Tickets now available for the 'Force Friday Merchandise Event' at Downtown Disney

TP2000

Wow. Must not have sold like they thought. Makes sense though. The Disney Store retail locations are giving out an exclusive pin to the first 100 purchasers, and that sounds better to me than paying $50 for this haha

This appears to be driven by the rabid response to the Anaheim version.

I looked at the Disney Merchandise registration website for this event on Monday. The Anaheim event had sold out and tickets were no longer available, but there were still tickets available for the Orlando event. Tickets were still available for the Orlando event on Tuesday too. Then on Wednesday morning they announced that they were giving up on trying to limit this to registered shoppers and throwing it open to everyone on both coasts.

The Downtown Disney store at Disneyland Resort is now reported to have changed its operating hours and it will stay open all night long on Thursday into Friday morning, staying open roughly 25 hours from Midnight Thursday to 1:00AM Saturday (when they normally close 1 hour after Disneyland park closing).

I have a hunch there will be a festive yet manageable crowd at the Orlando event, while the Anaheim event will be total pandemonium.

This is a weird last-minute change to be sure, but it appears to be due to the Anaheim situation. The Orlando location is doing the same thing for corporate consistency and/or the fabricated perception that this is a nationwide event instead of just a Southern California phenom.

Last edited:

Siren

I guess this didn't sell well at all. There is plenty of competition from all of the other retailers and it is one of the slowest times of the year at WDW and everyone is headed back to school -- so, the interest in toys is way too early. I'm starting to wonder if Star Wars fandom extends beyond what we see during Star Wars weekend.

Do the people who paid $50.00 get there money back?
Yes, the people who purchased tickets will receive a full refund, plus they will still get the free messenger bag and will be able to enter the store first before everyone else. So, in this case it really is a win-win for them as lose nothing and have all to gain.

They get a $50 gift card.
LOL, he is just joking. Disney is giving full refunds.

I hate when companies hire hot chicks to pretend they like nerdy stuff. Just keep readin' off the cue card honey.
LOL. Hot chicks tend to have boyfriends, their Dad, brothers, uncles, or just male friends at school who are into video games and nerdy stuff, who then teach them all about it and how to play. There is no greater satisfaction then beating guys at video games, especially fighting games -- OMG the look on their face is priceless. Anyway, some hot chicks may just actually like nerdy stuff or Star Wars! The average gamer is 31 years old and 48% of all gamers are female.

Angry Warlock

One of the ones I'm not fond about:

I have an Annual Pass.
I can't get into special events and I accept that. It annoys me a bit at how much time special events take up (try seeing the MK at night between October and December and you'll realize that 4 out of 3 nights are MNSSHP or MVMCP). That makes it kind of suck, but, OK, they're neat events.

It also sort of stinks of the special ticketed events that they're kind of selling the park twice in one day. Want to go to the MK?? That's $100. Oh, you want to be there in the evening, too?? That'll be another $70.

In the last year or two they started charging for special events inside the events. It's like a VIP room at some high dollar club but, it's Disney.

It's stuff like this that, while I adhere steadfastly to "charge whatever the market will bear", makes me think, "Guys, this is really over the top."

It wouldn't surprise me if SWW became a special ticketed event and there was absolutely no change in price for the park-hopper option or a lowering of the price on the APs. Basically something like: All parks, except DHS because of SWW and it's a special ticketed event, equals the normal price + the normal park hopper. If you wanted to get into SWW that day, too, then it's another $125 because it's all day... and a special ticketed event.

It's like when you go to the airport and they say, "Hi.. OH! You wanted to take luggage with you on your trip to far away.. Well.. That'll be another $25!.. OH, you wanted to bring your luggage back with you on your return flight.. That'll be another $25!".. With airlines, I can understand charging for extra bags but it seems like the first one ought to just be included with the price, even if the price is a little higher, than playing idiot games.

What Disney does is a bit more egregious than what the airlines do. It's almost like selling you a drink and then up-charging you for the cup. "Oh, you wanted a cup to go with that drink. We didn't expect that. We do offer collector paper cups for an upcharge of $5 for your convenience. We also offer paper towels, $3/ea., as another option."
That luggage thing happens with short haul low cost airlines in the UK. Looks like we are exporting the philosophy to The USA rather than the other way around this time.

Crazydisneyfanluke

What kinds of limits do they have for items? I want a couple of things, but I don't want to be trampled by a bunch of neck-beards.
They haven't said anything about limits. The store will have disney parks, disney store, and retail stores merchandise.
They have two lines, one for the ticketed who payed in advanced (and got a refund) then another line for people who did not, they are expecting a lot of people but haven't filled the lines. About 100 people in line.

Wildeface

They haven't said anything about limits. The store will have disney parks, disney store, and retail stores merchandise.
They have two lines, one for the ticketed who payed in advanced (and got a refund) then another line for people who did not, they are expecting a lot of people but haven't filled the lines. About 100 people in line.
I'm here on vacation, so I might as well go check it out. I'm not expecting much, though.

Crazydisneyfanluke

They have a ring toss set up, make one and get a from SWW passholders poster.

Attachments

• 20150903_191700.jpg
    20150903_191700.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 87

Crazydisneyfanluke

Well, that was a bust. All I wanted was the Sphero, but they were charging a 50 dollar premium for it.
I went in for the pins, shirts (didn't have my size :( ) , and the remote control bb-8. Found out that was 200 dollars, so I moved on to the headphones, same price. I laughed and walked away.

Siren

Well, that was a bust. All I wanted was the Sphero, but they were charging a 50 dollar premium for it.
It's a bust for Disney and it's their loss not yours -- now you know to spend your money elsewhere. I can't believe Disney is actually price gouging their most popular toy(s) -- when all of the other retailers are selling it at the list price of $149.99.

I went in for the pins, shirts (didn't have my size :( ) , and the remote control bb-8. Found out that was 200 dollars, so I moved on to the headphones, same price. I laughed and walked away.
Awww, that's awful, but again it's Disney's loss -- buy your Star Wars stuff somewhere else. Also, I just checked and Brookstone still has the Sphero BB-8 App Controlled Droid in stock for $149.99 and free shipping -- you have to enter SHIP99 in the promo code box. They also have two day and overnight shipping. http://www.brookstone.com/sphero-bb...=main_banner_zone|hmpg|a|banner|1|bb8-939393p

The BB-8 was $200 ? its selling at $150 everywhere else
Yes, and it is kind of pathetic that Disney would choose to go that route -- all of the other retailers even Walmart upstaged Disney.last night.

Anyway, people came out in droves for Force Friday, it was a massive success. Twitter is blowing up right now with Star Wars fans, lol. https://twitter.com/hashtag/ForceFriday?src=tren

It's official: The Sphero BB-8 is *the* hottest toy this season. This cute little droid is much more than meets the eye. He is curious, intuitive and likes to explore. He has a mind of his own, responds to your voice and does so much more. This is the one that retails for $149.99

mcgi8p.jpg

24yadqv.jpg

OMG, I already *love* him!!!

The is another version of the BB-8 and it is the Hasbro Star Wars The Force Awakens Remote Control BB-8 -- it's available exclusively at Target and retails for $79.99. They were on pre order and many have sold out already, so check with the store and hopefully more will be in stock for Christmas.
bb8-remoteconrolled-target-360x372.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom