Tickets now available for the 'Force Friday Merchandise Event' at Downtown Disney

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
STUPID-PEOPLE-STUPID-3okf15.jpg

Brad Bishop

This is a regular occurrence at SWW. You pay money to have first run at limited-edition items.

I've never done it. It always seemed kind of dumb to me. Still, plenty of people line up and pay so that they can get into a merchandise line and buy first.

BernardandBianca

So, it's a $50 cover charge for the privilege of being among the first to buy merchandise. o_O

Umm… Can we stop having events where we have to pay money to be the first to spend money?

So long as people are willing to spend the money to attend, why stop or even slow down. As the quote goes, there's one born every minute.

Biff215

I agree that this sounds bad and I wouldn't pay to shop early, but at least it's one of those events that doesn't otherwise affect you unless you choose to participate. Clearly there's a market for it, so I can't really blame Disney for capitalizing on the opportunity. It bothers me more when you have to pay extra to experience something that is offered for free later, like the Christmas parade and fireworks.

Ignohippo

Well, I'm sure if these early shoppers get the merchandise up on Ebay quickly, they will get their $50 back in no time from the people who live too far away to come and spend that $50 themselves.

Meh. Every other retailer will have the same stuff that night, so there's no reason to spend the extra $50 and there won't be that much demand for the merchandise.

Siren

There is nothing stupid about it, IMO. Time is money and I don't have time or the patience to sleep on the curb and wait in line for hours and then possibly risk getting trampled on for toys and stuff, it's way too much hassle for me.

I know one guy who is an avid collector of all things Star Wars and he is going to pay the fee and arrange for someone to shop for him. Again, there is Target, Walmart, ToysRUS and Amazon.com and it's free -- so everyone has a chance at getting something.

The nature of shopping has evolved so much -- in this day, if you want something -- you have to snag it quick before the black market sellers buy it and list it on Ebay or Amazon for 10 times the price -- so, that $50 fee is not so bad.

If you really want to get yourself or your kids the hottest Star Wars toys for Christmas, this may be a great opportunity to do so. I don't begrudge anyone who pays the fee to go.

Remember, it was just last year when parents were paying thousands of dollars for Elsa dresses and dolls! Happy Star Wars shopping!

tribbleorlfl

If you really want to get yourself or your kids the hottest Star Wars toys for Christmas, this may be a great opportunity to do so. I don't begrudge anyone who pays the fee to go.

Remember, it was just last year when parents were paying thousands of dollars for Elsa dresses and dolls! Happy Star Wars shopping!
The difference being Disney and Mattel greatly underestimated the demand for Frozen merch and took several months to ramp up manufacturing to restock the shelves.

You better believe there are warehouses filled to the brim with merch ready for next Friday, and I'm sure they are still producing so I see no way there will be any merch shortages between now and Christmas.

In addition, many of the SW forums I've been on aren't really clamoring for the first wave of merch. Many SW collectors, while excited for the film, aren't impressed with the scuplts, packaging or variety. The only things I see stronger interest in is the customizable multi-blade sabre collection and the remote controlled bb8 (even that isn't the high dollar version built by the designers of the actual droid).

I honestly think this whole Force Friday, and not just the paid event, is going to bite speculators in the rear end.

Siren

The difference being Disney and Mattel greatly underestimated the demand for Frozen merch and took several months to ramp up manufacturing to restock the shelves.

You better believe there are warehouses filled to the brim with merch ready for next Friday, and I'm sure they are still producing so I see no way there will be any merch shortages between now and Christmas.

In addition, many of the SW forums I've been on aren't really clamoring for the first wave of merch. Many SW collectors, while excited for the film, aren't impressed with the scuplts, packaging or variety. The only things I see stronger interest in is the customizable multi-blade sabre collection and the remote controlled bb8 (even that isn't the high dollar version built by the designers of the actual droid).

I honestly think this whole Force Friday, and not just the paid event, is going to bite speculators in the rear end.
Yeah.... you might be right about that. Frozen caught Disney off guard and it took them a long time to meet demand.

Disney, don't be cheap about this, at least have some refreshments, a raffle and some Stormtroopers present. I agree that Disney should make an event of it. ToysRUs in New York Times Square is having an event with *no* fee.

DisneyRoy

This is a regular occurrence at SWW. You pay money to have first run at limited-edition items.

I've never done it. It always seemed kind of dumb to me. Still, plenty of people line up and pay so that they can get into a merchandise line and buy first.

I agree. But at least the SWW are limited edition items. These are just regular old toys that like others have stated I can get at Toys R Us without having to pay $50. Except for the "free" bag. Which I highly doubt will be worth $50.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom