling as I've heard March/April as the general timeframe for the show (I'm sure by now there is an actual date selected).

The plan is for dining packages and FP+ for the entire viewing area. Thankfully DAK has good food.
There's going to be no stand by for ROL?

raymusiccity

ROL, Tiffins restaurant and the night safaris all say Spring 2016. I imagine all these will open on the same day. I'm betting late May as that seems to be a popular timeframe for Disney to open new things.

They've always played fast and loose with what Disney considers 'Springtime'! I guess they officially have until June 21st to open in the Spring :)

TTA94

I'm curious how the FPs will work? For WoC at DCA I believe they distribute them the day of and go by colored sections?

TTA94

Well, all of DL fastpasses are day of.

I know they are. So for RoL everyone will be able to book way in advance and be assigned a section in the viewing area? Sounds like it's going be a nightmare getting FPs.. But I'm almost thinking the standing area may not be so bad not getting misted by that nasty water! lol

Last edited:

mm52200

Do we think Rivers of Light will operate FP like other shows already at WDW being that it's one of your initial three and connected to the system OR will it be like Fantasmic and World of Color at DLR that aren't connected to the rest of the FP system there? Hopefully it's the latter.

DisneyRoy

Do we think Rivers of Light will operate FP like other shows already at WDW being that it's one of your initial three and connected to the system OR will it be like Fantasmic and World of Color at DLR that aren't connected to the rest of the FP system there? Hopefully it's the latter.

I'm pretty sure it would be like the rest of WDW fast passes. There's no reason to think just this one would be different than the rest.

Jonathan_Tremaine

I hope so.

ToTBellHop

My understanding is that it would be one of your three FP+ selections. One of the major reasons this show was approved was to quickly pull guests away from the other three parks, including their FP+ inventory. Seeing this show will require that you either book a dining package or use all of your FPs that day at DAK.

That's not to say there is no "stand-by". You can stand anywhere around Discovery Bay and get some semblance of a view, but the viewing areas under construction, as far as I know, will be entirely pre-reserved to prevent hoards of people converging there. You'll notice the walkways have not been widened very much.

mm52200

My understanding is that it would be one of your three FP+ selections. One of the major reasons this show was approved was to quickly pull guests away from the other three parks, including their FP+ inventory. Seeing this show will require that you either book a dining package or use all of your FPs that day at DAK.

That's not to say there is no "stand-by". You can stand anywhere around Discovery Bay and get some semblance of a view, but the viewing areas under construction, as far as I know, will be entirely pre-reserved to prevent hoards of people converging there. You'll notice the walkways have not been widened very much.
Cool Disney, really cool. That's gonna go over really well.

DisneyRoy

Not a huge fan of that decision but it makes sense based in the size of the seating area there. That being said I'm always struggling to find a third fast pass in this park anyways. Safaris, Everest, and....a hunt for the third. Get there early enough like we do and you have the park to yourself for a while anyways.

ToTBellHop

It works for Wishes, IllumiNations, Fantasmic, and both parades at MK. Why would it be any different here?
Exactly. It should surprise no one. As I said, those without reservations will be welcome to stand along the banks of Discovery Bay if they can find a break in the trees. Also, if there are multiple shows like we imagine, I could see later shows being Stand-by only like 2nd showings of Fantasmic!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It works for Wishes, IllumiNations, Fantasmic, and both parades at MK. Why would it be any different here?
Because for all the above there's ample perfect views without being shoe horned into using their multi billion dollar system. This show and its viewing is very different. And it could be its downfall if implemented.

Or are they that desperate to actually force people to leave other parks and go to DAK?

Cesar R M

I hope disney hires enough CMS and installs barriers.. because crowds can get VERY PUSHY in areas they should be walking around.

Fox&Hound

I'll be very interested to see how AK touring patterns and fast pass/mm+ patterns change once this show and Avatar are up and running.

I still think the bulk of guests will show up in the later afternoon/evening to experience this park at night (which draws crowds away from the other parks at night- hence WDW management hits their goal). I could see fast passes looking like this: avatar banshee ride, avatar boat ride, and night show or avatar ride (have to pick one), Everest/Safari, night show. The fact remains, is that by adding a night show and almost forcing people to choose it as a fast pass, it means that people can't hit all of the rides they want to as easily, thus forcing people to stay in the park longer. I'm still one of the biggest proponents that WDW needs to add 1-2 smaller rides to AK but I never thought about how people who use their fast passes won't be able to get it all done. Or, people will go in the morning and come back in the evening.

Either way, this show and Avatar will significantly affect where WDW guests will spend their evenings and I hope and pray the other parks will feel less crowded as a result. Even the new Disney Springs with its excellent dining options may help with this too. =)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom